Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
 Heli receiver for airplane >

Heli receiver for airplane

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Heli receiver for airplane

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heli receiver for airplane

I recently bought a DX6i and upgraded my Honey bee FP. I now have a transmitter and reciever from the 4 in 1 on the heli and i was wondering if i could then use that in a foamie plane i was building. The plane will have its own ESC.....i was just wondering will it work so i dont have to buy a AR6100e.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:36 PM

Default RE: Heli receiver for airplane

im not sure but im thinking as long you have the right servos in the right ports it should work

what you have 3 servos on a foamy left right up down and pitch,. right?

then again the radio its self may not operate in the same mannor

wow maybe you should call tech support at a good online vendor that sells both heli`s and plane`s
Old 01-27-2009, 09:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Elite160

I recently bought a DX6i and upgraded my Honey bee FP. I now have a transmitter and reciever from the 4 in 1 on the heli and i was wondering if i could then use that in a foamie plane i was building. The plane will have its own ESC.....i was just wondering will it work so i dont have to buy a AR6100e.
Doesn't matter!! There is really no such thing as a heli or airplane only reciever. I fly several airplanes with a 6100 and 6200 and 7000 receivers. I used the same receivers in my helis. But ,,,The 4-1 will not work with the DX6I. You will have to use the old Honey bee transmitter. The 4-1 may be a little big for a foamie but it will probably work great. Would be interesting with the built in gyro on the rudder, just like some of the giant scale guys.

Enjoy!!!

Jim
Old 01-28-2009, 12:22 PM

I don't think it will work easily. The 4in1 unit is a combined receiver, gyro, mixer and esc. They all work together. In order to separate out the esc from the other parts you need to open up the unit and disconnect the two boards. Do a search for threads where people have modded these to use a brushless system.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:30 PM

Elite...I think Druss is right about the 4-in-1. You may also have a power issue...how to power both ESC & the 4-in-1.

Cool concept though....may be better off buying a 72 Mhz receiver and put the crystal from the 4-in-1 in that instead....that actually sounds like the path of least resistance if all you're trying to do is use the heli TX in the foamie.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:30 PM

You really don't want any mixing on a foamy.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:54 PM

I still stand by my statement. Usually mixing is in the transmitter and not the receiver. Here is a test. Plug the servos in and if you can work the servos individually left and right. If so, no sweat GI. Foamies can be 2 channels, 3 channels, 4 channel and up. Try it and let us know. Correct me if I am wrong but the FP is a fixed pitch? If so no mixing would be involved. So I see no problem.

Jim
Old 01-28-2009, 10:05 PM

i tend to agree that it should work just plug motor`s in to the elev channel
and the rest where they should be
Old 01-28-2009, 11:14 PM

dooleyje, in most cases you are correct about mixing (i.e., TX handles that). In this case the 4-in-1 has mixing in it irrespective of whether the FP needed it or not (it's 1 of the 4 parts of the 4 in 1), but with only 1 motor on that heli it didn't effect anything. That may or may not be an issue though (if the foamie has 2 motors...???). The real issue probably lies in the fact that foamie may have brushless power...if so, the brushed powered 4-in-1 won't be able to power the foamie's ESC/motor. It could work...but UGHH....what a PITA job for a crappy gyro.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:12 AM

I would say that we can agree to disagree and still be wonderful freinds. In part you are also correct if the heli he was referring was a ccpm verson with pitch control. The FP is actually only a 4 channel receiver with no pitch control so there will be no ccpm mixing. The right and left servo are seperate in control and function. The motor is not mixed with the pitch. It is not a coaxle heli so the motors are not mixed with the gyro, The rudder or tail does have a gyro involved but that no problem either. Plug a servo in where the tail motor was and enjoy the gyro for torque rolls. I do agree that a brushless motor would not work if the heli had no such setup and you will have to use the internal ESC. I would just use a motor of the same type and current draw and get a foamie that matches the power provided. Of course it is possible. I have seen it done. Sometimes we can think out of the box and acheive great things.

Jim
Old 01-29-2009, 04:41 PM

I would say that we can agree to disagree and still be wonderful freinds.
Ditto to that....I enjoy discussing projects and hearing other opinions. All too often people argue with the intent to win rather than to have a lively debate....heck maybe once in a while you learn something!

In part you are also correct if the heli he was referring was a ccpm verson with pitch control.
I think you misunderstood me...I tried to say the HBFP doesn't need mixing due to only 1 main motor and it's FP. We're on the same page!

Of course it is possible. I have seen it done. Sometimes we can think out of the box and acheive great things.
I hear ya that it could work...converting brushed to brushless happens all the time. For me personally, I would never downgrade the likely brushless system that Elite160 probably has for his foamie for a brushed system just to use the 4in1's gyro for torque rolls. Speaking of which, torque rolls need a 1 to 1 power and if you convert to brushed more than likely that will be a huge thrust reduction. Brushed systems are so inefficient. [:'(]

Old 01-29-2009, 05:21 PM

Where is Jensen Beach. I am from Miami originally. Now I am in NC in the Charlotte area.

Jim
Old 01-29-2009, 06:52 PM

Jim - Jensen Beach is about 100 miles north of Miami on the east coast. I actually lived in miami too.....6 years while going to school at FIU (BS & MS). I have since hopscotched my way up the east coast over the last 10 years from Sweetwater & Kendall to N miami, to Delray Bch, to Palm City and now I've settle my bones in Jensen Beach....which used to be a pineapple plantation back when Flagler's original rails were still in operation. I love this area.

Loved living in Miami when I was there too, but am glad I'm in a more peaceful setting ya know

Way way back I once went to a Jimmy Buffet concert in Charlotte and was amazed at all the good looking chicks everywhere....I almost didn't leave Charlotte that weekend.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:40 PM

ORIGINAL: FLYGUY09

Jim - Jensen Beach is about 100 miles north of Miami on the east coast. I actually lived in miami too.....6 years while going to school at FIU (BS & MS). I have since hopscotched my way up the east coast over the last 10 years from Sweetwater & Kendall to N miami, to Delray Bch, to Palm City and now I've settle my bones in Jensen Beach....which used to be a pineapple plantation back when Flagler's original rails were still in operation. I love this area.

Loved living in Miami when I was there too, but am glad I'm in a more peaceful setting ya know

Way way back I once went to a Jimmy Buffet concert in Charlotte and was amazed at all the good looking chicks everywhere....I almost didn't leave Charlotte that weekend.
Yep the country girls here are not a great looking as my beautiful wife.

Jim
Old 01-29-2009, 08:57 PM

Sounds like our wives are pretty lucky to have us huh? ....althought if you asked my in-laws it's the other way around [&o]
Old 01-29-2009, 09:31 PM

OK well what it worked. i Wasnt trying to ues it for gyro or anything. I was just using the reciever for it....with a seperate esc and brushless motor. Everything works fine....just thought i would update....now to assemble the darn thing
Old 01-29-2009, 10:37 PM

How did you connect it all?