Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

mSR or novus CP ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 03:19 PM
nilsreinert123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mSR or novus CP ??

Hello

I am a Blade mCX flyer , and have shortened the flybar to make it more wild. I am an experienced giant airplane flyer who likes challenges .
Now i am looking for a more challenging livingroom heli , the mSR looks very cool , but will it be boring after a while ? maybe i should jump directly to the 3d novus CP ?? Or are there other micro helis around?
Old 11-01-2009, 03:58 PM
LaserSVT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: mSR or novus CP ??

LOL! I have been wondering the same thing for a couple weeks now! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9197463/tm.htm

I have done so much research its rediculous. Here is what I have discovered. The Novus CP is a gen 1 Walkera 4G3 so really the 4G3 is the better bet. Same heli but better frame, servos, rx. You DO NOT WANT the non full brushless setup. The tails last about 20 flights and maybe 100 for the main but its tough flying. The brushless upgrade makes it much easier to fly but its still very very difficult. You will be able to fly a full T-Rex 450 3D much easier.

The mSR is a 100x easier to fly and much more fun. Parts are very robust and if you seaarch videos on YouTube you can see how much dammage they can take and just be picked up and reflown. I cant believe the impacts I have seen and they are fine. I also found a 400 page thread on the mSR and whats being done. So far really only the tail motor cap and blade grips are the issues. The blade grips only problem is that when it breaks people usually loose the feathering shaft washers but the replacement feathering shafts come with a couple spare bushings and the grips are cheap. Some people have problems with TBE and the metal grips so I would keep the stockers. The tail motor problem is solved with putting some heat shrink on the motors cap and that keeps it from popping off in a severe crash.
The heli seems to be good for 250-300 flights before the motors wear out but again, they are cheap.
The flybar wears out after 150 flights so its good to have an extra on hand.

The mSR also has a couple advanced settings to help you grow. You can set the factory radio for more servo controll on center stick and the controll links on the head have to settings too. Then there is the Cusker mod that gives more throw on the pitch and with that mod it can do loops. There is also a mod to shorten the servo horns on the swash plate that make the heli have an insaine ammount of pitch for some super fast flying and allows for loops and barrel rolls.

I just ordered my mSR and several spare parts plus 6 batteries on Friday after being turned off by a micro CP heli. Its cheaper to buy and maintain plus you will be practicing flying instead of repairing.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:11 PM
nilsreinert123

Thank you for the reply laser ,and sharing your week-long research!

The fact that the mSR can be modded to do loops and rolls is cool and what i am looking for. i think i also will order an mSR bnf .

BTW . Texas is a nice place , i was in College Station 6 yrs ago , and loved it , Chicken Oil was great
Old 11-07-2009, 08:24 PM
matty_p80

nils, i have just got the mSR and it's a real blast! with the additional settings on the head available i'm sure you won't get bored with it

Norway is kinda cool too! i spent many a month over several years in Bardufoss doing cold weather ops. with the Royal Navy (ex-Seaking MkIV mechanic), loved it very much!

Matty )}}}}]@>
Old 11-08-2009, 12:22 AM
LaserSVT

Forgot about this thread. I got my mSR too and it is the best micro heli in the world!

Flys great, really quick and responsive and its unbelievably durable. I flew my Shark 450 twice today (if you can call it that) and had to collisions. I replaced: 2-feathering shafts, two links, 2-blades, main gear, autorotation gear, training landing gear and a fly bar.
My mSR I flew about 20 times. Had four or five collisions from flying it at 15+MPH in the house and didnt break a damn thing or even knock it out of alignment.
They are killer tiny helis! There are some nice mods comming out and one guy has already made a full brushless one with 60% more thrust. Stock ones have been clocked at 35 mph and were not at full speed! Its a great heli and you will not be dissapointed.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Sasquatchin

Ibought a novus CP, had it for less then 1 battery charge. It was the poorest construction Ihave seen. Half way through the battery charge, the tail rotor gears stopped messing and it went spinning out of control. The tail rotor mount was also spinning on the tail boom (even after tightening).

Itook it back to the LHS to exchange it, and decided to open the box while Iwas there...the new one was the same as the other. Makes me doubt the little sticker that says "Quality Control passed". Who are their QC people to let crap like that pass?

Ihave 2 helimax heli's (a novus CX, and the AXE CPv3) wich Ilove, but Ithink Iam done with buying Novus products.

Ijust bought my first e-flight (cx2) to fly around inside during the winter, and this thing is a blast, and way better constructed then Iexpected.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:44 PM
nilsreinert123

I am still waiting on the Blade mSR , looking forward to it ! I have also bought a used Raptor 50v2 BTW.

Matty ; i was serving in the army in Bardufoss from 2002-03
Old 11-14-2009, 02:57 PM
nilsreinert123

i have received the msr and flown it , and i think it was very dissapointing heli for livingroom flying , my MCX with modded flybar is better for livingroom flying - the best thing about buying the msr was the charger ! The MSR is wild and uncontrollable . mine is grounded after one day , servo isnt working ,and landingskids broke after 5 flights. The MSR is maybe better in a gym or outside , but then i would have bought a 450 cp electric instead.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:04 AM
twoslick2

LOL just give it a chance............................it's a different heli than the mcx..............lots more to control!