Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Raptor 60 Head/Rotor help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Raptor 60 Head/Rotor help

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 12:31 PM
APGSpyder
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 60 Head/Rotor help

I had scored a complete raptor 60 not too long ago that took a rough landing and looks like it was staright down. After inspecting the machine it appeared that all that was in need of replacement was the tail boom from a bend at the frame and not a rotor strike... rear fin and the landing gear. I replaced all of those and went through the manual to verify all of the connecting rods to the head. Looked goo according to the manual anyway. Set it up on the training gear with a fresh set of 680mm carbon blades... fired it up and I saw the worst head wobble/woof before the rotors were even up to speed to think about getting off of the ground. Thins unfortunately caused a boom strike. Anython have any thoughts or ideas as to what would cause such a wobble/flutter well before takeoff speed? Blades were balanced, copter was balaned with the gear mounted, checked the servose for slop and didn't appear to be any nor could I notice any binding.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Raptor 60 Head/Rotor help

I replace the main shaft and spindle after every crash at least I take it out and check it on a glass surface or on my friend's lathe for "straightness".

Otherwise, Raptors are known to have soft ball links that strip the threads on hard landings. Check them all out. They could seem good at the bench but when you apply a load they give out.

Without seeing the carnage I can't provide much more help.

Rafael
Old 11-07-2009, 01:57 PM
APGSpyder

I'll get some shots of the damage and the head to see if it will help. I was totally caught off guard to see this happen at about 1/4 throttle.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:13 PM
APGSpyder

Here are some shots of after.. The training gear I'm using is a six legged pod that swivels. The copter did just rotate counter clockwise and I couldn't stop it so I assume that I need to reverse the gyo. I put red arrows to where linkage is now bent and if I grab one blade and twist it to manually go through the pitch cycle the other does not move with it... I assume due to the bent rods.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pn36632.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	1309426   Click image for larger version

Name:	da83226.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	1309427   Click image for larger version

Name:	sq45823.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1309428   Click image for larger version

Name:	vt57710.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	1309429   Click image for larger version

Name:	lj23075.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	1309430   Click image for larger version

Name:	mj24273.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	1309431   Click image for larger version

Name:	db85368.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	1309432  
Old 11-07-2009, 04:29 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude! DON'T even start that heli up! What a mess!

You're washout block is upside down causing your mixing arms to be waaaaaaaaaaayyyy out of line with the pitch yoke.

The clown who put this together should take up model railroading.

.... A 'purpose bent' pitch link to have the flybar control arm line up??!!?? Deadly to say the least.

Rip the head down (do the whole heli for that matter) and start from scratch.... BY THE BOOK!

Good luck bro.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:25 PM
APGSpyder

Crapmaster.. now I see.. the mixing pushrods are where the pitch pushrods are supposed to be. Someone didn't read the book right getting this together! My bad as well for not verifying though....

I have to admit that not having anyone local does make this challenging when this is all new. Airplanes.. not a problem bit this is a whole different realm. Getting my list of parts to get it back together. I'm not ready to drop it yet as I know that once its right I'll get hooked.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As stated before, the washout block is where I would start. Then check the spindle and mainshaft.

Rafael
Old 11-12-2009, 08:04 AM
wangchi

oh?it seems that there are two incommen size sticks each side ,so when it works there are the different power each side!`mines has ever came out once like that!~ 
Old 11-12-2009, 09:53 AM
APGSpyder

Waiting for new parts to arrive...
main shaft - was bent by about 1mm
Linkage rods for the head - some were bent to get them to fit in the incorrect locations as can be seen in the photos
fly bar - definately tweaked
obvious tail components.

The spindle checked out straight... yes the washout block was upside down. Turned it over and everything lines up the way it is supposed to. Hopefully I'll get everything in so I can get it all back together soon before the weather gets too much colder here.