Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Can I Use 2 Tx to control One Heli?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Can I Use 2 Tx to control One Heli?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 01:14 AM
wyobob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I Use 2 Tx to control One Heli?

I would like to split flight controls between two operators each with his own transmitter and control responsibility - one for flight control/navigation and one for camera control. Is it possible to have two 2.4GHz transmitters controlling one heli? Is it possible to bind two 2.4GHztransmitters to one receiver, each using mutually exclusive channels? Or can I use two independent pairs of 2.4GHz Tx and Rx?
Old 03-12-2010, 03:18 AM
TakeshiSkunk

Default RE: Can I Use 2 Tx to control One Heli?

You won't be able to bind 2 Txs to the same Rx on the same profile. You could use a buddy box and have each person use different controls.

Either way if you wanted a Tx to control a camera (I'm assuming you mean for moving it around) you probably won't have enough channels with one Rx anyway.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: wyobob

I would like to split flight controls between two operators each with his own transmitter and control responsibility - one for flight control/navigation and one for camera control. Is it possible to have two 2.4GHz transmitters controlling one heli? Is it possible to bind two 2.4GHz transmitters to one receiver, each using mutually exclusive channels?
As stated before, no you cannot do this. It goes absolutely against all that is seen as beneficial on the 2.4 systems.

Or can I use two independent pairs of 2.4GHz Tx and Rx?
2 radios and 2 receivers is your only option. You need to do some research. This is being done quite frequently by most of the picture takers from remote controlled vehicles.

Look closely at the following picture. It was taken from an RC helicopter. The guy in the middle of the field is flying the helicopter. The guy at the edge of the porch is looking at a monitor to line up the shot with a second remote. Picture taken from here: [link]http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t431441p1/[/link] Pilot is Ken Stitt and I am on the camera controls.

Rafael
Old 03-12-2010, 01:19 PM
TakeshiSkunk

Hah that's really cool, first I've seen something like this. I've noticed a lot of vibration in a lot of heli-mounted cam videos I've seen, does that make it harder to line up the shots?
Old 03-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: TakeshiSkunk

Hah that's really cool, first I've seen something like this. I've noticed a lot of vibration in a lot of heli-mounted cam videos I've seen, does that make it harder to line up the shots?
Helicopters are vibration generators, there is no way around it. The goal is to minimize vibrations with a good set-up. That picture was taken with a bone stock Bergen Observer ([link=http://bergenrc.com/Observer.php]Link Here[/link]) and an off-the-shelf 7-megapixel camera. No fancy editing, no vibration correction, no post picture editing. That is the picture as it came out of the camera's memory stick.

For more pictures like this one, you can surf this site:
[link]http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/f25p1/?top=1268428359[/link]
Specifically this thread:
[link]http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t32252p1/?top=1268428428[/link]

It was a breeze to line up the shot that day. The only problem we had was trying to communicate between the pilot and I since we were so far away. That heli is smooth as silk.

Rafael
Old 03-12-2010, 09:23 PM
wyobob

Thanks.I will probably be getting a 9 channel radio to handle everything. So I guess I would have to get two of them and connect with a slave cable. Or maybe two recievers with 6 channels each would be a cheaper solution if they didn't interfere with each other and add too much weight to the heli.