Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

New Pilot

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 07:05 PM
RC Iron Cross
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Pilot

I am a new pilot to the RC Heli World. My raptor 30 should arrive anytime this week. I eventually want a bigger gasser with a zenoah engine or silmilar. I was wondering if it will be a good idea to start flying with gasser instead of the raptor. I heard the gassers are sluggish and parts are more expensive. I was looking at something like an X-cell or a Vario and to eventually turn it into a scale. Any advice on this? I can trade my raptor for a gasser instead. Thank you
Old 07-16-2003, 08:18 PM
randy41

Default New Pilot

Well: I know somebody that has a x cell 60 with a gaser
in it and ITS NOT SLUGISH. I THINK ITS A ZENOAH G23.
He also has a fury with a os61 and i think the gaser and it
is close in performance and so does he.
As far as parts i think there not much difference.
The gaser is mean looking and sounding(pull start yea baby).
I also will have a gaser in my next helli which will be a 60 or
90 size.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:30 PM
RC Iron Cross

Default New Pilot

But would it be a bad idea to learn to fly on a gasser as opposed to a raptor 30?
Old 07-16-2003, 08:41 PM
Spaceman Spiff

Default New Pilot

I haven't flown a big gasser, but the R30 seems pretty stable to me, easier than the simulator i learned on. parts are realatively cheap too, crash kits as low as 36$ are available for the rappy. the other side to this is the nitro is expensive, and you will go thru a gallon or more in a weekend, if you are able to keep the number of crashes down, a gasser might very well be as cheap to run/maintain as the raptor.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:48 PM
randy41

Default New Pilot

Originally posted by RC Iron Cross
But would it be a bad idea to learn to fly on a gasser as opposed to a raptor 30?
I dont think it would be a bad idea. If i had to do over
i would have bought a 60 or 90 size with a gasser
to begin with. I like the pull start and no glow plug
on the gasser. TAKE IT TO THE FIELD WITH FUEL AND RADIO
AND BATTERY CHARGER AND FLY LIKE A BAT OUT
OF HELL. LOL

No glow plug igniter or glow plug.
No starter or starter wand.
No need to go to hobby shop for gas(pump it your self and mix it)
Think about it. Nice i think.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:24 PM
RC Iron Cross

Default New Pilot

everyone I spoke to recommended me to start out with a raptor 30 but now that I am doing my own research i am leaning more towards the gasser. I don't want to have to keep buying a new heli everytime my skills improve. I want a heli that I can learn to fly with and not have to upgrade to another one for a while. A gasser seems like the right option. I already ordered the raptor and it should be here any day. I need to make up my mind and keep the raptor or sell it before I even lay hands on it to get the gasser. What do you guys think about this?
Old 07-17-2003, 12:32 PM
`3D

Default New Pilot

I am a new pilot to the RC Heli World
I don't want to have to keep buying a new heli everytime my skills improve.

The cost of repairs on the larger heli's is ten fold to the Raptor.

I've seen minor crashes on the big birds cost $600 or more, You can get a Rappy back in the air for under a $100.

Besides, you'll have something to fly when your waiting for parts for the gasser(later on).

There is a .60 Raptor too.
Old 07-17-2003, 03:14 PM
Spaceman Spiff

Default New Pilot

I recently go the R50. It is based on the frame and most parts of the 30, but it uses the OS 50 SXH and bigger blades. I don't have a lot of time on it yet but so far it seems like a sweety. Noticably more stable, great performance, less tweeking to keep the temperature and power where you want them (a real headache with the smaller engine) and it is likely something you will want to keep longer than the 30, although i see a few guys who have been flying for years still have fun with the 30, i thingk if i could do it again i would have gone straight for the R50.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:07 PM
RC Iron Cross

Default New Pilot

I initially wanted to get the R50 because I thought it may be more stable than the R30. How much money would I spend to convert the 30 to an R50? Do you think that the R50 would be better to learn to fly with? or should i stick with the 30
Old 07-17-2003, 11:09 PM
Spaceman Spiff

Default New Pilot

I don't think the V2 conversiond kits are out yet, but the V1 conversion is around 75$ but it comes with wood blades, and littel else. i like the fiberglass or carbon blades, so i will probably get all the parts separatly and it will probably cost 120 or so to upgrade without engine. i think the OS50 SHX is around 170$ (?). i am not sure what i paid for the Raptor 50 kit, but i think it was around 550? and came with carbon blades, good muffler, metal swashplate and frame support that you don't get with the R39 kit or ARF. might be best to send the kit back and get the R50 kit if you have your eye on that.

It is hard to say if the 50 will be easier to learn on. the plusses are; it feels a littel more stable, the settings are easier and more stable (keep in mind i have low hours at this point, but that is what i see, and have heard from others) the minus is there is a little more money and power involved, so you are more likely to get nervous flying it. for me learning to fly was done on the simulator and it was easy, i could hover upside down inches from the "ground" and keep it anywhere i want it. Flips, piros just about anything, no problem, but on the real thing it is hard not to wet your pants the first few times you make a mistake and it heads tward you. I don't know you, but i hear a lot of folks get the "Heli shakes" real bad for a while. for me that and keeping track of orientation when you are nervous is the real chalange.

Pretty sure that the 30 sized is already pretty stable. even in mild wind (10MPh or so) you barely feel it. If i decide to get a bigger heli in the future it will be for power, not for more stability.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:11 AM
HenryS
My Feedback: (5)

Default New Pilot

I've been hovering my new x-cell se for bout almost 2 full gallons now, and have hovered it sucessfully twice (two tanks each time), without stilts. I also have a concept 30dx, that has upgraded grips and all, but when I tried to get it to hover, the controls felt flimsy, and much less so called "in control" than my se, my se has digitals all around with a 601 gyro, the price was also digital, several digits....but its sweet, and I know that as I progress sucessfully I will enjoy it more. I also, heard from throughout, that digitals, and a tight machine, will be easier to control, however, with the pucker facker added in, the fifty sized heli ( I heard the hirobo seadue 50 with the os46 (to save fuel) is the bomb combo) is the way to go, plenty of power for all your 3d needs, and stability, and as a bonus, price to fix'em will be cheaper. I'm thinking bout getting one, for a winter project. Last thing, get the best radio you can afford, it will serve you for all your needs, I use a 9chp. anyway, I really hope you enjoy your new heli, whatever you choose. my 2 cents
Old 07-18-2003, 05:11 AM
RC Iron Cross

Default New Pilot

Well, my raptor arrived today and so did my Airtronics RD8000. I also bought the Futaba GY401 with the S9253 servo. The other servos are the ones that came with the radio.Everything looks cool. I think I may keep this one and not buy the R50 since it's already here. I don't want to have to sell it for less than what I paid for it and spend more money on the R50. What opinions do you guys have about the radio?
Old 07-18-2003, 06:11 AM
Spaceman Spiff

Default New Pilot

Never used that radio, but it is a popular choice. That gyro and servo are great. be sure to put a piece of tape over the switch and pots on the top to keep water and fuel out of it.

i was out with my rappy 39 this evening trying out a modified idle needle and settings. getting the settings right makes a huge difference in how it behaves. it won't keep up with the 50, but it aint shabby. I still am going to upgrade, but its going to be a while.

forgot to mention the smaller engine gets 20 minutes from a tank, the 50 gets less than 10.

there is a great web site with all kinds of great info. www.raptortechnique.com

Best of luck, be sure to get some experienced help with getting it set up and running. makes a world of difference.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:27 PM
RC Iron Cross

Default New Pilot

Thanks for everything