Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Pinion Gears bent

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 10:48 PM
tecboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinion Gears bent

Does anyone knows why these pinion gears' teeth bent?

Old 05-04-2010, 01:35 AM
Ybenjulkay2x

Default RE: Pinion Gears bent

Out of gear mesh adjustment?
Old 05-04-2010, 02:58 AM
karlik

They don't look bent they look worn on one side.

Is the other gear they mesh with made of titanium or depleted uranium?
Old 05-04-2010, 11:20 AM
tecboy

The main gear looks like made of plastic. What are you talking about gear made of titanium or depleted uranium?
Old 05-04-2010, 12:33 PM
tdmoss61

as was said earlier, check the mesh of the gears. it looks like the mesh is too loose, therefore wearing down the upper right portion of each tooth. the teeth dont appear to be bent, just worn out from being too loose. use a sheet of paper in between the gear and pinion when you mesh them together, make sure to use a new pinion and gear if both are worn out. that will more than likely solve your problem.........hope this helps..................
Old 05-04-2010, 12:50 PM
tecboy

Okay, I'll take your words for it. The main gear for my helicopter has one tooth grinded off. I assume what causes the pinion gears to wear out. I though that was the minor problem.

Does anyone heard of Rhino Gears? I guess Rhino gears are tougher than the regulator bass pinion gears.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:11 PM
karlik

I was serious about the teeth looking worn on one side rather than bent.

It’s hard to imagine that a plastic can wear down a brass one like that so I was joking about the titanium. Sorry if that confused you. As said, replace both gears.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:48 PM
drobin

The Rhino gears are good but I found they are hard on plastic gears. Ate up the main gear on my trex 450. So I went back to brass until I can fly better.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:14 PM
tecboy

That is interesting to know a Rhino gear can wears out the main gear, likewise, the main gear can wears the brass pinion gear.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:47 AM
tdmoss61

yea, when those gears spin at high speeds like that it will. any misalignment just causes more friction and heat. it usually gives itself away by making a loud noise or whining. with a pinion worn like that, it should have worn a groove all the way around the main gear. if everything was meshed properly before and the motor shifted in the adjustment slots, then you should also make sure that you locktite the motor screws this time to ensure it dosent happen again. vibration is always a factor...........td
Old 05-05-2010, 03:21 PM
tecboy

ORIGINAL: tdmoss61

as was said earlier, check the mesh of the gears. it looks like the mesh is too loose, therefore wearing down the upper right portion of each tooth. the teeth dont appear to be bent, just worn out from being too loose. use a sheet of paper in between the gear and pinion when you mesh them together, make sure to use a new pinion and gear if both are worn out. that will more than likely solve your problem.........hope this helps..................
I tried using a piece of papers in between the main gear and pinion gear, however, too high will not spin with a brushless motor. The mesh is too lose can spin improperly. It is hard keep the mesh not too lose and not too tight.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:46 PM
tdmoss61

if you use a single strip of paper. just maybe 2" long, an 1/8 of an inch wide. do not use 2 or 3 strips of paper together, just one thin strip slide it in between the pinion gear and the main gear, then slide the motor pinion up against the main gear. not a lot of pressure, but just firm enough for the paper to seat in the gears. at this point, you should see a good mesh and no play. now while holding this mesh stationary, tighten down the motor screws. now turn the main gear until the paper is free. the paper should have nice defined creases when you take it out. this should leave a perfect mesh. also as i said before, make sure you put a tiny bit of locktite on the motor screws before you start all this, so all you will have to do is tighten them down. i have done mine exactly like this every time, and it always comes out near perfect. let me know how it goes...................td[8D]
Old 05-06-2010, 08:42 PM
tecboy

Thanks for helping me out. I think I know what is the real problem. The frame for my 6-channel helicopter is made of plastic. When the brushless motor get hot, the frame where the motor mounted get deformed. Causing the pinion gear misaligned with the main gear. I replaced the pinion gear, the main gear and the frame. I used the paper method, and the helicopter is working very well and much quieter than before.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:14 PM
tdmoss61

glad to hear that you got everything straightened out. happy flying!!........td