Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Best 500 chopper for noob?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Best 500 chopper for noob?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 04:30 PM
cg092009

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 500 chopper for noob?

Hi folks, first post on the forum, and new to the community.
Have not discovered any local clubs, expertsor meets just yet.

Doing a lot of research to learn as much as possible before purchasing a heli.
Intend to start on a simulator once I purchase a radio. Looking at the Futuba 7C.

Had started out considering the Kyosho Caliber 5, but now not so sure, Iam discovering so many other manufacturers and 500 series models.
My goal is to have a high quality CP, large nitro heli that will last, and that I can get a Huey UH-1 scale body for, and then mount a small lightweight digital camera underneath.
Expect to spend about $1000 on heli, radio and all the bits to get started flying (sans sim).

Iam having a lot of trouble finding a UH-1 scale body for a Caliber 5. Not sure what make/model alternative I should look at instead? to ensure I can get a goodscale body for UH-1.

Can anyone advise me if Caliber 5 is a good pick for what I need here, and if not what might be better?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Best 500 chopper for noob?

I'm not familiar with the Caliber heli but the Raptor 50 Titan I believe has a UH-1 scale body you can buy for it. You can check it out at heliproz.com
Old 07-19-2010, 11:47 PM
bauerbach

Id consider electric, I think it might be smoother, more reliable, cleaner, when it comes to mounting a camera to it. trex 500 if you dont mind that route. electric has come on par with nitro at this point.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:57 PM
rotor09

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, the best 500 size electric heli for a newbie is an electric 550 - Like the Century Swift NX (mine cost me less to get into the air then my T450!!).

Once you are bigger then the 450 class, all your flying is limited to being outdoors - here you will really find why bigger is better.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:29 PM
dude7422

the best one is the one that has tons of parts surport so the trex 500 is king... hobby king imo
plus many ebay sellers have cheap parts for trex 500
Old 08-07-2010, 03:48 PM
Beachcomber

Hey CG, welcome to the forum and the hobby. Warning, it's addictive.

You might already know this, but in case not I'll give you a heads up about something. As a beginner in the world of RC helis, there is a good chance that during your steep learning curve you will have a few ... hard landings, or worse. It might be worthwile for you to look for the heli you described above as your second heli. In other words, don't beat up a nice heli with beginner mistakes. It can be very frustrating to crash a $1000 heli on the first try. Just something to consider.

I agree with the preference for electric power, especially if you're looking at camera work. The exhaust of a glow/nitro engine can mess up a good camera.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:19 AM
heaven66

Hi CG, I agreed with Beachcomber. it is better to start with Elecotric Heli before stepped to Nitro Heli . to gain more experence indoor , then outdoors . also it is risky to play Nirtro Heli outdoor for a newbie.

Futuba Remote controller is great , and Thundertiger is wonderful also . you can buy a cheaper RC HELI to get experence firstly from http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/2...elicopter.html

Hope it would be help

Heaven
Old 08-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Nova5

Warning.. Spammer Detected. All units open fire!