Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Revo Mix (AKA not using a gyro)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Revo Mix (AKA not using a gyro)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 01:31 PM
impulse09
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo Mix (AKA not using a gyro)

Revo mix (in Futaba land anyways) means mixing rudder to throttle/collective correct? Does this mean that a gyro can be left out completely?

TIA

DS
Old 11-28-2010, 03:16 PM
ptb

Default RE: Revo Mix (AKA not using a gyro)

[8D]It depends on what you are trying to fly ! Revo mix is from way back, it was used to counteract torque, on nitro heli 's .
It helped when getting on the throttle or off the throttle. With today's heli's, (electrics ) it is almost impossible to fly them without a gyro.
They are too touchy !!!! And you disable this feature .
Back in the seventies, my son and I, used to shut off the gyro, and fly. This was with nitro birds. Using revo mix .
Old 11-28-2010, 03:28 PM
impulse09

It would be on a nitro scale bird. It should fly slow and look pretty while doing it. Since I won't be banging on the left stick, I would think revo would be more than enough to handle torque issues.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:58 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Let me know how you make out with it.

It was done back in the day because we didn't have heading hold and in many cases no gyros at all.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:22 PM
rotor09

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Historically we used it without gyros (setting up a good throttle curve that would insure a constant head speed, really is a big plus) and it did help. But it was still not as easy to control the tail as using revo-mixing in conjunction with the yaw rate gyros when they became available. These were initially mechanical gyros which then progressed into yaw rate gyros that used piezo elements for sensing yaw changes, and finally into piezo HH gyros and now HH with the MEMS type of sensors.

With the instant torque available with electric power, it would be interesting to see if it would react fast enough to a quick positive collective input.

Today, learning how to properly set throttle curves and revo-mixing (with its companion acceleration mixing), seems to have become a long forgotten art.

I too would be curious to see how you make out.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:08 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: impulse09

Revo mix (in Futaba land anyways) means mixing rudder to throttle/collective correct? Does this mean that a gyro can be left out completely?

TIA

DS

I do not believe that the people before me were clear enough. IF you want your helicopter to survive your attempt, DON'T DO IT!

Revo mix was used with non-heading hold gyros. A LONG time ago, there were no gyros and if you intended to fly helis you had to fly that way. Now with the technology available EVERYBODY uses them. You will destroy your helicopter the first time you take it out without a gyro.

If you still decide to go that route, make sure you have a video camera with you at the time. It will be interesting.

Rafael
Old 11-30-2010, 09:29 AM
rotor09

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rotor09

I too would be curious to see how you make out.

I agree 100% with Rafael23cc.

Maybe I should have added the following to the statement in the quote above from my earlier post;

....because I bet that you will crash many times while you learned the art of setting your heli up without a gyro. These crashes will cost you a lot more then would a simple gyro that would keep you from those unnecessary crashes.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:02 PM
impulse09

Yeah reading between the lines in the posts was telling to film it for the masses . The subject is purely academic for me at this point. That's the reason I got up here to ask the experts. But if I do try it, I'll film it .

-DS