Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

RCScrewz T-Rex 450 SST Screw Kit Review

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

RCScrewz T-Rex 450 SST Screw Kit Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 01:45 PM
clp.eng
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCScrewz T-Rex 450 SST Screw Kit Review

NOTE: I submitted this review to the MFR & he declined to comment.

RCScrewz.com Heli Screw Kit Review

I decided to build a 450 size heli that was a clone of the Align T-Rex SE V2 and I wanted to use higher end parts. My previous experience with heli builds was that the hardware was not of the highest quality.

Based on what I saw and heard around the Internet, I chose the T-Rex SE V2 screw kit (alg003) from RCScrewz.com. The website describes this kit as “Stainless Screw Kits are 100% complete. Your new kit will include everything needed to do a full conversion and more. “ I purchased my kit from HeliDirect.

I used the Align T-Rex SE V2 manual parts list as my reference since I was building a clone of this bird. So the first thing I did was make a list of all the screws, nuts, and washers in the parts list. Then I compared what came with the kit to see how “complete†it really was.

The comparison showed that there were no “collar†screws, no ball link screws or self taping screws in the kit. There were a couple of other sizes that were missing from the kit as well.

I sent the company an email and 45 minutes later, Keith Bergevin owner sent a reply. Concerning the self taping screws he said “self tapping/wood type screws are replaced by machine threads...3 times more holding power...will never back out under vibrationâ€. Concerning the “collar†screws, he said “Also 2mm & 2.5mm screws do not come collared..stainless a4 is stronger than steel and does not require collarsâ€.

He mentioned that some of this information was on the website but since I didn’t purchase the screws directly from him I never looked around this site.

The lack of screws with collars concerned me and I asked a couple of people I considered knowledgeable about such things and got two different opinions. So not being an expert I have to leave this issue open except to say, I will NOT replace the “collar†screws on this build.

Concerning the missing screws, I had them four days later!

However, the screws that were provided for the ball links were standard Phillips head screws that will not fit in the ball because the head is too big. This is unfortunate because I would have liked to replace these screws with stainless steel as well. So the kit is not quite “completeâ€.

Keith claimed his people said they worked. See the picture. The screw on the far right is what came with the heli kit. The screw in the middle and on the left was from RCScrewz. Note how much larger the head of his screw is than the proper one. He did not say how his flight crew got these to work. I’ll be forced to use the stock screws.

A note about servo screws: none are listed in the manual and none came with the kit. So you are on your own for those.

The screws seem to be of high quality. I threaded a lot of them on the aluminum pieces that are going into the build and they went in with out a hitch. I used the included hex key (Allen) wrenches that came with the kit, a very nice touch.

I started the build using these screws with the Align thread lock fluid (T43). I let the thread locker cure over night and the screws were in good and tight. The heads of the screws are taller than the cup washers just so you know!

Pros: high quality screws and plenty of spares; appears to be a good value

Cons: poor quality control as a lot of screws missing; wrong ball screws and no resolution to the problem.

Conclusion: The ultimate test will come after that 1st crash to determine how much better these are than the stock hardware. I think they will be much better. Will I buy these again? Only if I can’t find any other hardware kit.

Chuck

EDIT 27FEB11
UPDATE!

As I'm building the heli, I noticed that some of the hex heads are knurled & some are not. I like the knurl better as it makes it easier to finger start the screw.

I was trying to decide which screws to use for plastic base - the ones recommended by the vendor or self taping. After some thought I went with the machine screws provided with the kit. They went in OK but are hard to tell when they are fully seated. I might have stripped one plastic hole using too much force.

On the SuperSkids I'm using, the plastic appears to be harder then the base plate as it was very hard to start the machine screws in the plastic. I ended up countersinking the holes to help them get strated. With the harder plastic, it was easy to feel when they were snug & I did not strip any of the holes.

Also, it was pointed out to me that the blades (main & tail) use the collar screws as well. There are no lock nuts for the blade screws either!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20763.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	1570307  
Old 02-27-2011, 08:57 AM
ptb

Default RE: RCScrewz T-Rex 450 SST Screw Kit Review

What is a collar screw ?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:16 AM
clp.eng

ptb - it's the screw that has a portion of the body without threads where a bearing fits. Usually used on the head & tail bearings. The discussion was whether or not the thread is the same diameter as the collar. If not, the bearing might be a bit sloppy.

Chuck
Old 02-27-2011, 09:55 AM
ptb

Ok, we use to call them shoulder bolt's .
Old 02-27-2011, 11:09 AM
clp.eng

The Align manual calls them "collar screws".
Old 02-27-2011, 11:17 AM
clp.eng

UPDATE!

As I'm building the heli, I noticed that some of the hex heads are knurled & some are not. I like the knurl better as it makes it easier to finger start the screw.

I was trying to decide which screws to use for plastic base - the ones recommended by the vendor or self taping. After some thought I went with the machine screws provided with the kit. They went in OK but are hard to tell when they are fully seated. I might have stripped one plastic hole using too much force.

On the SuperSkids I'm using, the plastic appears to be harder then the base plate as it was very hard to start the machine screws in the plastic. I ended up countersinking the holes to help them get strated. With the harder plastic, it was easy to feel when they were snug & I did not strip any of the holes.

Chuck
Old 02-27-2011, 12:48 PM
9sec240

Thanks for the review Chuck. Sucks to hear about the issues with your missing and wrong screws / bolts. I hear you on the collar screws. What was provided for where the main and tail blade clamp screws? If those have threads in the area where it contacts the blades, that will surely eat away at the mounting hole in the blades as they lead / lag.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:34 PM
clp.eng

Ivan - I hadn't thought about that as I haven't gotten that far on the build. All the screws provided are fully threaded. I did notice that most of the blades have metal inserts so that should help, I'm guessing.

There are no lock nuts for the blades either. I'll add this to the review. Thanks!

Chuck