Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Receiver voltage

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Aussieheliguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receiver voltage

Hey all,
Not really sure where to post this, so I'm trying here to get some insight. I want to run my nitro raptor on a lipo battery but need a voltage regulator. I found one that reduces the output voltage to 5v. Now, am I looking too far into it or is that fine for a futaba R6208SB? Just wanna run the servos and gyro on 4.8V with on board glow. Any tips or recommendations would help greatly.

Thanks guys
Old 11-25-2011, 09:49 PM
AKPhill

Default RE: Receiver voltage

I use durilite voltage regulator with heavy duty switch and a 2300 mah durilite battery 2cell lipo regulated to 5.8 volts
Old 11-26-2011, 06:02 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Or you can get the same thing from radiosouthrc.com for less under their brand name
Old 12-28-2011, 07:32 AM
Goldenduff

Hello, sorry to jump in on this but does anyone know why futaba do not recommend using a lipo to power their receiver (6ex)- even when a voltage regulator is used?

Thanks
Old 12-28-2011, 09:39 AM
BarracudaHockey

Who said they don't recommend regulated voltage?
Old 12-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Goldenduff

A futaba support technician recommended against using lipo even if using a regulator. I think he was against lipos full stop, regulated or not but I'm not sure. Can you think of any reasons as I'm about to ignore him and use a 2cell lipo dropped to 5.5v. My receiver and digital servos can take that voltage. 

I'm not good with transistors, resistors etc etc- what kind of ampage can the regulator sustain as I see this as the weakest component I. This set up.

Should have just bought enloop as I need the weight to balance!!
Old 12-29-2011, 06:56 AM
BarracudaHockey

Here's the thing.

Your reciever doesn't know or care how its getting its input. If its getting 6 volts it has no idea whether its coming through a LiPo, A123, or NiMH.

That said, some older servos and such still carry warnings that say "NiCad use only" and thats from the days when NiMH came out and the older generation cells had a high internal resistance and when the load increased like using digital servos they couldn't keep up with the demand and the voltage would drop off. LiPos, LiIon, and A123's dont suffer that.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:02 AM
Goldenduff

That's what I thought, was just concerned though. Honestly, I could dig out the email from futaba support but they said don't use a lipo even if using a regulator. I suspect it's probably got more to do with the more exemptions to the warranty the less they have to worry about?

So to conclude nobody has a problem with a 5000mah 2 cell lipo, voltage dropped to 5.5v to use with a a futaba r617fs with a 5 digital servos and a couple of LED strips?

Cheers