Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

3-axis Gyro and Flybar Helicopter

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

3-axis Gyro and Flybar Helicopter

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 06:20 AM
joemayers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3-axis Gyro and Flybar Helicopter

I was told by the local guys that you can not use a 3-axis gyro on a standard flybar type heli, but no one can say why or has ever tried it. I cant find anything on it anywhere

I have a Walkera 86B that I really like to fly, but at hover, you are steady on the sticks to hold it steady. Front/rear - left/right is a never ending process. I moved to a windy area by a large lake (Lake Ponchartrain, like 28 miles across) The wind seldom stops.In any wind it is a beast to hold steady.

Then I get a few micro flybarless heli's and a $30 quad. they are as stable at a rock. The Syma X-1 quad will do flips and rolls in a 15 mph head wind with no problem

When I was in an R/C club a few years back,a few guys had the really big extra 300's with Zenoah whatever motors and the big thing was hanging on the prop. They all had gyros on every movable surface -rud/elec/ail. Standard gyros mounted every which way. Worked fine. Turn off the gyros and no way they could hang cleanly.

I was going to just get 2 standard gryos and mount them for left/right and forward/back. But the new 3-axis seem the way to go. And I would get a new tail gyr vs.the 3-year old one I have

Is the 3-axisgyro with a flybar really not usable? Does the flybar fight the gyro or is that Just speculation.

Take left/right in flight - wind gives it a shove left - gyro gives the servo a bit of right, just like I would with the stick. I cant see a difference.

The Walkera has a beautiful flybar assembly, couple of different colors of anodized and undamaged. I just hate to pull off things that work fine and throw them away.

Any help appreciated. Joe Mayers, Louisiana
Old 12-23-2013, 06:34 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Of course it will work with a FB heli.

The FBL has no knowledge of what is spinning above it.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:46 PM
karlik

I had a walkera ufly with the 3 way gyro. It was a pain to fly. The 3 way and the flybar fought each other - you try to give right aileron, the 3 way thought it was wind and tried to counter. Had to overcontrol to defeat the gyro, then correct for the overcontrol. Not just me, there is an old dedicated ufly thread at rcgroups where almost everyone complained. One solution was a bell/hiller mod made by xtreme. I thought it made things a bit too twitchy and just turned the 3 way off.
Keep in mind this was a walkera heli and a walkera gyro. I hate to make a generalized statement based only on this - I don't think anyone would put that ufly gyro in a 600 with no flybar.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:23 PM
Solman

I agree don't do it unless you want a family feud. The two will not play well together and will fight each other.