Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

"Thin walled" socket for crank nut and fan?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

"Thin walled" socket for crank nut and fan?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 09:37 PM
dabigboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "Thin walled" socket for crank nut and fan?

Hi ya'll, I have a little project that involves the fan from an X-Cell Fury and a prop adapter. The prop adapter goes from a 6mm electric motor shaft to a (fairly standard, I thought) 5/16-24 shaft for mounting a prop....or, in this case, a 700-size heli fan.

My problem is that I can't get a socket down into the fan to torque down the crankshaft nut. I spent the afternoon hitting local hardware, auto parts, and building supply stores looking for a thin-walled socket, OR a nut with 5/16-24 threads and a smaller outer diameter. The nut is 1/2". If it were 7/16" or 12mm, I'd be ok. It seems pretty much every 5/16-24 nut on the planet is 1/2". There's probably some perfectly logical metallurgic/strength reason for this, but that's beside the point....

Just precisely how do they expect you to torque this thing down??? The only "thin walled" sockets I find are specifically for impact drivers....which is immaterial, except the only reason they are "thin" is that they are only thinner than standard IMPACT sockets, which are quite thick. The 1/2" socket in the thin-walled set I found looks to be the same outer diameter as the other 1/2" sockets I've tried.

The inner diameter of the center area in the fan is right at 17mm.

Matt

The following users liked this post:
jnayjaso (04-05-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 06:19 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

It's time for "roll-your-own". Find a local maker place. That's where the guys with 3D printers and CNC machines gather. They usually have a guest night during the week. Take a socket with you and see if you can get one of them to put it on a lathe an trim the outside down a bit. You probably only need to do about a 1/4 inch of the tip.
jnayjaso (04-05-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 11:35 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Most Helicopter engines have a 1/4" threaded shaft. The area on the crank where the tapered collet goes on is usually 8mm (very close to 5/16"). I had run into your same problem a few times back in the day, I just took one of my sockets and modifies it with a belt sander. The second issue you may run into is that it looks like the shaft and nut are sticking up above the the hub a little. This will keep the clutch from sitting where it needs to be.
jnayjaso (04-05-2020)
Old 01-18-2021, 07:43 PM
soinks
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Snap On is where I got mine