Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

What servos ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 04:30 PM
le fou
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What servos ?

Hello,

I am planning to build my first rc helicopter. I am looking at the .30 or maybe .50 size. I have brand new hitec servos (HS-425BB). I was wondering if I can use them on the .50 size, I know you can use them on a .30 size. Off course, I would upgrade to better ones in the future.

Thank you.
Old 05-04-2002, 11:48 PM
volare
My Feedback: (1)

Default What servos ?

Those are pretty decent servos. Definatly good enough for a trainer with a 30. With a fifty you may want to consider slightly better servos in my opinion. If you think you are going to upgrade in the future you might as well start out with good ones so you don't end up buying two sets.
Old 05-05-2002, 12:00 AM
le fou

Default What servos ?

I already own the 425. I just want to start with them until I can buy better ones. Do you think they would work with a 50 for couple months ?

Thank you
Old 05-05-2002, 09:55 PM
volare
My Feedback: (1)

Default What servos ?

I'm not sure, I don't have any experience with that. Maybe someone else can get a word in.....
Old 05-05-2002, 10:37 PM
TotlKaos

Default Hitec Servos.

I have had experiences with the Hitecs.. yes they will work.. BUT.. I would never put the lower end servos in my machines other than on the Throttle!.. I have had centering issues with the lower priced servos after a couple of flights... especially on the collective.. The higher end Hitecs and their digitals seem to hold up a lot better than the $15 servos out there.. There is a reason that the better servos cost more!...

I stick with either Futaba or JR servos now for all of my controls. but I have used the Hitec 525's for my throttles on a few machines without problems..

if you put those servos in "To start with" they will never come out as you will say they are working fine.. until they have a problem.. especially with the higher stress of a 50 sized heli.

just my 2cents ...
Old 05-05-2002, 10:41 PM
flmgrip
My Feedback: (2)

Default What servos ?

if you have them already, i am sure you will be fine to fly them for a while, especially if you do only hover. i could not find specs on them, but for $20.- they can't be to good. just be careful and check them often and make sure you have minimal bind on all the servos and rods...
just exchange them before they cost you a crash
Old 05-05-2002, 11:12 PM
le fou

Default What servos ?

What kind of servos should I buy ? (without costing me an arm and a leg)
Old 05-05-2002, 11:23 PM
flmgrip

Default What servos ?

how much can you spend? get the best you can afford... high speed for tail, decent speed for throttle, and the best torque/speed you can afford for pitch/elv/ail . digital is good, but not needed... torque important for pitch...
Old 05-05-2002, 11:25 PM
le fou

Default What servos ?

Can you give me some reference # (futaba, jr...) ?

Thank you
Old 05-05-2002, 11:47 PM
flmgrip

Default What servos ?

i use all JR: i have a 8700G on tail, 4721 on pitch, 4735 on ail/elv and throttle.
you can go cheaper on throttle if you want, one of your hitecs (i have a fast servo there because of my governor) just remember if your throttle servo goes you might burn your engine, kind of unlikley though...
you can go cheaper as well on tail, even a 4735 will give you good performance on you tail... i just got the combo 550T&8700G...
Old 05-06-2002, 12:05 AM
TotlKaos

Default Futaba

For futaba stuff I would go with 9001's or 9202's for your controls... that will do well in a 50

you can do 525 hitecs for throttle.. or even what you have not for throttle.. I like the higher speed on the 525..

Depending on the gyro you have for the tail... No matter what the really good servo would be the 9253.. but then again depends on the gyro your running..