Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Ques about digital servos yay or nay

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Ques about digital servos yay or nay

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 10:20 AM
FlooredCOBRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ques about digital servos yay or nay

I am looking for a good servo for my tail on my Raptor 30. I want to go ahead and put a good servo there so I wont have to change it later to somthing better.

My question is if i get digital do i have to use the programer to make it work? What all does the programer do. Also I found some other very fast servos with some close specs to the digital. Just wondering if I should just go ahead and get those instead.

I was looking between the HS925MGS and the HS5925MG digital and guess determining which one to get. I am just getting into 3D and wondering if myself would even be able to tell the difference between the 2 or if i would be happy witht the 925. What would you guys recommned the tail servo be? I am looking towards the JR or Hitec servos only.

Also what would be some good servos to use on the rest on the controls for good control. I am using BB standered servos right now and looking to get this thing set up good. I have a highspeed servo in rear but heard it will fail in time with the HH gyro.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:00 AM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Ques about digital servos yay or nay

I have been using the GY 401 and futaba 9253 cobo for a while, no programming needed and it works quite well. Recently my 9253 got banged up, so i decided to try a standard servo (Jr 537) in its place, haven't flown it, but seems like it will do the job just fine too.

Ive been using HS 625 MG for cyclic and colective, works pretty good for me. I'm an intermediete pilot.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:02 PM
Boomstriker

I've used the Futaba 9253 for a years and had several on my .60 go south with minimal flight time.
They have low torque, a very weak gear train and the metal pinion gear on the motor wears out quickly. It has to be replaced with the motor-- very expensive.

I switched to Hitec 5925MG digis in DS mode.
They have WAY more torque and are just as fast.
Oh yeah ----WAY cheaper too!!

So far, no problems at all!!

Kirk
Old 11-17-2003, 02:31 PM
mart o

The ultimate tail servo in my book is the JR NES8700G but they are expensive and to get the best out of it you need a good gyro with super servo suport, I use one on a Venture 50 with CSM420 & the tail is very fast when you want it but stops dead instantly with now wobble at all. On a Raptor 30 I use a JR DS811 which is a great servo but really a little slow for use on a tail, I get good solid performance out of it but I do have to wind the gain down to achieve this.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:34 PM
Raptor^Norway

I'm running 9252 on all cyclic controls/pitch, 401/9253 on the tail, and a JR analog super-fast servo on throttle!

I have a R30V2/TT.39 but this equpment will be transfered to a R50/TT50 as I'm soon buying a new bird.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:09 PM
SpaceCase
My Feedback: (4)

Do you really need to use a digital though?
Old 11-17-2003, 04:22 PM
Raptor^Norway

Nope!! Actually, it's a bit "overkill" for a .30-size. But I'm planning on moving the servos on to a bigger machine in time.

The reason for me having digital is that I had std servos in the .30, and when I was going to fly in the cold weather we have in Norway they didn't perform at all!! So sluggish control that I couldn't hover properly. This combined with a bad battery pissed me way off!! Back home I e-mailed an order for som hot-shot servos![8D] But to be honest, they kick ass! I totally LOVE my digital servos!!

If you can afford it, go for it!
Old 11-17-2003, 06:16 PM
FlooredCOBRA

do you need to have the programer though for the digital servos? Is it a must to make them work or is that only for fine tuneing?
Old 11-17-2003, 07:18 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

You only need the programmer if you wish to change any of the default parameters of the servo. With the programmer, you can slow the servo, set it's endpoints, set it's neutral and several other options. It is most advantageous when working with multiple servos driving a single surface like on giant scale planes. I have several Hitec digitals and haven't needed the programmer yet. A friend has one as he uses Hitecs exclusively on his 35%ers.
Later,,,basmntdweller
Old 11-18-2003, 02:59 AM
Raptor^Norway

Yeah, I to do not have a programmer for the servos. Just plug & play