Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

pico mini heli?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 03:52 AM
uicfletch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pico mini heli?

Hey all u heli enthusiasts...

Does anyone know anything about the pico electric heli? I am an avid electric lover and have always been interested in this mini heli...though I have not ventured into the heli world just yet. It can be seen at ----->

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...50&pc=IKA67350

Does anyone have one of these or heard anything about them...or for that matter any other elctric heli on the market?

thanks
crf
Old 05-14-2002, 02:20 PM
Adam T

Default pico mini heli?

go to http://microhelis.homestead.com/index.html for more info. The tail response on the Piccolo is not as good as the Hornet, but the Piccolo is lighter and gets better duration. The Hornet has higher headspead and thus tends to be more stable outside in a breeze. Both helis can be upgraded to collective pitch versions which fly much better and are more stable and controllable. Neither is a good first heli though as their small size makes them tough to fly. The same manufacturer that makes the Piccolo also makes the Eco 8. Also, the Lite Machines Corona is a bigger electric heli. Both would be great first helis if you are an electric fan.
Old 05-14-2002, 03:29 PM
Adam T

Default pico mini heli?

uicfletch wrote on 05-14-2002 9:18 AM:

Thanks for the info

Another question....if someone asked you how hard it is to hover a heli, what would your response be? Is it something that will take quite a long time to master, or can you get going on the right track as long as you have the training gear? Also, what are the control surfaces for these helis....simply put - how do they hover?

thankx

crf
A normal size heli is not that hard to hover. I never crashed until I started trying advance manoevers like auto rotations and inverted flight. The very best way to learn is to get a good r/c helicopter simulator like Real Flight G2 sold by Great Planes. Helis are controlled in the horizontal plane by cyclic pitch changes in the main blades. For example, if you want to go right, the pitch of the blade on the left side increases while the pitch of the blade on the right side decreases, causing the heli to roll to the right. It is called cyclic pitch because the pitch of the blade changes depending upon where it is in the rotational cycle. The yaw (which way the nose is pointing) is controlled via the tail rotor, which changes pitch to produce the desired amount of thrust to hold or change the heli's direction. Vertical control is achieved by either increasing/decreasing rotor RPM (if it is fixed pitch), or by changing the "collective" pitch of the main blades. It is called collective rather than cyclic pitch because the pitch change is equal on both blades and constant throughout the rotational cycle.

Hope this helps. I posted it because it seems to me that his is a question of general interest.
Old 07-14-2002, 11:52 PM
Joe K
My Feedback: (1)

Default electric

With the Corona 120 you could use a aircraft radio. Looks like you have been in to planes so you have a radio. Right?
The Corona 120 is Easy to build. ( Easy to set up because it is a fixed pitch) Very forgiving Crashes are little to no damage $0 to $20 witch makes up for the fixed pitch. (rise and drops in high wind)
Old 01-26-2003, 05:51 PM
Raceway-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default pico mini heli?

how can i get ahold of radd?