Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
 General TX purchase question... >

General TX purchase question...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

General TX purchase question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 03:29 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General TX purchase question...

I'm leaning towards the 9CH over the 8103. I haven't decided yet. I only need a TX at this point. I want the ability to choose between utilizing PPM or PCM. Will either the 9CHP or PCHF allow me to switch between both? Or do I need to buy a 9CHP to flip from PCM to PPM?
Old 12-31-2003, 05:09 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: General TX purchase question...

They are the same TX. When you setup a new heli or plane you choose between PPM or PCM.
basmntdweller
Old 01-02-2004, 10:06 AM

You mean it's all in the choice of Rx?
Old 01-02-2004, 01:17 PM

No, he's saying you dial it in by setting the mode parameter in the Tx to whatever you want. The Tx can do either.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:10 PM

I understood him. Are you telling me I can code the TX to PPM with any receiver??
Old 01-02-2004, 07:27 PM
My Feedback: (9)

The rx will be one or the other, not selectable. If you buy the PPM system you get the 8 channel futaba rx which is PPM. If you buy the PCM system you'll get the 9 channel PCM rx. I think the PCM system usually comes with better servos also but you pay for them!
Knock on wood, I've never had an issue using PPM versus PCM where PCM's features would have made a difference. My personal feeling is if I get a hit, I want to see it. Some hits on a PCM system could easily go unnoticed depending on how the failsafe was setup. I have one PCM rx and in excess of 20 PPM rx's in various planes and helis. I don't feel the need to pay the difference.
I can almost guarantee that someone will say I must be the luckiest guy not having any problems not using PCMs.
Later,,,basmntdweller
Old 01-02-2004, 08:59 PM
My Feedback: (16)

If I repeat what someone else has said, I'm sorry.

The 9C radio (either heli or air) can transmit in either PPM or PCM. When you set up your model, you select which you would like. This usually depends on which RX is in the model of airplane or heli you're setting up.

For instance, if your airplane has a PPM RX in it and you buy a new RX that is PCM for your Heli, your 9C will be able to transmit to both. Just be sure to select PCM when setting up your Heli.

I have both PPM and PCM RX's in the planes I fly with my 9C. When I fly a PPM and then switch to a plane that is PCM, when I select that plane on my 9C, the radio flashes the PCM to tell me to cycle the radio for the change to PCM to take affect.

Any clearer?
Old 01-02-2004, 09:35 PM
My Feedback: (26)

The transmitter can be switched to PPM or PCM in the menu. If you're using a PPM rx, set the TX to PPM. If you use a PCM rx, set the tx to PCM.

As for whether you should use one or the other, do some searches and make up your mind as to which is "better". PCM isn't intended to mask interference. It's intended to keep signals; not coming from your tx, from causing a glitch or interupting your control. If you're flying on PPM (FM) and for some reason a signal on your frequency (from any source) is detected by the rx, you'll probably get a glitch or possibly a complete loss of control. If you're on PCM (still FM, but coded differently) that same stray signal will go unnoticed by the rx and you will probably never know it was there.

There are situations where it would be helpful to find out if RF interference is present (RF noise coming from some part of your model). The idea of PCM hiding problems associated with your model is where most people probably get the idea of PCM being a bandaid for a poor setup.

Personally, I use PCM. If for no other reason than for the failsafe feature.

Ben
Old 01-05-2004, 09:39 AM

I wanted to be sure I could purchase the TX only at this point. Although I'll probably buy a TX with a PPM Rx if it a better package deal. Servocity.com offers a TX package for only 289 or something like that, I have more research to do. I'm guessing my best bet is to set up the Heli with PPM first so I can guage any setup mistakes then choose a PCM rx if needed. THANKS GUYS!!