Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Rotor Blade Tach

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor Blade Tach

What type of tach do you use for rotor blades (link if possible)? Can you use an airplane tach?
Old 08-16-2004, 09:52 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Rotor Blade Tach

Can't use a plane tach. Call heliproz and get a heli tach. They make a new one that is the same as my miniature aircraft tach and it is way cheaper. Works great. You need someone to run it when you are flying. You can't do both. Its the best way to go. They are called optical tachs. Great tools.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:29 PM

How do they work? Does someone hold the tach up to the spinning blade?
Old 08-16-2004, 05:26 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use an airplane tach, it's just not the easiest. I velcroed mine to a piece of balsa and stuck it in the ground. I just hover over it and take a reading. The heli type optical tachs have a slit in a rotating wheel that acts like a strobe sort of. You look through a window in the tach and adjust the speed of the wheel till it appears that your rotor blades are stopped. Then you read the digital readout of the head speed on the front of the tach. Very cool tool but it takes two to use it.
Matt
Old 08-16-2004, 05:31 PM

An airplane tach sounds easier, more accurate, and cost only $20(for tower brand).

Great tip basmntdweller!!
Old 08-17-2004, 09:19 AM

ORIGINAL: ptarp

An airplane tach sounds easier, more accurate, and cost only $20(for tower brand).

Great tip basmntdweller!!

Not! you still have to have someone holding it, and he will be close to the blades. Not something I would suggest. If you hover over it, it needs to have a hold or you won't be able to read it. You also can't tach it and fly it at the same time. No matter what you do, someone needs to help you with it or you are asking for trouble. I know a few guys who tried to do it themselves and came close to flying into themselves.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:58 AM

ORIGINAL: FLYBOY

Not! you still have to have someone holding it, and he will be close to the blades. Not something I would suggest. If you hover over it, it needs to have a hold or you won't be able to read it. You also can't tach it and fly it at the same time. No matter what you do, someone needs to help you with it or you are asking for trouble. I know a few guys who tried to do it themselves and came close to flying into themselves.
ORIGINAL: basmntdweller

You can use an airplane tach, it's just not the easiest. I velcroed mine to a piece of balsa and stuck it in the ground. I just hover over it and take a reading...
Why would that take two people? Also, doesn't the "heli" tach take two people? So, whats the difference (not trying to be "smart" I really don't know)
Old 08-17-2004, 05:21 PM

Yea, it would take two, you can't fly it and read the tach at the same time. Even with a plane tach, you have to have someone read it to you. You can't concentrate on flying, and running the tach at the same time. Too much going on. If you try to do it yourself, you stand the chance of flying into yourself.

Unless the tach has a max rpm hold on it, it will read 0 when you land and walk up to it. You can't read it and fly at the same time if it is tied to the ground.

There are limits as to how much you can do, and as a newer pilot, you shouldn't put someone else that close to the blades when you are flying. You don't want to kill a friend. We have had a couple killed this last year due to dumb things like this. Get a heli tach and do it from a safe distance. Even your mom could read the tach for you. Much safer and easier.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:04 PM

Ah, so a heli tach can be read from farther away?
Old 08-17-2004, 08:10 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, a heli tach can be used at any distance till you can't see the heli of course. They are cool tools to have but 90% of the time I am flying by myself so there would never be anyone to tach it for me. That is where I came up with hovering over my airplane tach. I was comfortable enough to watch both the heli and read the tach without worrying about flying into myself. You can get a decent idea just spooling up with the tach reading under the blades monted on the stick as I mentioned before. Read just till the heli starts to lift then fly it away or shut down and retune if you don't like the speed you see.
Matt