Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Setting blade pitch help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Setting blade pitch help

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 04:08 PM
jhbwaller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting blade pitch help

Can anyone recomend what blade pitch to use for a beginner. Shoule I use about 2 degrees negative and the rest positive? I am trying to set up a Logo 20 with 600mm blades.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:21 PM
w.pasman

Default RE: Setting blade pitch help

usual pitch is -2 to +9. -2 is needed to keep heli firm on ground when it is windy. +9 is plenty for most helis (but I'm not sure about electric, +9 could be too much or too little also depending on type of blades, rotor speed etc.)
Old 01-21-2005, 04:23 PM
JMN

Don`t put any negative on beginning,maybe 0- +7 degrees is good,when You can hover quite well put -2 to +9 so You can get Your heli down in windy weather.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:31 PM
jhbwaller

Ok -2 to +9 it is. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:05 PM
ChopperMike

I agree. For a beginner just learning to hove, no negative. Use a curve of 0 (or +1) to +7 degrees. Otherwise when you drop the collective if you panic (WHEN you panic) you'll hammer the model into the ground. Likewise, too much positvice at the top causes the heli to zoom if you get over zealous. As you gain experience gradually move the curves toward the -3 to +9 or so.

Mike
Old 01-23-2005, 07:11 AM
JMN

I agree Mike. That is exactly the reason why not negative in beginning.You explain it better than I can
I know it because I chrashed maybe 5 times in beginning before I noticed it
Old 01-23-2005, 08:52 AM
ChopperMike

Me too. I also had to learn the hard way, self taught. I really wish there had been someone to help me at the time. I also recommend using the type of training gear that has the rods angled down slightly, not straight across. If I remember correctly the Heli-Max ones are like this. They have a wood block in the middle and the 4 CF rods plug in at an angle. It gives a little cushioning when the heli comes down hard.

You didn't mention wheher you had anyone to help you or not, If not, try and find someone to help you even if it means driving some distance to find an experienced pilot.

Good luck

Mike
Old 01-26-2005, 01:10 PM
jhbwaller

Zero to start. I will use zero then. Does anybody know of a heli pilot in West Palm Beach FL that is willing to train?

Thanks for all of the advice.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:17 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 358 Likes on 288 Posts

ORIGINAL: jhbwaller

Zero to start. I will use zero then. Does anybody know of a heli pilot in West Palm Beach FL that is willing to train?

Thanks for all of the advice.
Try this http://www.pilotlocator.net/

I'd go with neg 2 but dont slam the collective down in a panic. You go with 0 and it ballons on you in the wind you'll have problems.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:33 PM
ChopperMike

I'd go with neg 2 but dont slam the collective down in a panic. You go with 0 and it ballons on you in the wind you'll have problems.
No, it won't. If the heli needs +5-6 degrees to hover, it's coming down at +1, gravity will make sure of that! This setting is no good for FF but we're not talking about trying to fly FF like this. while hovering you're only going to have to drop a few feet.

When I first started out I had my heli set up with +1 at the bottom, never had a problem. Besides which a beginner isn't going to be flying in much wind anyway. And the point is, you have to assume at some point you will slam the collective down. Telling yourself not to do it is irrelevant. It's a given.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:18 PM
heli-john

My five pence - I'd suggest a little negative. If not -2 then -1. Why isn't there a "degrees" symbol on my keyboard?
Old 02-21-2005, 12:06 PM
robobart

A common recommendation with a few experienced heli guys is that +9' to -4' will give fairly good results, even into learning autorotation, WITHOUT having to set everything up and get used to it a second time...