Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

carbon fibre fin set

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 12:45 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbon fibre fin set

how would mr carbon fin set affect the performance of my r30, considering it have less surface area
Old 09-24-2002, 12:47 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Why do you need fins on a heli anyway??? Is it just for weather vaning? Both vertically and horizontally?
Old 09-24-2002, 02:26 AM

One of the main advantages of using the 3D fin sets is to reduce the chance of having the tail come around on you during backwards flight....less surface area means less drag.....i have also noticed that it has helped my pirouette rates SLIGHTLY....i never fully understood the concept either(except the fact they look cool)till i got into more advanced aerobatics....just my .02
Old 09-24-2002, 02:40 AM

So if I took the fins off completly it would fly better in 3D then even having 3D fins. ???
Old 09-24-2002, 02:55 AM

Not sure about that one....ive never tried it....in theory,yes,it would be better but what would it do to the forward flight characteristics?...i'll let someone else sound off about that one
Old 09-24-2002, 03:57 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Originally posted by RS2K
So if I took the fins off completly it would fly better in 3D then even having 3D fins. ???
no... your fingers make you a better flier...
you could take off the horizontal fin without and problems or changes (as i have before), but i would leave the vertical fin on just for protection of the tail rotor when doing landings, autos etc...
Old 09-24-2002, 04:20 AM

Yes, I see a reason for the vertical fin but only the vertical part.

As for the horizontal fin the only reason it's there is for looks? Maybe the vert. fins were needed on older helis without good gyros... or any gyros. Or maybe the only reason RC helis have them is because real ones do.