Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Almost ready to buy!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 05:48 PM
TommyAZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost ready to buy!!

I have been getting alot of help and suggestions on the best way to go with my first and maybe my last nitro helicopter. I have decided to go with the more expensive raptor 50 vs2
with a OS .50sxh motor,the Futaba 7chp pcm 7ch/4 3151servo's,and the Futaba.gy401 w/9254 gyro. With some tools and a start up kit and (of course some training wheels) it is coming up
on the $1500 mark. I would like to heard from some of you that have been into this hobby and what do you think about the set up and the cost? It is a little more then I wanted to spend,
but I don't want to have and get a different one after a few years.What do you think???
THANKS TOMMYAZ

Old 07-07-2005, 06:10 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts
Default RE: Almost ready to buy!!

The servo's in that combo are a bit weak for a 50 once you advance to aerobatics, consider 9252's. I wouldn't fly them comfortably in anthing larger than a 30 size ship. I use them in my scale Shuttle 30 or for throttle servo's on the bigger stuff but thats about i. The rest is good to go.

Check out http://www.heliproz.com for great deals, they have awesome service.
The 50 is a great choice, as the OS engine and the 401 gyro combo.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:20 PM
WhtBronco

My Raptor 50 V2 ended up running me $1500 as well. This heli will take you a long way, and will not need to be replaced at all unless you simply choose to. It is plenty capable. Make sure you get servos with atleast 50 oz in of torque or you'll be getting new ones when you start flying harder. My JR DS811 servos have 54 oz in and have been just fine.

If you spend the money now on quality components as you appear to be doing you will not be disappointed. Helis are not cheap, but they are a tremendous amount of fun.

For training gear I recommend the cheap way here though, it simply works great. Get 2 3/8" hardwood dowels and a hula-hoop. Form an x with the dowel, cut them to just a bit longer than the outside diameter of the hula-hoop about an 1/8" longer and drill 4 corresponding holes in the inside circumference of the hula-hoop. This makes a great and cheap training gear set. I also found that 4 1" pieces of x large fuel tubing on the skids helps keep the training gear from slipping when wired tied on.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:55 AM
Jyrki

If you spend the money now on quality components as you appear to be doing you will not be disappointed
Definitely agree. But those standard servos that come with the radio you can use in the beginning and upgrade to S9252 as you advance.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:17 PM
TommyAZ

Thanks of your input. Hope to be flying soon!