Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

3D manuevers with wood blades

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

3D manuevers with wood blades

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 10:48 PM
da_man
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D manuevers with wood blades

I want to try some manuevers on my raptor 30 and I don't have the guts to try them with my carbon SAB blades. I just want to know if the raptor will do them with wood blades EASILY. I expect to crash doing these manuevers, but don't want to wreck my expensive carbon blades even though I have 3 extra sets.

By manuevers I mean death spirals, flying backwards, fast flipping to inverted and some other stuff I don't know the name to. I can do all these manuevers well on the sim.
Old 11-03-2002, 11:17 PM
Pete OConnor

Default Re: 3D manuevers with wood blades

Originally posted by da_man
I want to try some manuevers on my raptor 30. I expect to crash doing these manuevers.
Hmmmmmm..... Whoever your instructor is, with offering the "assumption" that you expect to crash, I'd find another one with the intelligence of a real instructor. However, if you are your own instructor, fire yourself and find a real instructor. Crashing while learning does two things. It's drains your wallet and wastes times rebuilding instead of flying. Never, never do you learn faster by crashing..........However, the myth still lingers........
Pete
Old 11-03-2002, 11:36 PM
da_man

I don't expect that anyone who learns these manuevers has not crashed. Crashing is the grim part of the hobby. It happens. It is not fun being afraid of crashing and not trying anything new.

I expect to get over my fear of crashing and move on by doing some good manuevers.

Do you want to answer my question ? Are wood blades good for the raptor while learning these manuevers?
Old 11-03-2002, 11:55 PM
Pete OConnor

I don't expect that anyone who learns these manuevers has not crashed. Crashing is the grim part of the hobby. It happens. It is not fun being afraid of crashing and not trying anything new.

Hmmmmmmmmmm..... didn't happen to me. I have "dumb-thumbed" a manuever or two. However, that was after I learned them first, and then kept finding low I could do them. IOW, mistakes happen, but the theory of "if you ain't crashing you ain't learning" is a childish myth dreamed up to let kids explain their stupidity to their friends.
However, to answer your question, I would use the SAB fiberglass blades at $35, and give yourself a slight edge in the maneuvers. Furthermore, buying the Carbon SAB's, again lends me to believe you are not reading the correct posts or you're listening to the same kids that still believe the above statement.
Good luck,
Pete
Old 11-04-2002, 12:18 AM
da_man

I learned them all on the sim. I am just afraid to do them in real life.

Carbon Blades are stiffer. They don't flex as much.

For the price of the fiber glass blades I can get 2 sets of wooden blades and have 7 dollars left over. Are the fiberglass blades really that much better for just learning advanced manuevers. You do say slight edge. Is it worth it?

I just want to hear about blades and not how messed up everything is.
Old 11-04-2002, 12:40 AM
Scotty740

Carbon blades are just marginaly stiffer than glass in 30 size. The big advantage over wood is that carbon and glass blades are more efficient.

In larger machines carbon makes sense as they are stiffer as needed in a long blade. I haven't noticed any difference between glass and carbon 30 size blades in flight or maunovers. Just a waste of money in my estimation.

I've also see Raptors flown through some very hard 3d with stock wood blades. They seem to be up to the task with good throttle collective managment.
Old 11-04-2002, 01:15 AM
Pete OConnor

I learned them all on the sim. I am just afraid to do them in real life.

Carbon Blades are stiffer. They don't flex as much.

For the price of the fiber glass blades I can get 2 sets of wooden blades and have 7 dollars left over. Are the fiberglass blades really that much better for just learning advanced manuevers. You do say slight edge. Is it worth it?

I just want to hear about blades and not how messed up everything is.

Sounds like you're doing things the right way For example, in the deathspiral, just start off with a few turns and bail out. As you get more comfortable do more turns. Practice pulling out nose-in, then tail-in. As you get better, practice pulling out tail-in inverted, then nose-in inverted. Naturally, altitude is your friend.
The glassers are noticeably better as "a package" as Scotty says.
Pete
Old 11-04-2002, 01:26 AM
da_man

Are the fiberglass blades worth that much more.
Old 11-04-2002, 02:20 AM
Pete OConnor

Are the fiberglass blades worth that much more.
I can see the problem. In this Hobby $10/$15 extra for blades, or anything else should "NOT" be a concern. If it is, you may want to consider another hobby.
Pete
Old 11-04-2002, 02:33 AM
Scotty740

Yes the glass blades are worth the price as I said they are more efficient and give you more power available as well as better cyclic response.

If you are afraid of ruining glass blades trying maneuvers by all means stick to the wood ones. But, you will be hindering yourself with your fear of crashing. The $10-15 dollars extra the blades cost is a small factor considering most crashes.

From what you are saying I'd guess that you aren't near the proficiency level where glass or carbon blades would make much difference any way. Go with the wood till you gain more proficiency and confidence then switch to composites.
Old 11-08-2002, 04:16 AM
Pickle-RCU

At first, you will find it much more difficult to do your maneuvers with your heli than on the sim. You must go through the same learning curve with your heli as you did with your sim, you will just learn faster. I suggest staying with the woodies for now if glueing the grips on and balancing is no problem (time or skill). I doubt you will notice any increase/decrease in your learning rate because of what blades you use. But because you mentioned you have several sets of carbons now, maybe you are not really that conservative anyway!? My opinion is you don't get as much with money as you do with practice.
Old 01-12-2003, 11:59 PM
Balsa Duster

Any body else see this?
I witnesed a very unfortunate crash a wile ago that involved a raptor 30 with wooden blades. The guy was performing farly strenous aerobatic 3d manevers when ether a tail boom strike or the wooden blades just failed. un fortunatly the guy was pretty high up. ( long fall )

we both argreed that the wooden blades were probibly the cause.
any thoughts?
Old 01-13-2003, 11:38 PM
extremeflying
My Feedback: (7)

i dont think u should tell some1 to quit this hobby just because they dont have money ! money is only part of it. i started flying with very little budget. No wonder the world sucks today only rich people can do things