Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

giant-scale helicopter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 05:23 AM
vonster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default giant-scale helicopter?

Could anybody tell me if there are any giant-scale helis around? I have been flying helis for a little over a year now and I am familiar with a lot of different sizes like 30,50,60, and 90 size and also the one kawasaki or yamaha makes for crop dusting or use for a camera platform. But I was just told by someone that they owned a 1/4 scale BlackHawk that had an overall rotor diameter of 26 feet!
I got the impression that this guy was full of it, but i thought I would ask around just to find out if these do exist.
I asked if I could take a look at it but he said that it was at his x-wifes house and he was not able to access it for 30 days.
Again, I've only been flying helis for a year and don't know a whole lot about them but i think I know better than that unless someone could give me some info.
Thanks in advanced
Old 11-04-2002, 05:36 AM
RS2K
My Feedback: (8)

Hmmm, being that a Black Hawks rotor diameter 53 feet 8 inches that would make a 26 foot diameter rotor span approximately 48.447% scale by length. I'm pretty sure that it's safe to say that he's pulling your leg.

An RC heli that size would just be WAAAAAAY too dangerous for hobby use. I can see if the NASA, the USAF or the ARMY was involved but not your everyday Joe. I think we have enough safety trouble with 4 foot diameter rotors. Maybe his heli didn't have an engine and had a fixed head, now I can see that!
Old 11-04-2002, 05:38 AM
RS2K
My Feedback: (8)

There's got to be some kind of FAA regulation about UAVs that big.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:10 AM
vonster

RS2K, The only other thing that I can think of is that he may have a movie prop that does not actually fly, but he claimed that it did. If I owned something that large I would have pictures or documents or someway of backing up my story.
I would rent it out to fun-flys to make money, or to movie companys, or just set it up for display to draw a crowd.
I have flown planes for 12 years and occasionally run into people that claim they have and old plane that was given to them by a friend or relative, and that they believe its larger than the one they have seen me flying, even when I have my 33% 300s on a trailer behind my Explorer!
Maybe he is just trying to fit in? Who knows? But , I won't believe it until I see it.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:09 PM
dsweatt

Default Giant Scale Helis

Here is a website for kits of giant scale helis...

www.lenmountscalefuselages.com

Most of Len's are 1/6th scale (around 7 to eight feet in length)
and use gassers or turbines for power.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:44 PM
Scotty740

Didn't Bergen supply the machines for the movie "Blackhawk Down"? As I recall they used their twin cylinder gas engines in them and were pretty large.
Old 01-17-2003, 06:19 AM
Elliot

Sure there are giamt ones around...

What about these 3 Meter Cobras ?

Elliot
Old 01-17-2003, 01:57 PM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

Wooow , that is soo sweet!
Old 01-29-2003, 02:05 AM
rvrusty
My Feedback: (1)

Default big models

Check out this guys site he builds a lot of movies stuff I think I even saw a 1/4 scale Huey and a sweet looking 1/6 Harrier
http://www.ljmp.com/
Old 02-26-2003, 05:09 PM
rvrusty
My Feedback: (1)

Default Cobras

Does anyone know who makes the 3 meter Cobras at the top of the page and what heli mechs are used
Old 03-21-2003, 11:32 AM
DarkWolf

No clue who makes them, but they look to be tubine powered... Which explains their large size.. Only turbine heli I know of in production is the HotCat... perhaps it's a body over it? Seems much larger though, so not sure..

Anyway, price tag is huge.. Well out of my range..
Old 04-16-2003, 12:47 PM
charly-mike

Martin Soellner from Austria (www.scale-heli.at) has build these giant models with 3meters (9.85ft) rotor diameter, powered by a 60ccm (3.6cu.inch) gasser.

Another giant Jet-Ranger by Karl-Heinz Plich is almost ready in the near of Hannover, Germany, powered by a turbine:

Turbines are available here:

Jet-Cat Heli-Turbine PHT-3:
http://www.v-eastonline.com/jetnh-90.html
http://www.cat-ing.de/turbines/index.htm

Jakadofsky PJ-W Turbine:
http://www.scalecopter.de/gallery.html