Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

heli fuel consumption

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 06:30 PM
HELI-JOKER
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heli fuel consumption

I have a Century 50 and a new Raptor 60 that had its maiden flight the other day-MAN,this thing INHALES fule!!FAR more than the 50.
Im using cool power 30% for both..If I drop below 30%,can I expect to use even more fuel?how low can I go and still use the same fuel for both without the performance suffering?
Thanks
Joe
Old 11-01-2005, 06:04 AM
Charlie

Default RE: heli fuel consumption

I wouldn't go any lower then 15%, but that's just me. Your going to suffering a little when it comes to performance but unless your into heavy 3D flying you will never notice the difference.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:54 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

What motor do you have in the 60?
Old 11-01-2005, 08:34 AM
HELI-JOKER
My Feedback: (21)

OS 50 Hyper in a Century 47g and OS 61-wc in a TT Raptor 60 with MD500 scale fuse and I only fly scale-no 3d with these birds
Old 11-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Charlie

I only fly scale-no 3d with these birds
Burn 15%, you won't notice any difference and it's only half the price.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:20 PM
Rainman-ACRF

Lets see now, .50 + 20% = .60

Would you say that you're seeing 20% greater fuel consumption? Because that would kind of make sense.

However, it will also have a lot to do with the gearing, motor RPM and head speed of each heli. If you've got a really peeky .60 setup with the wrong gearing then your fuel consumption could be much more noticeable.

When I got into helis I didn't realise quite how quickly I'd go through fuel. You can't compare it to a fixed-wing model because you're basically always using your motor somewhere around where it makes useful power at a fairly fast RPM before it's geared down to the blades around the 1700 rpm mark - so as a guess your motor is always going to be running at around 15000+ rpm. So, there is not getting away from the fact that you're converting a load of dead dinosaurs into smoke and noise at a pretty fast rate. ;-)

My first IC heli was a Fury 60 Expert with a YS61ST2, and it's a thirsty little motor but boy is it powerful. Imagine my horror when I also bought a Fury 90 Extreme with a YS91ST4 and discovered what a really thirsty beast that is. Wow. Wouldn't trade either of them in though as they are both simply awesome machines with stunning performance.

Phil
Old 11-28-2005, 03:27 PM
w.pasman

With lower nitro you will use LESS fuel.
So trying 10 or 15% might help you out.
Of course you will have a little less power (also probably 10 to 15%)
And you save *A LOT* of money as nitro is 10* as expensive as methanol
The main reasons to use nitro are (1) a little more pwer (2) a little more cooling

In all, a bigger block running less nitro is WAAY more money efficient than a small block on high nitro.
Only if you want the ultimate power/weight you go for 30% and higher