Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Camera for flight videos and still pics????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Camera for flight videos and still pics????

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 03:12 AM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camera for flight videos and still pics????

I have just bought a Sharp Digital 8 video camera for taking picture to post on here and posting flying videos. It uses a memory card for stills and a miniDV tape for video. I was told it would do what I was after, namely still shots and video to post on the net. After getting home and looking it over, It only will transfer stills direct to my pc. Do I need a different camera or an addon board for my pc. I have heard of a board for recording video and audio to pc but they were rather expensive if I remember correctly. What's the best route here? My pc doesn't have a firewire card so maybe even if I get the right camera I'll still have to get more stuff for the pc. Help me out here if you can. Thanks,,,basmntdweller
Old 11-10-2002, 04:12 AM
Tattoo

There's a real good place with some expertise in this area here:
http://rcamericaonline.com/viewforum.php?f=57
If these guys don't know the answer, they'll find it!
Old 11-10-2002, 04:25 AM
helihawks

Default Heres one...

Kansas bsmtman!
I got a minidv cam, a firewire card and video studio 5.0
Runnin XP on a one gig cpu, 1/2 gig ram to a 60,000 meg
Hdrive!
You can dump the vids via FWire to the drive and edit
your sox off! Then Burn um to CD!
If your new cam has Fwire, you're in business!
(Just add money!)
Byron, Omaha

By the way, Win Media Player 8 Plays the vids full screen
on my machine!
Old 11-10-2002, 05:11 AM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

I use a Sony DCRTRV25 DV cam.
Old 11-10-2002, 05:29 AM
Scotty740

basmntdweller,

Regardless of which camera you get you'll still have to get a video input card to get the video into the computer. I have had several over the years and most of the newer firewire ones are great.

I have found some good deals on Ebay in that area. People want the latest and greatest and trade up all the time and sell the old ones there.

I just got a Sony Laptop and it has built in firewire and memory card slot so it works great with my Sony video cameras and still cameras.
Old 11-10-2002, 01:36 PM
basmntdweller

I checked my camera. It has a 4 pin port for digital video. Is this where the firewire card would connect? There is very little in the manual about the DV port. There is also a similar 6 pin port but it is for transferring stills from the memory card.
Thanks for the help here guys. I posted the same message in "the clubhouse" and the moderator closed it because it didn't have anything to do with RC. Go figure!
Thanks,,,basmntdweller
Old 11-10-2002, 06:15 PM
helihawks

Default Fury man!

Hey Paul;
RU thinking about strapping that new Sony cam
to the bottom of your heli for some in flight videos???

I have a JVC miniDV cam that cost me $695!
I have watched the digi hi 8's come down in
price over this year to near 2 bills!
Next season I'm gonna configure one of these
less expensive camera's to my Xcell!
All the Down Links I have seen have drop-outs
like crazy, but a 16mm capable cam (miniDV) would
be the thing! But too expensive!!!
The Hi 8 might be somewhat affordable!
Later,
By
Old 11-10-2002, 06:36 PM
CyberPilot
My Feedback: (2)

basmntdweller,

The 4 pin port is probably a firewire port. They are commonly labeled 1394, I-Link, or Firewire. If that is the case you can purchase a low cost firewire card for your PC (that's what I did). If your PC has an available PCI slot you can get a PCI 1394 card at MicroCenter or Fry's or PCClub. All have online sites:

www.microcenter.com
www.outpost.com - Fry's
www. pcclub.com

I did a quick search on Fry's and found this one:
PCI Firewire card $24.99

Good Luck and feel free to PM or E-mail me if you need more help.

CyberPilot
Old 11-10-2002, 07:53 PM
basmntdweller

After getting a firewire card and installing everything, I transferred some stills and was very unhappy with the quality. I have taken the camera back and now I'm looking at other options. Most all the hi8s and miniDV max out at 1.0 megapixel. I have a 2.0 megapixel still camera and it doesn't have the resolution I want. So now I think I will have to buy a video cam and a still camera. I have been looking at a canon 4.0 megapixel camera that will also do movies but the res on the movies is only 320x240. Not really that great. What are you guys using?
Thanks,,,basmntdweller
Old 11-15-2002, 01:10 AM
Skycam

I would go with two seperate cameras.
We use the Sony DSC-S75 for stills and the Sony TRV50 and 950
for video.
The DSC-S75 will print photo's up to 24" that are perfect and the camera only costs around $400.00 also has a live video port for downlinking.
Heres one of our systems.
Hope this helps John

www.airfoilaviation.com/helicam/wgemhelicam.JPG
www.airfoilaviation.com/helicam/wgemhelicam1.JPG
Old 11-15-2002, 07:58 AM
CyberPilot
My Feedback: (2)

basmntdweller,

I use a Sony TRV30 for both digital stills and for MiniDV. My Sony is only 1.5 Mega pixels for stills and I think they're pretty good. One thing that you said that caught my eye was that you just installed a firewire card and transfered stills. I transfer my stills with a USB link and video with the firewire. The exception being when I capture a digital still to tape. If you are capturing stills to tape that may explain why the quality is less than you expected. Maybe the Sharp works differently from my Sony but I would make sure that your stills are being saved to your memory card. Also you said that the Sharp is a Digital 8 but uses MiniDV tapes. I think that these are two different technologies. I believe MiniDV is higher quality than Digital 8. I could be mistaken, it's been a while since I researched the cameras but this could also lead to mismatched expectations.

However, if you are looking for high quality stills then go for a 4 or 5 mega pixel camera. Now you're approaching professional quality. If you'd like to see some pix I took with my 1.5 mega pixel Sony I can e-mail a couple to compare to yours.

C.P.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:46 PM
basmntdweller

I picked up a Fuji 3800 camera the other day. It does a great job for the stills I want to take plus it has the movie function. I haven't tried the movie part while flying yet but as soon as I can get out, I'll try to post a clip if it's allowed on here. I'll take some more time and study the miniDV camcorder market and probably get one next spring.
Later,,,basmntdweller
Old 11-19-2002, 12:27 AM
stevenyc1

BasementDweller-

you say "Sharp Digital 8 video camera" and "miniDV for tape"- something's not right- digital 8 was invented by Sony and is a technique/technology where digital video is stored onto HI8mm tapes- not Mini DV tapes- so which do you have- a MiniDV camera or D8?

If it's miniDV, all you'll need is a Firewire card and some video-editing software and you can make videos for the web.
The D8 will also work with a Firewire card but be of less quality than MiniDV (for WWW use it wont matter)...the preferred codec right now is Mpeg4 but that's for the high-end systems- try making a video using Sorenson's codec (or Sorenson 3) mpeg-1 is alo a great alternative- Apple comnputers are superbly engineered for video editing- you may want to consider getting a Mac if media (music, digital photography or video) is your game!

(I can imagine the feedback i'm gonna get for saying that!!!)
Old 11-19-2002, 12:45 AM
basmntdweller

It was a miniDv. I didn't pay that much attention to the terminology. I returned the Sharp camcorder as the stills weren't up to the quality I wanted. My previous post in this thread mentions I bought a Fuji for stills and I'll have to save up again for a decent mini DV camcorder.
Later,,,basmntdweller
Old 11-19-2002, 01:15 AM
stevenyc1

Default cams----

any current digital still camera will surpass shots taken with a camcorder...even the Canon XL1S and GL2 wont beat the latest $299 digicams in terms of still image quality- the still shot capability is there just as a novelty (and a selling point)....the best digi-camcorder in terms of stills has to be the Sony TRV-950 (the new one)....nicest stills I've seen yet- with the Canon GL2 and Panasonic DVX100 tied for second.

Welcome to the world of NLE- it's almost as much fun as r/c helis'!
Old 11-20-2002, 08:23 PM
TurboRacer
My Feedback: (4)

I'm going to have to reccommend the Sony DSC-P31.

You can find it for under $200. It will take GREAT video (no sound though) for as long as your memory card has space. It's small, and fairly light. I think like 8oz with batteries.

Go to my webpage at www.cousinlarry.com to see some pics, and aerial videos I took with my Raptor Helicopter. Good stuff.
Old 11-21-2002, 07:36 PM
warlock1174
My Feedback: (23)

I curently use a Canon digital ELPH, PowerShot S200. I have it set up so that it transmit a live video image to a ground based reciever. The camera has a max resolution of 2.0 megapixels, and the video downlink is a modified "x-10" camera system, operating at 2.4 gigahertz. At first we had a problem with static, drop-offs, and interference, but after we modified the antenna and boosted the gain, we have had some really good luck.... I can get about a 1500 foot range with no problems, (well, a little static here and there). The Canon Elph is mechanically fired with a servo, and takes great pictures. I'll try to post some here in the future.

The biggest problem (to me, anyway) was eliminating the blur that the stills picked up from the vibration. We were able to finally get crystal clear shots only after we isolated the camera bracket with rubber dampeners, balancing EVERY rotor head component, and setting up the camera with the fastest shutter speed and exposure times. Also, setting it up for variable focus seemed to really work good. The plus side to all of this, my whole camera setup weighs about 1 lb, and is mounted to a .30 size heli. And, I have only $500 invested in everything. (It would have been cheaper, but I bought the largest flash card they had.)