Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

What do you call a 2340º stall turn?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

What do you call a 2340º stall turn?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 02:06 AM
RS2K
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you call a 2340º stall turn?

I've been having a lot of fun with my rudder. I just want to know what you call it when you pull up out of FFF and on the way down pull a bunch of piros? I got 6.5 rotations today. I also did another real auto and have been doing a lot of nose in stuff. I also did some loops and rolls in normal mode. This sport is waaaaaay too much fun! I burned a whole gallon of $26 30% CP today! I also smoked up the flying field. Gotta keep those pesky bugs away!

Now that my blades don't over speed, because of the added throttle points, I don't worry about nose in anymore! I guess I was always afraid of the blade speed.

Also when I give my heli a little bit of cyclic with about 7 degrees of collective I hear a sort of screaming squeak. Does anyone know what this is called, what caused it, and if it's something I need to worry about? Every so often I get one blade that goes out of track for an instant and snaps back to normal causing my heli to "jump". At first I thought this was more noise till it happened while coming in fast and low into a hover and I actually saw it go way out of track. Is this the beginning of a woof? The only thing that is sloppy in my head is the washout hub. I plan to fix this tonight, though.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:30 AM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

26.00 for CP wow I pay 15.00 for WC 30%
Old 11-11-2002, 02:34 AM
RS2K

Well not all of us belong to big clubs that can aford to buy in huge bulk.

I'm going up to wichita Tuesday and plan to pick up a case of 30% for $20 a gallon.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:40 AM
Scotty740

Default Re: What do you call a 2340º stall turn?

Originally posted by RS2K

Also when I give my heli a little bit of cyclic with about 7 degrees of collective I hear a sort of screaming squeak. Does anyone know what this is called, what caused it, and if it's something I need to worry about?
sounds like the swashplate may be going out or possibly a bearing. Yes it is something to worry about if it comes apart and/or seizes up.

Every so often I get one blade that goes out of track for an instant and snaps back to normal causing my heli to "jump". At first I thought this was more noise till it happened while coming in fast and low into a hover and I actually saw it go way out of track. Is this the beginning of a woof? The only thing that is sloppy in my head is the washout hub. I plan to fix this tonight, though.
Yes that is the dreaded woof. Lots of fixes for it on line. I flipped the blade grips on mine and haven't had a problem since.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:41 AM
RS2K

I bet it's my swash causing both. I have noticed a bit more wear in it lately. I guess I have about 11 or 12 gallons through it. Is it normal ofr a swash to go out that quick?

What's so dreaded about the woof anyway? Besides the really loud sound and poor performace it causes, what else can it do?

When it happenes to me it is only for a split second.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:47 AM
Culverson
My Feedback: (14)

My normal prie on CP 30% is 14.00 RS2K, 12.00 for 15%. I thought it was a bit high LoL.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:54 AM
RS2K

Originally posted by Culverson
My normal prie on CP 30% is 14.00 RS2K, 12.00 for 15%. I thought it was a bit high LoL.
Where in the world can I get it that cheap?????? One hobby shop quoted me $50 a gallon for a case.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:46 PM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

Originally posted by RS2K
Well not all of us belong to big clubs that can aford to buy in huge bulk.

I'm going up to wichita Tuesday and plan to pick up a case of 30% for $20 a gallon.

That's what hobby shop's sell it for.
Old 11-12-2002, 12:41 AM
M.D.
My Feedback: (1)

Wish my hobby shop even sold 30%... $19 for 15%
Old 11-12-2002, 01:32 AM
Barbary

just some friendly advice---track down that noise.
Old 11-12-2002, 04:22 AM
RS2K

How do I track down a noise like that when it only happens when coming out of FF fast? I used some synthetic tri-lube and lubed everything down. It only happened very briefly once during two tanks today. At least I think that's what it was. It happened right after a VERY quick woof. After flying I saw that one of my blades lost the covering at the tip. Could this have caused the woof? The only time it's woofed is with these blades and only for VERY short times. I think I just need to bite the bullet and get a set of glass blades. I flew a Raptor 30 V2 yesterday with glass blades and really liked how smooth it was. I can't wait to try out some glass blades with the power of the 50!

After some diagnostic work I came to the conclusion that the only slop in my system is coming from the blade grips (Quite a bit, but they are plastic), the flexible collective arm, and the swash plate (very little). My washout has the JB weld fix so it has ALMOST no slop. I have less slop throughout my system then a new Raptor 30, and probably about the same, if not less, than a new Raptor 50. That is not counting the blade grips as I don't know if they are too sloppy or not, I just can’t remember. I have about 1 to 2 inches of play each way on the VERY ends of the blades. I know that sounds like a lot but remember, that's more than 600mms out from the source. My static tracking is almost right on so I know it's not that.

Would metal blade grips or a metal collective arm be worth it? How about a Quick UK swash? The bearings in my head are all new so I know it's not that. My dampers are also new. My woodies are about 2 gallons old but are really showing their age. The fly with a lot of leaves and when I spool up I hit a lot of leaves from the up wash so my blades have nicks (spell checker said knicks is wrong? Oh well! ) in the covering all over the leading edge. It's not bad but you can see it. If I use glass blades will having leaves an insects hurt them like it does the covering on my woodies?