Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

RC Helicopter Tech Needed

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 07:14 PM
SelectiveRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Helicopter Tech Needed

Selective RC, Inc., a fast growing distributor of RC Helicopters and Airplanes is looking for a full-time Tech.

We offer a fun working environment and a competitive salary package plus a great opportunity to grow.

Please contact James at (714) 993-3149 or send your resume to [email protected].

[link]http://www.selectiverc.com[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11765.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	363853  
Old 12-03-2005, 07:14 AM
Charlie

Default RE: RC Helicopter Tech Needed

Are you willing to relocate someone? Just kidding, I would jump at it if I lived in your neck of the woods.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:43 AM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

For a second I thought it said you lived in Placenta.. [sm=surprised.gif]
Old 12-12-2005, 12:30 PM
RSL_Mongoose

If the dark knight is what you need a tech for maybe you should ask for a miracle worker
Old 12-12-2005, 02:41 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That bad, eh, Goose?

Those cheesy little electric POS "helicopters" (not just this one; never heard of it, in fact) are getting all too common around here. I've been approached a lot by people who heard I fly helis and want some help.

In the first place, I USED to fly helis. In the second, I don't have time enough for my own hobby interests these days. In the third place (and this is the BIG no-go), every one of these guys I've seen just want someone else to do the work so they can play. They have no interest in learning any aspect of helicopters except how to fly it. Not on my dime...

And THAT, along with their generally miserable performance, is why I despise these things. Used to be, a guy who got into the hobby KNEW the big commitment in time , $$, and effort he had ahead of him. Nowadays, any bone head with ADD and a couple of hundred bucks in his jeans can get "into" helicopters.

Sorry for the rant.[&o]
Old 12-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Moe3754
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

Right on Steve These crap heli's and the 30 day wonders that they produce is destroying this hobby,used to be people just starting out asked for help now they are giving it and poorly at that.I hope that they all fall flat on their faces and loose everything that they put in to it then they won't think that they know it all.Well it is time to leave here just cannot stay around any longer.And I am not sorry for the rant!!!!!![:'(][:@]

Old 12-12-2005, 07:58 PM
mantis*tw*

RC HELICOPTERS=HOBBY
HOBBY=FUN
Sounds like you guys are losing sight of the fun part of rc.Not everyone has tons of money to throw into a hobby/fun.If companies didnt cater to the less wealthy people looking to try something new then when the "real" rc helicopter pilots(the richie riches of the world) die so too will the hobby.I cant afford to pay $1500 to try a hobby that i may not be able to do,but i was willing to spend $200.Now i am saving up to get into the big nitros because i enjoy the hobby enough to continue.Most peole post their opinions because they are having fun with their helis and readers understand that, at least i do.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:44 PM
LSP972

ORIGINAL: mantis*tw*

Sounds like you guys are losing sight of the fun part of rc.
Not at all. One day you'll understand.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:43 PM
credence

Sounds to me like you're just a little peeved that what was once a small and niche hobby has grown and become popular. You can no longer say you're an RC heli pilot and people will go "ooohh, ahh", because they're so common now adays.
You see the same reaction among other areas of interest aswell. Anytime an underground band gets popular the once loyal fans claim the bands are sellouts and do everything in their power to badmouth them. And so the same applies here.

While I do agree that people who simply want to fly and have others do the work for them probably shouldn't be in this hobby, it's like saying someone who doesn't understand how a car engine works shouldn't be allowed to drive. It just doesn't (and won't) work like that. These people will eventually become frustrated enough with their helicopter anyways and end up leaving the hobby on their own, so it's only a minor annoyance to those who do understand helicopters for the time being.

At any rate, widespread exposure among enthusiasts will only be good for the hobby, not bad. The more interest there is, the more manufacturers will look to build and supply parts, which means us, as consumers, get more helicopters to choose from, more parts to choose from, and ultimately lower prices, as more and more competition enters the market.

I don't mean my post to be offensive, just thought i'd add my own thoughts on the matter.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:05 AM
LSP972

Sigh.

In the first place, I never said no one should be allowed to fly them. I did say I have no use for them. Big difference.

But as to your contention that I'm annoyed because of a self-perceived "big-dog" status that is diminished as a result of these things; thanks for the chuckle. Let me guess... you failed psychology, right???

Here's a clue; its not just the e-helis that annoy me. Its park flyers in general. Yes, greater exposure via reduced expense means more potential fresh blood into mainstream R/C. It also opens things up to something you and I and Moe touched on; people who have absolutely no business fooling with these things, and were once deterred by the cost and complexity, now can buy, plug, and play.

As you stated, most of these will eventually become frustrated and leave the hobby. But at what cost to the rest of us while they're still around? The local "renegade" field is now all but useless, because of all the park flyers on 72 mHz on the fringes that come and go. Their owners have NO clue regarding frequency control. While some still do it, I certainly would not put up a model around there, because there is too much space for some nimrod to drive up unnoticed and whip out his new $99.95 park flyer on 72 mHz.

And this specific issue has become a problem at some sanctioned fields that unfortunately have a suitable flying area within interference range. Right here in Baton Rouge, as a matter of fact, at the Red Stick Club, with the new BREC soccer park right across the road. That situation has been resolved for now, I understand; but there is nothing to prevent it from occurring again tomorrow.

Anyway, that is but one concern.

Better luck next time on the psycho-analysis...

Old 12-13-2005, 03:09 PM
Moe3754
Banned

You want to condone it credence That's your problem but as far as I am concerned it is places like these cheap crap hobby shops like that japan2000 or what ever it's name is and junk crap from Flea-bay that have destroyed it and every joe blow is flying junk in every neighborhood it is getting to where I do not want to put my expensive birds in the air because some 30 day wonder is flying his walkera dragonfly nearby and not worried that he could down someone else.Thank god that 2.4 gig transmitters are on the shelves now at least that will protect my stuff from the 30 day wonders.[&:]
Old 12-13-2005, 06:19 PM
LSP972

Moe, I have been thinking about going to six meters because of this situation. However, the club I belong to now is WAY out in the country and it just isn't a problem there; yet.

I have, though, ceased flying my stuff at the other two "renegade" (public) fields, where I did most of my heli flying, because of all the "30-day wonders". Good term...
Old 12-13-2005, 06:27 PM
Ge Force

i think you guys are being to harsh , although im aware of the crappy stuff that some people put on the intenet to make a quick buck, however has anyone of you ever flown one of these? how are you so sure this helicopter is another one of of those crappy heli? i think you are to quick to judge
Old 12-13-2005, 06:59 PM
rjm1982

Wow, talk about elitist attitudes. Its the same attitudes you get from people about ARF planes...

You can try to justify it, but you've basically said, "You didn't work as hard or spend as much as I had to, so you dont belong here"

Yeah, people are turning into crappy fliers, ill give you that, i see alot of them. Wonder why? Maybe because the elitist attitudes of people like yourselves push them away from the notion of trying to find someone to teach them, and they settle for the next best thing, buddies to learn with. That leads to hot-shotting before your ready, but most of them still turn out to be just as good a pilot as you were/are, maybe even better.

The frequency thing comes alot from people not taking the time to explain it. If you want to fly in a public space with no frequency control, then thats the risk you take. Secondly, most of these guys dont even understand the need for frequency control because the morons with your attitude wont take 30 seconds out of your precious life to explain it. All they know is that they bought something that is supposed to fly. You said you train someone on a micro heli on "your time" ... well, if nobody is willing to point them in the general direction of a club, or let them know the basics, how are they going to know? Frequency control seems common sense when you've been in the hobby for a while, but for the average person, its not common sense, it has to be taught.

You have lost touch of the reason people are in this hobby, because its fun. I have a blade CP right now, next is going to be a t-rex, and after that an eco-8 (and if i can manage to save some extra dough, a Joker). I have fun flying, I have fun crashing too, you know why? Because its a challenge, i can crash, brake a blade or a grip, and laugh about it, because you know what...its fun, because im doing something I've always wanted to do, and the fact that someone made an entry level helicopter allowed me to take that first step without worrying about the fear of investing 800 bux in a hobby that I wasnt sure i would enjoy. Now i know i love it and will continue to invest in it.

If you dont want to fly, then dont, but dont blame it on anyone but yourselves. Truth is, you werent ever in it for the fun, you were in it because you thought you were unique, and now that anyone can do it, that doesnt make you special anymore. What does coming here an trashtalking people have to do with enjoying the hobby?

I bet when you were younger and just starting out, if you were in a club, there was probably "that guy" there who knew everything, didnt like anyone, and always injected his opinion into everything. Well guess what, now you are that guy.

"30 Day Wonders", like its some kind of insult. The thing that really amazes me, is that people that have flown .30 sized birds and up, even in 3d, cant get one of the micros into a hover because they take so much more control input to keep still, yet i picked up the sticks on an .50 Raptor and had it inverted, in control, FFF, stall turns, etc....all with just a month of flying the blade under me. These little ones actually teach you more, we dont get a 200 dollar gyro to lock our tail in for us, we have to do that ourselves. We dont get digital servos with dead on accuracy. We get swashplates that get sloppy after 10 flights, balde grips that come with too much slop in them, and we make do, not only that, but we learn on it. Then we pick up the controls of a "real" rc heli, and dont have a bit of problem controlling it.

And before you really criticize people for not coming to a club, listen to yourself. "Im not going to waste my time training someone like that" .. like what, on a budget? Do you really wonder why people dont want to join the clubs and deal with pr|cks like you?

I would venture that neither of you have flown the "Dark Knight 3D" to really have an opinion on it. From what i can tell, it isnt even out yet, but you seem to be experts on its performance.

Either way, get off of your high horse, your not special, and you have ego/pride issues you need to deal with before addressing the general public.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:54 PM
credence

I think rjm1982 pretty much hit the nail on the head, though he was a bit..er..blunt about it .

I can understand the dislike for new people who come into the hobby when they don't even have a third of what you may have invested in your models, and everytime they fly they risk your models. But, I mean, that's life. It's the nature of the hobby. 72 Mhz is an AIRCRAFT channel. Regardless of wether your model is worth $50 or $5000, if it flies, it belongs on 72 MHZ. If you don't like it, basically, find somewhere else to fly. Because park flyers will only increase in popularity, not diminish. We're also going to start seeing a gradual transition to electric power in the coming years I think, which will make the hobby even easier to get into for most folks.

We all take risks any time we fly, that's just the way it is. The issue here is educating "joe blow" on frequency control rather than dismissing them off as idiots, like rjm1982 has already stated.

At anyrate, none of this will matter much in the coming years as spread spectrum is more widely supported by manufacturers. Then we can all fly and be happy and frequency control will be a thing of the past. Or so we all hope, anyways .

I suspect this post may begin to get on the hostile side.. [sm=tired.gif]
Old 12-13-2005, 10:36 PM
LSP972

For crying out loud.

What is with this "Ritchie Rich" crap? Again, I'll try to spell this out... I do NOT judge a modeler by his gear or how much he spent on it; or compare how much HE spent to MY investment. I used the dollar amount as an example of how the reduced cost is allowing a bunch of people into the hobby who are just passing from one fad to the next. A lot of these guys are short-attention-span slobs who have no regard (or care) for the general etiquette of this hobby; that blunt enough for you?

Ah... educating "joe blow" on the finer points of frequency control. Let's see... do we do this BEFORE he shoots down our model? Gee, that would be the smart thing. Of course, if he drives up while we're flying, or we otherwise don't see him, and he jumps out and grabs his gear to fly himself, we'll miss that opportunity, won't we? You guys just aren't getting it.

Turn hostile? Not by me. Its obvious you guys aren't tracking with my thoughts, either through difference of opinion or poor expression on my part. Either way, I'm done. I can handle disagreement. But when I don't seem to be making myself understood, time to bail.

BTW, I love it when someone who knows absolutely nothing about me has me all figured out. rjm1982, I hope psychology isn't your day job either...
Old 12-13-2005, 10:43 PM
credence

You made reference to price differences in both your posts, I suspect thats why the answers you're getting are revolving around that.

At anyrate, I'll drop the subject. No sense in arguing on a forum.

This poor fellows topic has already been hijacked and abused enough as it is.. [&o]
Old 12-13-2005, 10:48 PM
rjm1982

Ok Steve, lets tear your arguments apart.

If you fly in an area with no frequency control, like a park, its as much YOUR responsibility as theirs to watch out for that.

In a public area, you should in NO CASE EVER fly alone without a spotter, everyday people outside of this hobby dont know that these things can do damage and can and will put themselves in a position to get themselves hurt.

And if you have a spotter, which you should, then you would be able to see someone getting ready to fly. If you dont want to waste your time finding out what channel they are on, set down and do a check, kill the engine or disconnect the motor, leave the radio on and see if you get glitching with your radio off, simple check.

If its a club that someone can just come into and fly and jump on a freqency without control, then the club needs to address that.

What you are saying though, it seems, is that you have right of way automatically, because you are more "pro" ... Your in a public place, without frew. control, and thats ok for you. But anyone else has to take precautions for you...

I does scare me though, that you would be somewhere public flying anything, even a simple parkflyer, without a spotter, if that really is the case than you are much mroe dangerous to the hobby than someone beggining in a low budget heli.

Also, someone said something about clubs getting shot down my other people in the area with radios on. Not likely. Most clubs ive seen are like a mile or so from other houses, if not more. Our signals can travel well more than that, but if you are a few hundred feet from the reciever with your tx, and they are even .5 miles away with their tx, you will get very little if any interference, its a matter of signal strength. Especially with newer digital radios... And i have spent 4 years in the RF world, and it was my day job...so i do know some there..

And when multiple people call you out for what you are, they dont need to be psychologists, this is a public forum, as well as a court of public opinion, if you appear to be something, you are.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:20 AM
Moe3754
Banned

Steve as I have said before you cannot teach someone who already knows it all and that is the case here,and rjm1982 I was in this hobby back when your idea of a good time was sitting in front of your TV tube watching Bugs bunny and gnawing on a fudge sickle and as for work I have done more by accident than you have done on purpose.As for freq control that is why I am going to the 2.4 gig band,now that the spectrum radios are out,it may cost me some but the money it saves me from some hunyock knocking me out of the air with his bargain basement heli is a trade off.Steve happy flying my friend and keep it in the air,also watch out for those 30 day wonders.[&:]
Old 12-14-2005, 10:24 AM
rjm1982

Yeah, and being in the hobbie longer makes you better than everyone else, we know. Please, get on your 2.4 so that that those of us who are actually here to have fun dont have to worry about you taking up OUR frequency.

You made my point exactly, with your "bargain bin" helis comment, you think that if someone doesnt spend as much as you, they dont deserve to fly with you...point well taken. Now go away...because im sure with your attitude there really arent many people who want to fly with you...
Old 12-14-2005, 10:38 AM
LSP972

ORIGINAL: rjm1982
Also, someone said something about clubs getting shot down my other people in the area with radios on. Not likely.

Well, there you go. I concede. You obviously have more up-to-date information on local conditions here than I do. I guess the club members telling me about the situation just made it up through boredom, eh? You're trying to engage me in a battle of wits... and I don't fight unarmed persons.

Credence, you are absolutely correct about the thread hi-jacking; and I apologize to the thread originator for doing it.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:55 AM
Moe3754
Banned

I am sorry also to the thread starter about this,as for my part in this I am finished here you cannot reason with the unreasonable these new people are worse than women when they get their narrow minds made up and yes I am selfish and protective of my birds and maybe when your allowance lets you buy a $1000.00 dollar heli maybe you will be to but a couple hundred for a heli is chump change,I spend that on one case of dumb thumb.See ya in the funny papers son!!!!!!![&:]
Old 12-14-2005, 11:07 AM
rjm1982

Moe, spending more money on toys doesnt make you any better than anyone else, and the fact that you make it clear that you think that it does....well, awesome display of character
Old 12-14-2005, 11:36 AM
rjm1982

And the guys at your field found the actual source of their interference? Im sure they had adequate test equipment to verify that it actually was interference from RC TX's and not from 1 of a thousand other things? Did they do anything to try to resolve the problem, like invite said violators into their club?

Like i said, its not likely to be someones TC causing it...have a feild 2 miles from my house, i demonstrated the effects of high-power HAM radio with a directional antenna (dont worry, it was planned, i had guys leave their motors off but their recivers and TX on, and orchestrated it over cell phone...) and was able to get most of them to spaz.

It sounds like the guys in your club were probably getting interference, im not doubting that...but to blame it on people with TXs that probably arent close enough to overpower their transmitters is just the easy way out.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:33 PM
RSL_Mongoose

ORIGINAL: Ge Force

i think you guys are being to harsh , although im aware of the crappy stuff that some people put on the intenet to make a quick buck, however has anyone of you ever flown one of these? how are you so sure this helicopter is another one of of those crappy heli? i think you are to quick to judge

Well one of the guys here at work just got one of these dark knight things three weeks ago and it has yet to to fly, I hate to see newbys who really want to get into the hobby get suckered like this, first thing they see is "R/C Helicopter" and think hey this is what I would like to get into then after never being able to make them fly get discouraged. It has nothing to do with not wanting new folks in the hobby or my crap is better than yours, it has to do with seeing a 15 year old save his allowance for 6 months and get ripped off when the get one of these crappy little "TOYS".

Don't get me wrong there are some great little electrics out there IE; the Hornet, T-rex, Ark 400, MX 400, to mention a few but they are still along way from these cracker jack toys everybody and their brother are sellin on the net now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.