Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Question for Mike Mas

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 04:58 AM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Mike Mas

Mike what tips can you give for learning all the different orientations of a helicopter from upright to inverted?
Old 11-16-2002, 06:12 AM
Culverson
My Feedback: (14)

Mike is here nice, I still have the issue of Hirobo on a nail awesome control to say the least..
http://www.rotory.com/LAUNCH/mastech.html
Old 11-23-2002, 12:15 AM
MikeMas

First thing you have to do is get your ground work done. A real common problem now a days, is as soon as a pilot can fly around, he's upstairs learning aerobatics and he never gets back down to the ground to learn how to fully control the machine on the ground.

Learning Inverted today is really best accomplished on a flight simulator. Preparing yourself to look at the machine inverted at all different angles is also important. I also recommend that at least part of the time, you stand up for short periods of time when flying the simulator to simulate your real position at the field. Keep in mind that even though you can do a lot on a simulator when you get the machine out in the field, it's going to be a new ballgame.

Also there is nothing like flying the real model. The best i could figure, 5 flight on the simulator represents one real flight with the actual model.
Old 11-23-2002, 01:58 AM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

Thanks Mike,

I remember seeing a video of you fly years ago, you were fly tail in circles around your self and than piro it to a nose in position. You displayed to ultimate example of control.

How do you feel about a pilot flying different type of heli's (30,60,80 etc)apposed to just one type and practicing only on that one?
Old 11-23-2002, 04:52 AM
Dazzler
My Feedback: (6)

Great question FF2, Mike I'm flying a Freya/YS80 and I want to get a practice heli, and am undecided if I should go with another 60, or go with a 50 size. I'm looking at my practice ship as being a low cost to repair jobbie. For the 60 size, I was thinking about a Raptor 60/OS70, and if I got a 50 size, I was thinking of Sceadu/OS50. I only want to have 2 heli's-max, which do you think would be better for me? Daz...
Old 11-23-2002, 04:57 AM
MikeMas

I think that the new engine classes open up a new spectrum of machines with considerable more aerobatic capability.

I guess it was too simple before with just a 30-45-60 class.

Now we even have turbines! The ultimate for scale, but a bit cumbersome for FishHeads!
Old 11-23-2002, 02:28 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daz, I've been wrestling with the same question; what larger "beater" ship to get?

When you think about it, the Raptor 60 or Freya wins. Yeah, they're more expensive initially, and somewhat more expensive to fix. But if you're planning on using an OS 50, you'll be burning almost as much fuel in what is essentially a spruced-up 30.

AFAIK, the only TRUE 50 machines around are the Ergo 50 and the Robbe Conquest; neither of which (nor their parts) are easily obtainable here. Every other 50 I've seen is either a squashed 60 or a stretched 30; IOW, a compromise. And now that I think about it, the Conquest is a souped-up Moskito; which was/is a 30. A large one, true enough; but still a 30.

We know that the bigger they are, the "better" they fly. So why not just quit farting around and go ahead and bite the bullet, and go with a plastic 60?

So, which one? There are three that I know of: R-60, Freya, and Concept 60 SR II. The Empire is out of their mind asking the price they do for the C-60; and it ain't that great to begin with. I kept mine less than a year.

I haven't paid much attention to the other two until now, so I've got a lot of catching up to do.

But that's half of the fun; poring over specs, etc., and deciding what to lay the cash down on...<G>

Steve
Old 11-23-2002, 02:42 PM
Dazzler

Steve, I'm more and more leaning toward the R60, I compared reapir cost of the Raptor 50 and the Raptor 60, and if you look at the Main mast, boom, belt, flybar, boom supports, spindle, blade grips for the R50. Then the same for the R60 excluding the belt, and including the torque tube, their is only a difference of $1.00 in replacement cost. R50=$62.23 , R60=$63.13.

The big difference is if you crack up the frames, the frames on the R60 is about $60.00 whereas the R50 is about $25.00.

I see now that Heliproz has a special on the R60 where you get the R60 V2, OS70, TT carbon fiber blades, Mavrikk 70 muffler for $789.00 that not a bad deal. Daz...
Old 11-24-2002, 12:26 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the R60 is looking more and more palatable. I never seriously considered a 50 ship.

That is a good deal, but all I need is the kit and a pair of JR grip spacers.

Steve
Old 11-24-2002, 01:50 AM
da_man
My Feedback: (30)

I read that article that the link was to.

Isn't 7 degrees on each end going to make the head speed go past 2000?

Also I have a fury and a raptor 30. I am a bit afraid to fly the 60, but I know I can handle it. I was wondering if a stock raptor 30 with wooden blades be stable enough to do aerobatics. Are there any precautions to take while setting up this type of heli for mauevers like death spirals, tumbles, or rolls.
Old 11-24-2002, 05:02 AM
MikeMas

I would recommend 9 degrees up (glass or wood) - this will give you around -7 degrees on the bottom. This plenty for just about any aerobatics.

Any maneuver you can do with glass blades, you can also do with wood.

The chances of a wood blade in good condition failing in flight from aerobatics or 3D would be like getting struck by lightning.

Regards,
Old 11-24-2002, 05:09 AM
Dazzler

Mike, could you please Post #5 on this thread, and give me a little advice? Thanks, Daz...