Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!
View Poll Results: A poll
Raptor/Vible .50
0%
Raptor/Vibe .90
0%
Vibe .50
0%
Vibe .90
0%
Raptor .50
25.00%
Raptor .90
50.00%
X-Cell Ion-X
25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

whats better (costly)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 05:34 PM
CXela22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats better (costly)

After being convinced in a magazine, when i upgrade to a tournoment quality heli, which one (per month in parts and fuel) and easier to fix

X-Cell Ion-X
or
Raptor (or) Vibe .50-.90

I heard something like for a nitro model its $5 a flight for the motor, and after 150 flights an extencive repair is required.

I heard that the XCIX is electric, and has much simpler motor so its easier to maintain and not as costly

I want honest oppinions here, and please leave a comment sayiing what you picked and why. I may have been misled!
Old 09-06-2006, 05:59 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: whats better (costly)

I would suspect any helicopter will require a tear down and rebuild after a certain ammount of flights regardless of what it is. Though an electric helicopter may not require it as soon since electric motors don't generate the same kind of vibration that fuel powered engines do, so theres less overall part wear. Also, contrary to what everyone would have you believe, brushless motors DO wear out after awhile. Bearings don't last for ever, afterall, especially not at the speeds we run the motors at.

Electric will definately cost you alot more upfront. In the longrun, i'm not sure how they'd compare. The batteries you need are quite pricey for an Ion-X, but the fuel consumption on a .90 size bird is quite high, and nitro fuel ain't cheap. I'd take a stab in the dark and say electric would probably be cheaper over a much expanded period of time (per year). Probably not a huge difference though. But batteries don't last forever either, and most lithium packs are limited to about 250 cycles, 400 if it's a good cell. Electric you pay it all up front, nitro you keep paying to play . Almost like cellphone payment plans..
Old 09-07-2006, 09:27 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: whats better (costly)

Why limit it to these helo's? To me it sounds like you need to figure out what basic helo you want. Gas, fuel, or electric. And then what size, then what level of quality,and then worry about cost.

You are asking about competition level helo's and personally anyone that is at that level already knows what he/ she wants or is limited by who is sponsoring them.

My 2 cents and I didn't bother to vote.