Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

strange question bout hobby sho[s

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!
View Poll Results: A poll
under 50 bucks a month
0%
150-50 bucks a month
33.33%
200 bucks/month
66.67%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

strange question bout hobby sho[s

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 12:17 PM
CXela22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange question bout hobby sho[s

Just a quick question, how much do you think a hobby shop clerk pays? Poll answer 1 and 2 could be realistic, after that, i probably dont think so.

ok, well thats all im askin for. out of anyone, i bet you guys would probably know the best. It could be a potential job when im 15, in the not so far future....
Old 09-16-2006, 12:45 PM
scottsr

Default RE: strange question bout hobby sho[s

Your saying for a month ? How many hours what is he offering pay to start ? This is a fairly easy question for you to answer if he has told you what he is going to start your pay at . I would really think he is going to pay you min. wage . So are you going to just work weekends ? You should make @ $300.00 a month if you work on Saturday and Sunday each 8 hours a day .[8D] Good Luck
Old 09-17-2006, 04:20 PM
CXela22

wow i dont know how to start polls rofl![:@]
thx alot tho, thats what i was planning too
300 bucks a month, could get a T-rex in about 3 guarunteed lol

(EDIT)

heres a question, if I sell a BCX or CP, Trex, even a Raptor to some1, would they pay a commission of some sort?
Old 09-17-2006, 05:47 PM
scottsr

Well I doubt that . That is why they are paying you by the hour . Now if they hire you with the option of paying you on commission then yes you would get a certain amount for everything you sell . That should be discussed and in writing before you start work , now remember you don't sell you don't make money . At your age try to stay with the hourly rate . Hope this helps . Good luck . [8D]
Old 10-05-2006, 09:40 PM
scottsr

OK how about giveing us a update on what happened ?
Old 10-08-2006, 07:20 PM
pipercub123
My Feedback: (1)

Welcome to the wonderful world of work. I'd have to agree, working for commission isn't the best all the time. Some weeks you might make a lot and than another week you might make nothing at all. If you are getting paid hourly, be glad because that's the way to go. Some people get paid hourly and get a commission on top of that. Also unless you get paid under the table, which I doubt happens too much these days, be sure to fill out the tax forms for minor workers. I can't think of the paper you fill out, but the point of it is so younger workers can get taxed less and you'll earn more money. If you do get paid hourly consider yourself lucky. Having a hobby shop business can have tough times just like any other business and I'd be impressed with any hobby shop that can afford to hire extra help and pay minimum wage. I always thought it'd be cool to open a hobby shop, but my old hobby shop just went out of business after a few years of being open so I'm reconsidering that idea. I also have never known a hobby shop owner that hasn't had another job besides the hobby shop. It's too bad all hobby shops don't bring in as much business as WalMart. Enjoy working man and hope you get enough dough for the heli you want. Really I don't think I could work in a hobby shop. I'd spend my paycheck right there and would even make any money.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:04 AM
john68

I seem to recall, from my days as a manager at McDonald's, when I was in college, that employees under 16 could work no more than 5 hours per day, and not after 7pm. there is also a mandatory 30 minute break after so many hours of work.

If minimum wage is $5.15 per hour, or whatever, and you only work sat and sun, then that would be 36 hours per month@ 5.15 per hour, giving you roughly $185 per month. You would have to work weekdays, as well, in order to earn $300 per month, and even then, if you start work at 3pm, after school, you'd have to be outta there by 7pm, leaving you 4 hours, and if you have to take a 30 minute break, then that's only 3.5 hours per day that you could work during the week. Which is roughly $36 per week extra, giving you an additional $145. Your numbers may vary, depending on the minimum wage rate, and how much they take out in taxes. They do take out a chunk in taxes.

You might want to check out Colorado's webpage, and search for "department of labor and industries" and then look up the child labor laws.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:44 AM
CXela22

hmmm, maybe in a couple years i could possibly work there. It would only take me about 3 or more months to get a new heli. Wonder if they discount if you work there.

To explain, when i started this post, i just wanted to know. Me and my dad were discussing this, and I just wanted some facts to talk about.

thanks everyone!
Old 10-16-2006, 09:15 AM
scottsr

Hey no problem at least your willing to go out and work for something you want ! Not like so many kids of today that just sit back at their parents house and think that their parents will just buy what ever they want . I taught my kids early you want something go work for it and they always seemed to take care of those things because they had to go out and earn it . So good luck my friend go get what you want and don't let anyone give you grief . It's very respectful that you are willing to work for something you want . God Bless You Scott Sr.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:48 PM
CXela22

Thanks! I will disclose that i am 13, but this is truly a job that i could do great at. It may be a few years before i can work, but that means i can learn more about the hobby untill then!
EDIT
i will update what the colorado labor law says.