Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

helicopters & neighbors & community

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

helicopters & neighbors & community

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 02:57 PM
helienthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default helicopters & neighbors & community

ok, I'm obviously new here.

I'm dying to know what some of your neighbors & community memebers would think if they saw a large model helicopter hovering.

My neighborhood community doesn't have such toys, and I think someone could possibly grow suspicious.

Please share with me what FIRST reactions you received when folks in your community noticed you flying a helicipter (possible with a camera.)

For example, do folks tend to call the police? I'm just asking because my community is kinda you know, not into this.

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:08 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: helicopters & neighbors & community

For me, it's just been general interest. People walking dogs often stop by to chat and learn about the models. I've also even met a few fellow heli flyers who spot the model in the air and come watch me fly.

I typically try to find areas where I will encounter very few people, but theres always the odd person that sees it in the sky and decides to come over and chat.

I've never been scolded, or even been given dirty looks from flying even my large electrics out in soccer fields and the like. If someone does come to spectate, I explain to them how dangerous the model is and how important it is to stay behind me (ESPECIALLY if they happen to bring their kids along with them). Thankfully, though, i'm not put into that situation often.

I think aslong as people don't hear the weedwhacker noise and see the plume of blue smoke, they don't feel annoyed OR threatened by the models, despite the fact that in reality, the electric counterparts are MORE powerful than the nitro ones and hence, probably more dangerous..
Old 10-15-2006, 11:55 PM
moosemanty

well, when my neighbor first saw me with a heli in my front yard he liked it and was laughing because i was chasing my fat cat around the yard[sm=biggrin.gif] i was just flying my walkera 22d so it's not loud, big, or annoying.......
Old 10-16-2006, 02:30 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

I fire my nitros up in the dead end now and then to test things, up to and including my 90 size scaler. I live in a gated neighborhood so I was wondering if there was going to be a letter in the next newsletter about flying rc helicopters being banned but nobody has said anything, I dont do it early or late though, or run kids off that are already playing.
I also putter around at the soccer field/park in the back of our development, again nobody says anything but I dont do it if there's a bunch of kids around.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:03 PM
paulhenley

hi all

i haven't had much experience with heli's and nabours, mainly because i have only had my heli a week (rappy 50) but i always break my plane engines in a test bed in the garage.
the one experience i have had was when i was spinning the rappy up in the road and my next door nabour cam down a said 'that's some funny looking plane'

i think so long as you aint't screaming the nuts off a 90 size competition heli in you nabours garden, they ain't bothered, if any thing i would say that they express an interest.
but heli's are for the site (with nitro's at least) - if anthing just for saftey reasons.

my views and experiences ...

henley
Old 10-18-2006, 10:33 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, while most of you are answering his question with references to electrics, I have flown up to .90 size fuel and 23cc gassers and I'll tell you that the neighbors do not like it, same with my R/C gas cars, same with a loud mower or weed eater. They don't have much choice about accepting the mower and weed eater as long as it's during acceptable hours but they will call the cops on you for anything out of the ordinary. Also I've had the problem of hovering in the street and they'll go out of their way to try and hit it with their car, they are obviously pretty stupid as the helo, even a .50 would tear the crap out of their car. They also want to stop right in front of you and either ask stupid questions or ***** about what you're doing. Mind you I have only done run up tests and short hoverings and I get this reaction, usually no more than 30 seconds of running time. SInce I've been flying well more than 2\15 years I've also been in more than one neighborhood and most all are the same.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Kevinator9

Is it really that bad? That is a pity. Although I don't think flying on the road is the best option. What if you find a local park to fly at or your backyard (if it's big enough) would they still complain?
Old 10-18-2006, 02:58 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Depends on the neighbors. Where I grew up they would call the cops if there was 2 feet of snow on the ground and we were running the snow mobiles on the streets. Of course the cops had better things to do and couldn't follow us anyway but even during non annoying hours it wouldnt stop them from calling, the kids called them the fun police.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:49 PM
credence

For many folks, it's not even so much the noise, they just can't stand to see someone else having fun.

People will put up with lawnmowers and weedeaters just fine which, in many cases, are just as loud or louder. But if they hear that engine noise and see you enjoying your self instead of working, boy, you better watch out! Sad fact, but that's the way it is.

I should note that my post above was referring to flying out in open soccer fields/public parks here. I don't do much in the way of hovering at my house, except for the ocassional tail stability/tracking tests in the garage or backyard.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:20 AM
Kevinator9

I hope it isn't that bad when I get my Caliber 3. Snowmobiling on the streets! FUN!!! But I can see why SOME people would call the cops. All those old dottery folk who don't like kids having fun (no offense to people who are elderly and are very nice people). Me and my brother were playing soccer one at our camping ground and some fuddy duddy waa waa women came out and told us to play somewhere else. My brothers friend told her to naf off and she got scared or something and walked away.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:31 AM
Helijack

Ok, well snowmobiles, atv's etc are considered off road vehicles and therefor have not paid taxes to use the streets by getting licensing.

Enough of that.

I fly/hover/do run tests of my helicopters at my house, Trex, gassers and a turbine. I don't fly the turbine at all except at a sanctioned field. The gassers I will fly in a vacant lot across the street. The Rex I fly all over the place including around the neighbors trees, yard, creek, up the road (a big steep hill) and so on.

No one has ever given me any grief of any sort. You do need to be aware of folks coming up out of your field of vision, so take someone for a spotter, kid, whatever if you can. Have manners, don't chase the neighbors cat without permission, nor the dog. Don't mess with wildlife (I had a redtail hawk sitting in a tree watching me out in front of my house yesterday.

I think if we are good ambassadors and there aren't any ordinances that might conflict that it should be alright (and there are cities with ordinances about no RC planes). This is something the plankers just can't do, maybe a foamie, but you just don't need much space to fly a heli.
J
Old 10-19-2006, 08:13 AM
darthdrk

I once lived in a neighborhood homeowners association with CCRs(never again). I had a little small Litemachines Helicopter. There wasnt many kids in the neighborhood, just a few but when they were out my heli went in or in my backyard or I stayed in my driveway. There was a huge common area I use to fly over large grassy area. I had a neighbor that had serious problems. They thought they were the street police and they wanted everyone to look at them as if they were somebody. If there were anything stirred up on the street, they did the stirring. They complained to the president of the H.O. assn. which had no problem with me puttering around with my heli. But he told me they complained so, there did come a letter later in the mail (after I moved) that they had banned flying model aircraft. Oh yes, the neighbors that stirred up the fuss moved before me, their reason was all the neighbors didnt like them. Now I live in a secluded area with plenty of flying space and no neighbors to put my business on their nose.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:23 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Beware parks and school yards too, most have rules that ban r/c airplanes and therefore helos. Some don't even let you fly kites anymore. And of course even if they are not sure they will tell you to stop even if it is legal. If they tell you to stop or better before you fly find out what the rules are. I hate to say it but with the new sue everyone mentality alot of common sense things are being stopped. Oh and about us old fuddy duds, watch out kids, coming through!!! Some of us grow older but not up!!
Old 10-22-2006, 10:49 PM
Kevinator9

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU
...Oh and about us old fuddy duds, watch out kids, coming through!!! Some of us grow older but not up!!...
No offense intended...
Old 10-23-2006, 07:03 PM
ct420

I fly my helis (all electric) in my front yard all the time. Never had any complaints. If anything, people tend to be too interested sometimes. I find it hard to fly and carry on a conversation at the same time, so when someone comes over and wants to talk, I always land, then talk... Also, kids will run right up next to the heli, so I am constantly having to tell them to back up! It could hurt you!

They always quickly comply, so never had any trouble...
Old 10-30-2006, 02:47 AM
Prozak

I'm new to all this rc stuff, but if I saw a fairly powerful helicopter flying my immediate thought would be that if for some reason, pilots fault or not, that heli goes out of control someone could seriously be injured. Actually it's one of my concerns with even getting a heli, I'm not into dangerous stuff

But seriuosly, is that a safety concern?
Old 10-30-2006, 01:45 PM
Kevinator9

Some one flew his heli at a park and some kids started chasing it. He tried to land it away from them but they jumped on it. One lost his nose and they lost some fingers... Although I don't think anyone that has a reasonable brain would jump on a heli. Although kids aren't always in the know...
Old 10-30-2006, 02:09 PM
darthdrk

Its hard to believe that some people can be that oblivious to the danger these things can do. Jumping on a heli is about as dumb and stupid as walking in a trains path and think its going to stop in time to keep from running you over. People that stupid I kinda feel sorry for but they ask for it they deserve to get it. Thats a darwin award waiting to happen. Its hard to believe people can be that stupid.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:04 PM
Prozak

ORIGINAL: darthdrk

Its hard to believe that some people can be that oblivious to the danger these things can do. Jumping on a heli is about as dumb and stupid as walking in a trains path and think its going to stop in time to keep from running you over. People that stupid I kinda feel sorry for but they ask for it they deserve to get it. Thats a darwin award waiting to happen. Its hard to believe people can be that stupid.
Before calling anyone dumb, I would like to know how old the kids were. The helicopter probably reminded them of something as innocent as catching a fly, or a butterfly, so if they were really young you can't blame them.

I'd also like to know where the pilot was flying his helicopter. Was it a place that is usually empty? Were there lots of people already in the area? Was it a designated zone? And why didn't he hover the helicopter high enough so that the kids couldn't touch it, then bring it closer to him, and then tell the kids it was really dangerous and to get away from it?

btw Kevin, what did happen to the pilot? Were there charges pressed against him?

Old 11-25-2006, 01:16 PM
Kevinator9

Yes the children were young.
The unsupported results are saddening. This is our sport. Do other people get told off for playing foot ball...
ORIGINAL: Kevinator9

Me and my brother were playing soccer one at our camping ground and some fuddy duddy waa waa women came out and told us to play somewhere else. My brothers friend told her to naf off and she got scared or something and walked away.
(OK they do)...or making models or cruising in their brand new car? NO. Why do we get penalized?
Old 11-26-2006, 08:46 AM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I flew my large gasser (with a HD camera on it) around the neighborhood this summer and no looked twice. They see it all the time. (Yawn)
http://danslagle.com/data/movies/DD2ndAerial.wmv
Old 11-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Christopher J

I fly my helis in the front and back yard. None of my neighbors has said a thing. I had one neighbor that complained to me while I was in the back yard....when he stopped talking I fired it back up and continued flying. Never heard anything from the H.O. Assn. While I have not problem with them if they did come to me about flying my helis I would inform them that they are quieter then most mowers and weedeaters. My neighbor three houses down across the street is a heli pilot as well. Neither of us have any trouble from the others, just mainly interest.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:49 AM
credence

Debian, if that area behind you is your backyard, I am so very..very.. jealous! [8D] The video was excellent, as was the quality. What camera were you using?

Also, I've no experience with gassers but by the look of your skids you've got some pretty good vibes happening. Is that normal among most gasoline engines? I know they vibrate more than nitro engines, but I didn't realize it was quite so bad.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:21 AM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-My- area is the fenced area with the dog in the corner. The people behind me used to own all the land and that hose has been there since 1923. The camera is a Sony A1U. The "skids" are on some very long legs so vibration is exaggerated a bit but yes I have a LOT more work to do before I am ready to brag about my "video helicopter". You will see tend to more vibration in a gasser because they are moving a lot more mass around. But I have had it smoother than that. I am still trying to figure out the whole gasser thing myself.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75831.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	567473  
Old 11-27-2006, 11:27 AM
rjm1982

I fly (when i say fly, i mean hover) my rappy 30 in my backyard all the time.

A neighbor came out once and complained. So i landed. The next day i intentionally went outside with my heli when they were outside

But..it was my blade CX. I was just buzzing around and he came over with that "ooooh...ahhhhhh" look on his face. I let him fly it for a bit, and he was a natural.

Now he owns more helis than me.

Hes actually told me that the reason he came out was because it aggravated him that he didn't know how to do it and had always wanted to, so me flying was like rubbing it in his face. Once he started talking to me and understanding how things worked, he realized that he -could- do it as well.

Moral of the story? Honey > vinegar.

But some people are just jacka--es and they always will be. There is an old lady behind my buddys house that complains when we hover in his yard. She went to the police and the homeowners assoc. and both told her it was ok, and to go away. She still complains. So now we hover in idle up... .60 sized motors scream at 70% throttle...

(ok, so im a little spitefull...i like it that way, i like making people that want to ruin other people's fun even more mad)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.