Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

HOW DID OU START OUT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 05:27 PM
peterlocal22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW DID OU START OUT?

just wondering how you strarted out into the helicopter hobby?
did you first start with a flight simulator, or maybe a 4 channel micro heli, mabe a 6 channel micro heli, or did you just jump right into it?
looking for suggestions on how to start?
Old 01-04-2007, 05:56 PM
archiebald

Default RE: HOW DID OU START OUT?

Simulator (CSM) then straight into a 46 size nitro.

Seriously - a simulator (the best you think that you cannot afford) will pay for itself 50 times over. If I was starting today it would be Phoenix http://www.phoenix-sim.com/

Follow that with a 50 sized nitro for stability and as something to grow into as your experience improves.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:39 PM
peterlocal22

i have the g3.5 sim but a freind of mine recomended i shold buy a blade cp or cx before i try and fly the raptor 50?
how does everyone feel about this?
thanks
Old 01-04-2007, 10:40 PM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SCARED! [sm=bananahead.gif]

Man I had never seen nor heard of a helicopter. Bought a used Raptor 60

On actually seeing it I said "My... I did go just a bit too large on this". (A .30 or .50 Would have been better)

Then the heli started. [X(]

"Damn this is intimidating! But hey I have been on the simulator for hours!"

Popped that Raptor 60 up flew it around for like 20 seconds. 20 Seconds later I was WAY far away for a newbie and the pilot next to me was like "you want me to bring that back here"

I nodded.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:56 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First tried a helo in 77. I had been flying airplanes for a few years and was the best pilot around. A friend bought one, no gyro, and he asked me to fly it for him, I got it to hover and swore I would never ever try a helo again. Fast forward to 1992 and I was working in a hobby shop in CA and there were these brothers that worked there too and they said they were helo pilots and that they could learn to fly a airplane faster than I could learn to fly a helo, Bets ON,,,,, I bought a used Kyosho DX30 from them and the first day(friday) I burned a whole gallon at their heli field. Had sticks and balls and by the end of the day I could hover very well, nose out, nose in. Next day(saturday) I burned another gallon and by the end of the day I was w/o the sticks and balls and could walk the dog, wander around flying 8's etc, they were not there that day, the next day(sunday) I went forward flight and since it was an airplane at that point was doing loops and rolls. They came out that day and they couldn't belive that I was up and flying around. Thats when they told me all they could do was hover! That week I programed in switchless(idleups) and the next weekend I was hovering inverted and doing flips. I bought my second helo that week, A kalt Zr, bought my first .60 size within a month and a gasser within two months. Sadly I burnt out on helos after a year and went back to mostly flying airplanes. I now have a good mix and fly the helos now and then. I bought my first simulator last month, never had one before.

Moral of the story, learn at YOUR pace, take what everyone else has done with a grain of salt and enjoy the ride....
Old 01-05-2007, 03:35 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Simulators and heading hold gyros were myths when I started too. Had an American RC Revolution with a Enya 40, never got it more than 6" off the ground, that was late 70s. In the late 80s I bought a concept 30 with an old mechanical gyro and was buzzing around and doing stall turns in a day or two. I wish I had the internet and a sim, back then it was wait for the next issue of your favorite mag to come out and read the one helicopter article it might have to get info.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:54 AM
Buck Rogers

NO GYROS AND NO INTERNET!!! Were you around in the stone age?? just kiding buddy

well i started with a raptor 50v2. built the kit in 1 day took another 2 weeks to get a radio and gyro. had no idea how to program the radio and set the + and - pitches so i took it out to a club a very helpful guy set it all up. then next week i made a training cart and took it back to the club and he showed me how to do bunny hops. then took it home again started it up in the yard and was hovering in no time. took the training cart off and started really enjoying the hobby of flying model helis

i have leant a lot since then thanks to rc universe and other helpful heli flyers.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:22 AM
evan-RCU

What's the internet? Oh, you mean this new style type writter.....

I wrote that and then though how many young people won't know what a type writter is...... :willy:
Old 01-06-2007, 12:23 PM
broncobill
My Feedback: (11)

I just started two days ago. I got a Blade CX. When time permits, I practice trying to hover in the house. I do not have traing gear, and have not really crashed yet. I almost got a CP, but the sim at the lhs showed me I could not fly it. So far, I really enjoy it.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:49 PM
PutU2Sleep
My Feedback: (3)

Reflex XTR sim, Raptor 30, Barracuda Hockey!!!!!!!! Thats how I started
Old 01-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Raserx

I started by talking to a few guys who already flew them. Two years later I bought a Kalt Enforcer ZR. I learned to hover in one day (w/a rotopod). Then transitioned to foward flight. Thats when I learned about ballooning and had my first crash. I put her back together flew for the rest of the year and then it went into the garage for the nexdt ten years. Just recently got a TREX 450S and feel like Im starting over.

P.S. My first flight simulator was R/C STUNT COPTER for PS2....I love that game. the controls aren't the best but you get the idea on how to fly....I still have the EnforcerZR.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:02 PM
r2helis
My Feedback: (2)

In March of 98, I purchased a dorked (basket case) Nexua 30, OS32FH with an old mechanical gyro. I know (Nexus), please don't hold that again'st me. That was about all there was around here at that time. After putting the little plastic heli back together, installing a hula hoop as training gear, I flew that little machine for about two years and during the learning process, lawndarted it three times. It was a great little teaching aid and I learned a lot with it. I sold it, pruchased a Raptor 30V1 when they first hit the market place and haven't looked back since. Is this one great hobby, or what
Old 01-06-2007, 07:24 PM
peterlocal22

well then il guess i will just keep working on the simulator and then just go fo it with the raptor titasn 50 that im putting together. doesnt seem like theres a big need to buy the micro and try it out. which is good because i wold rather invest the $200 INTO THE RAPTOR.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:49 PM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: peterlocal22

well then il guess i will just keep working on the simulator and then just go fo it with the raptor titasn 50 that im putting together. doesnt seem like theres a big need to buy the micro and try it out. which is good because i wold rather invest the $200 INTO THE RAPTOR.
Just hunt down a good pilot to help you.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:12 PM
w.pasman

Checked local clubs to see what they were flying
Checked how I could get a few lessons and how I could get permission to get there flying
Checked internet to check prices, parts availability, how good the stuff at local club actually is and made my choice

full story here
[link=http://graphics.tudelft.nl/~wouter/helipage/choice/whyraptor.html]how did I start[/link]
Old 01-09-2007, 02:36 PM
evan-RCU

ORIGINAL: w.pasman

Checked local clubs to see what they were flying
Checked how I could get a few lessons and how I could get permission to get there flying
Checked internet to check prices, parts availability, how good the stuff at local club actually is and made my choice

full story here
[link=http://graphics.tudelft.nl/~wouter/helipage/choice/whyraptor.html]how did I start[/link]
Excellent post and attachment! The picture of the Raptor in the field, do you have a better picture of this are, I like the longer grass and wild flowers....

Each person should make a decision based on the things you did, cost, parts cost, percieved quality, what others fly localy, and even the size of your apartment and method of transportation. You really had a small apartment, was the 24 square meters including watercloset and cooking area?
Old 01-09-2007, 10:36 PM
bigdad390

Started with a fixed pitch GMP Cricket, no gyro. Next a Hirobo Shuttle. What a step up, I could actually fly the shuttle around and do some rolls and loops. Next came a GMP Cobra, then a GMP Competitor. After that an GMP/Hirobo Stork which I flew in the Nats a couple years, a X-Cell 60, GMP Legend and a Schluter Magic. There was also a 50 size Kalt Cyclone in there some were.