Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

buying a rc heli

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 10:00 AM
kevin_kaya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a rc heli

well i decided not to buy a mini one cos I rather have it outside and show it of to my neigberhood.

Price doesent really matter but i want somethign that isent dangerous but still very good because my mum wont let me buy it if its dangerous.

I want something thats good to fly around house areas but still good.

hope someone can help me
Old 06-19-2007, 10:33 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: buying a rc heli

If you are going to fly around houses you have to first recognise that these things, even a mini electric, are dangerous and can do some damage. A Trex 450 with carbon blades spinning at 3000rpm has blade tip speeds of 4333 meters/min or 161.5mph and a carbon blade can cut like a knife. So think what a knife on edge coming at you at 160mph can do.... to you, your house, your car, your dog... your neigbors little kid...

Okay now that you're saying WOW, I recommend that you get a smal electric like a Trex. There are great deals on them all over the internet and everyone has opinions on whats best. There are some really nice knock off of the Align brand and you can get some really good deals. Things like radio gear should not be the cheapest or you'll be disappointed, get good radio gear and you can use it on your future hobby toys.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:02 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Evan is right. If you want a hobby that isn't dangerous this one is definitely not for you. People seriously hurt them selves all the time with these models. In some cases, people have even died. You really have to be careful with them.

I'm not trying to scare you, i'm just making sure you understand that there is no "safe" helicopter short of maybe one of those mini radio shack blade runner dealies.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:33 PM
kevin_kaya

ok well, what about the "Blade CX2" someone said it is quite good indoors as well.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:46 PM
TheBum

The CX2 is an excellent choice for a starter heli. It works well in relatively small spaces and is super stable, i.e it will tend to right itself if you release the controls after it strays. Consequently, you won't be doing any fast forward or fast backward flying nor any 3D flying (e.g. vertical rolls or upside-down flying) with it. It also won't handle more than 1-2 mph of wind very well.

It's still not a toy, though, and I've gotten some pretty good cuts and scrapes from the spinning rotors (mostly through carelessness on my part).
Old 06-19-2007, 01:07 PM
evan-RCU

Actually the best helo for the money is the $29.99 picco helos, you can fly them inside, outside in no wind, comabat them with your significant other and they are almost safe (ask my cat)....
Old 06-19-2007, 01:15 PM
kevin_kaya

Just bought the Honey Bee FP or FB (cant remember)

Thanks for the advice everyone...

On my first run ill ask my 5 year old next door neighbour to run beneath it so that incase I crash he can try and catch it so it doesent brake. I really dont want it to break on my first run !!
Old 06-22-2007, 09:38 AM
!burnz

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

Actually the best helo for the money is the $29.99 picco helos, you can fly them inside, outside in no wind, comabat them with your significant other and they are almost safe (ask my cat)....
A few questions:

*Do you have a link for these? I don't think I've seen these yet, but I've just started looking. Heli's have intimidated me for just over 20 years, so I never really looked at them until recently when I seen some buddies with the CX2's. Now with the benefit of lipos I'm considering branching into this field of our great hobby.

*How does the CX2 compare to the Heli-Max RotoFly EX EP that Tower is pushing as a starter? I see it's not a coax.

*How are the coax's that have a tiny tail rotor motor as compared to the CX2 that doesn't?

*Has anyone tried the Airhogs Reflex?

Thanks for the info
Chris
Old 06-22-2007, 10:20 AM
evan-RCU

ORIGINAL: !burnz

A few questions:

*Do you have a link for these? I don't think I've seen these yet, but I've just started looking. Heli's have intimidated me for just over 20 years, so I never really looked at them until recently when I seen some buddies with the CX2's. Now with the benefit of lipos I'm considering branching into this field of our great hobby.

*How does the CX2 compare to the Heli-Max RotoFly EX EP that Tower is pushing as a starter? I see it's not a coax.

*How are the coax's that have a tiny tail rotor motor as compared to the CX2 that doesn't?

*Has anyone tried the Airhogs Reflex?

Thanks for the info
Chris

This is the Picco, it's not a serious r/c helo, but it is real fun to fly-- http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...entPage=search

The Reflex is the next step up at 3X the price, but still a toy....

The CX2 is more of a r/c helo but still not quite there. I bought one for my wife since she enjoyed the Picco so much and it's not really an indoor helo and it doesn't fly that well, anyway she won't fly it, I did and find it boring so it sits on the workbench gathering dust.

The rotofly is the next step up but also still a toy. It has more control but any of the helos that has a motor on the tail and not a tail driven from the main shaft gear has lead and lag issues that give you poor control of the tail.

The next step up for the electrics are a true helo, the tail is driven from the main shaft and you have collective pitch to control up and down. There are some cheap ones and some expensive ones. In general you get what you pay for and the more expensive one's fly much better. Be carefull with cheap.... sometimes you can't find parts for the cheap helos and it costs you more in the long run.

An example of good but cheap and parts are available; http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKXU8&P=7

An example of best; http://www.align.com.tw/shop/product...oducts_id=1572
Old 06-22-2007, 01:00 PM
blade_killer

I dissagree with the info on the CX2, these helies are fine for indoor flight, as a matter of fact, thats what they are best at since they cant take any wind at all. They are fun, and have all the controls except collective pitch. They move in all directions including hover and are fun and somewhat easy to fly (once you get used to them). But I will agree that once you master the CX2 you will want a more advanced heli and you will have to learn a whole new set of skills to control it, but you'll have a head start at it.

well, anyway, just my opinion.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:23 PM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kevin_kaya

Just bought the Honey Bee FP or FB (cant remember)

Thanks for the advice everyone...

On my first run ill ask my 5 year old next door neighbour to run beneath it so that incase I crash he can try and catch it so it doesent brake. I really dont want it to break on my first run !!
Why would you put the neighbor kid in danger? I think you missed what TheBum posted earlier.
Original: The Bum
It's still not a toy, though, and I've gotten some pretty good cuts and scrapes from the spinning rotors (mostly through carelessness on my part).
Any heli that gets up enough headspeed to defy gravity is not something you want to put yourself or anyone else underneath and try to catch it. Also take a look at evean-RCU's post......... These are not kid safe toys and can actually be quite dangerous. kevin_kaya............... yer scaring me.[sm=what_smile.gif][sm=what_smile.gif]

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 06-22-2007, 01:32 PM
evan-RCU

ORIGINAL: blade_killer

I dissagree with the info on the CX2, these helies are fine for indoor flight, as a matter of fact, thats what they are best at since they cant take any wind at all. They are fun, and have all the controls except collective pitch. They move in all directions including hover and are fun and somewhat easy to fly (once you get used to them). But I will agree that once you master the CX2 you will want a more advanced heli and you will have to learn a whole new set of skills to control it, but you'll have a head start at it.

well, anyway, just my opinion.
I agree with you that they are good indoors but you have to have a big enough indoors, not just your living room (at least not mine) as it's pretty big and the blades will do some damage and can knock alot of things off shelves and tables. I guess I should have defined "indoors".

The Picco on the other hand is fantastic indoors, small, light, and almost harmless...
Old 06-23-2007, 12:21 AM
blade_killer

I dunno, I guess it depends on how well you can control it and how many people are in the area, but I can fly mine through the house (and doorways) with out much problem, but I wont fly it in the house around the kids, they tend to run around without looking where they are going....
Old 06-23-2007, 01:30 AM
!burnz

Thanks for the replies! Wow, that t-rex comes with all of that alum and carbon? Easy to work on? I enjoy the mechanical part as much or more than operating them.

My biggest obstacle will be going from a pistol grip (over 20 years) to a stick (briefly used one, when my dad flew planes, 24 years ago. I was 8 then)

How is the Esky Robins 22 "New Lama" Just seen the ad on this forum.
http://www.nitroplanes.com/ro224rarecor.html
You get what you pay for scenario? A step down from the CX2?

I guess all the micro's like the CX2 cant take wind. My buddy said he can blow on his CX2, while hovering, and move it over a few feet.

Newb questions:
What is collective pitch and what does it do? Do all coax's lack this?
I also see 3D thrown around alot. Is that just able to fly in any direction and inverted?

Thanks
Chris

Now that my dad is retired, I'd like to get him back into the hobby. He usually just watches when I run my truck or boat. Maybe I can tempt him with a heli.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:55 AM
mrasmm

well the esky robbins heli I would say is probably alot like the lama with a different canopy. The main differences vs the cx2 is that the cx2 has dsm and you can get parts at the LHS where the esky is standard 72mhz and parts are mail order.

Collective pitch is where the blade changes pitch in flight, vs fixed pitch. I've never seen a heli that is coax that is anything besides FP or fixed pitch, well besides the real ones of course.

yeah 3 is basically aerobatic flight that includes inverted flips and rolls and stuff

hopefully that answered what you were asking. Heli's are defiantely alot of fun, and will probably be hard for your dad to say no to =)
Old 06-23-2007, 09:05 AM
chazdraves

I'll just throw in my 2 cents as well...

The PiccoZ is a blast if you're looking for something to mess around with (mostly indoors). The CX2 would be the first step (for me) into RC heli's. It's not quite the real deal, but it will get you a feel for the hobby while still being able to fly indoors. If you honestly have a sincere interest, I would start with a TREX 450SA and a DX6/7.

For what it's worth,
- Chaz
Old 06-23-2007, 09:16 AM
TheBum

Collective pitch is where the blade changes pitch in flight, vs fixed pitch. I've never seen a heli that is coax that is anything besides FP or fixed pitch, well besides the real ones of course.
More specifically, it has to do with the way altitude is controlled. Even on an FP heli the blades will change pitch, but they only support what's called cyclic pitch, which is where the pitch (and, therefore, lift) varies over the 360 degrees of rotation to effect lateral motion. On a CP heli, it's possible to change altitude without changing how fast the rotors are turning by changing the pitch of the blades equally through the entire rotation. One advantage to CP is that altitude changes are nearly instantaneous; with FP, there's a delay while the motor speeds up or slows down. Another advantage is that negative lift can be accomplished by pitching the blades down past level, which is what enables 3D flying (loops, rolls, upside-down).
Old 06-23-2007, 10:20 AM
kevin_kaya

Woow i just got my heli going and WOOOW. I couldent get it more than an inch of the ground !!! Every time I tried to take off it just kinda crashed. Could someone please give me some advice like:

When lifting off do you do it fast or slow?
Will it brake easily?

Oh and P.S I was kiding about that 5 year old neigbour thing :P
Old 06-23-2007, 12:34 PM
!burnz

This is the Picco, it's not a serious r/c helo, but it is real fun to fly-- http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...entPage=search
So the Air HogsĀ® Havoc S07 Remote Control Helicopter is the Picco?

How do you control the collective pitch? Do you twist the left stick on the transmitter?
Old 06-23-2007, 05:35 PM
mrasmm

ORIGINAL: !burnz

So the Air HogsĀ® Havoc S07 Remote Control Helicopter is the Picco?

How do you control the collective pitch? Do you twist the left stick on the transmitter?
the picco and the havoc are actually the same thing, they are both made by silverlit which is the original mfg of the toy.

About the collective, unless you know someone really cool like the kid on ebay that made it into a 4ch heli, there's only two channels, up and down, and left and right
Old 06-23-2007, 05:39 PM
mrasmm

ORIGINAL: kevin_kaya

Woow i just got my heli going and WOOOW. I couldent get it more than an inch of the ground !!! Every time I tried to take off it just kinda crashed. Could someone please give me some advice like:

When lifting off do you do it fast or slow?
Will it brake easily?

Oh and P.S I was kiding about that 5 year old neigbour thing :P

as far as taking it off, hold the heli by the delta fins that act like the landing gear between your thumb and forefinger and just take it off from your hand. Give it full throttle until it gets into the air. Also make sure your battery is charged. If it still doesn't work, charge the battery and when the green light goes off then turn off the tx and turn it back on and wait for the green light to go out again, do this until the green light stays on for like 1/2 sec or less. After that run the heli for about one min and then repeat the process up to about 5 or 6 times and that helps the battery work a bit better. I sure hope you didn't run the battery dead though like the "manual" *cough* sheet of paper *cough* says to do.