Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

What is considered Heavy Aerobatics???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

What is considered Heavy Aerobatics???

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 02:19 AM
JLundberg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is considered Heavy Aerobatics???

I'm new to the Heli world and am looking at the Logo 10 to start with.

I will be using ht-85 with metal gears I know I shouldn't do Heavy Aerobatics with this servo.... but what exactly is Heavy Aerobatics??? If I am in a hover and I hit full up collective or if I am like 5 feet off the ground and hit full up (get scared) and hit full down??????

Am I then done??? Will this strip the gears or break something?

Thanks for the info,

John
Old 03-10-2003, 03:38 AM
Lynx

Is the Logo10 an electronic CCPM helli? Because the pitch on an ECCPM helli is controlled by all of the servo's at the same time so the torque of all three servo's adds (with some loss) The Cyclic pitch is also controlled by all the servo's but all the servo's don't add the same was as the pitch cyclic does. This is one of the advantages of CCPM. Think of light vs heavy as being how long a period of time the servo's are slammed like that. If you're constantly loading the servo's as in full loops while piro'ing or whatever that's one thing. But if you're just doing FFF and banks hovering and 'hops' that's definilty light. Even inverted is only light as long as you don't slam the sticks when you transition.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:19 AM
JLundberg

Yes it is CCPM. So what you're saying is... if during my flights I need to do full stick travel like for loops or even large hops then I may be in trouble.

The specs say to use servos with 35 to 59 oz in. The HS-85-MG are 41.66 oz in.

I haven't heard how these hold up in a Logo 10 but I'm sure the metal gears help.

Thanks for the info,

John
Old 03-10-2003, 07:12 PM
Buzzin Brian
My Feedback: (1)

Actually most that have tried it out have found that all metal geared servos are not the best idea in a helicopter. They tend to develope to much slop. Which is not a good thing, specially on a CCPM machine. Even the higher end servos that a lot of the contest guys use have mostly plastic gear servos. If not all plastic. Just an FYI.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:28 PM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

If a servo is designed properly, the gears should not break even as the motor is outputting its maximum possible torque. Gear breakage usually occurs as a result of a crash.

Having underpowered servos would most likely result in sluggish control responce because the motor could not positively reposition the swash plate.

BTW, the best looking 3D flying I've seen was done very smoothly and I suspect the load on the servo's was quite low.

Tom
Old 03-12-2003, 08:31 PM
JLundberg

Thanks for the info.

John
Old 03-13-2003, 02:07 AM
davidj

Heavy aerobatics are defined as an Xcell or Bergan Gasser doing loops and rolls.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:22 AM
Al Magaloff

davidj, you obviously don't know much about gassers. John, the Logo will be fine the way you have it outfitted. I would not consider a Logo10 a 3D machine.
Old 03-13-2003, 03:34 PM
davidj

You are right I do not know a lot about the gassers. I have flown both and they are and fly heavy. Both flew great and were very smooth. The previous post was a joke.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:25 PM
Al Magaloff

Not to the people that own them. And by the way, I've been into helicopters for 22 years. When did Kyosho ever make a helicopter?????? yuk, friggin', yuk!
Old 03-15-2003, 03:07 AM
davidj

I do not understand why heli pilots like you get so defensive about your choosen type of model. Why do you respond to a light harted joke with such a bad additude? Is this nomal for east coast pilots? Kyosho was one of the leaders in making Heli's what they are today. Bergan was also but look at where they are now. With your 22 years in this hobby I would think you would realize the contribution Kyosho has made to the hobby. I have only 16 years (8 with heli's) flying RC and I can tell you here on the west coast Kyosho's SRX and 60SR were very well received in the early 90's. So please tell us why you think your porky overweight great flying easy to start heli that runs on cheep gas make you so superior.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:51 AM
Al Magaloff

Sorry, Dave, but if you want to improve your posture, try sitting up straight. Don't lightheartedly slam another brand.