Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

coaxial or standard?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 01:07 AM
3D 4 ME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coaxial or standard?

I've been flying helis for about 5 years and my best friend wants to get into this wonderful hobby. Should a noob start with a regular or a tandem?
Old 08-14-2007, 01:20 AM
mrasmm

Default RE: coaxial or standard?

if you have a sim put him on that and see how he does, or take him down to the hobby shop. Most of them have demo sims. If he is a quick learner and gets bored quick, then the single rotor. If he is a average or slower leaner and wouldn't get bored with something simple get a coax heli. If he's somewhere in the middle, then go with an fp heli. It would also depend alot on his budget as well.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:53 AM
3D 4 ME

I have g3.5 and he just learns how to tip over. His problem is that he doesn't want to learn he just wants to fly without thinking about it. Is he mature enough for this hobby?
Old 08-14-2007, 07:24 AM
mrcandyman

no, he really isn't....it takes a lot of patience and learning which he obviously lacks
Old 08-14-2007, 03:24 PM
HeliTB

I second that, this hobby takes lots of patience and lots of cash.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:33 PM
TheBum

ORIGINAL: HeliTB

...and lots of humility because you have to accept the fact the you *will* crash. The secret is to minimize the damage, which is where the patience and practice comes in handy.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:15 AM
calvino

ORIGINAL: TheBum

ORIGINAL: HeliTB

...and lots of humility because you have to accept the fact the you *will* crash. The secret is to minimize the damage, which is where the patience and practice comes in handy.
totally, get good at flying before showing off to parents, friends, family... he should get better in the sim or move onto a different form of RC. I have to say from personal experence with my CX that it takes patence, guts, luck, and money to work good. I remember after taking a weight traning class going down to the LHS to get more blades... has he tried out planes, I hear they are easier to fly than heli's???
Old 08-15-2007, 03:50 PM
tailspin450

I started flying with a £100 coaxial and i can tell you learning to fly it was a dream. They are much more docile than a standard heli and concequently i rarely suffered bad crashes. I was flying succesfully after 4 days and only 2 new sets of blades.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:31 PM
3D 4 ME

Thanx for your help guys. I think i'll buy him the blade cx or the mash heli.[8D]
Old 08-17-2007, 01:56 AM
calvino

ORIGINAL: 3D 4 ME

Thanx for your help guys. I think i'll buy him the blade cx or the mash heli.[8D]
get the Blade CX2, better radio... also, with that get the training gear (CF rods and ping pong balls, good $10.00 investment), and one pack of Upper/Lower blades and skids. Trust me, the extra $22.00 (ish) is a good idea as it will mean more time to fly... Even out of the box, I was at least somewhat hovering... at the end of the day, I took the TG off and started to fly on my own. If you can, goto a LARGE indoor building, a warehouse, large gymnasium is also a good idea. That is my speach on what to get/do to get your bud into the joy of RC helis
Old 08-17-2007, 03:00 AM
3D 4 ME

Yeah, the cx2 is way better than the original[8D] but he's been eying the cx mash chopper for a while[] maybe i'll paint it green and put a med sticker on it
Old 08-17-2007, 05:32 PM
calvino

na, tell him to get the cx2, same price as the cx, better radio... also, E-flite stuff seems to be in every LHS I can think of, tell him to get the CX2 instead of the mash...
Old 08-21-2007, 04:00 PM
3D 4 ME

yeah, the cx2 is the best choice. he'll be flying (crashing) a little red helicopter very soon!