Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Breaking back Into The Hobby

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Breaking back Into The Hobby

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 02:10 AM
Paul G.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaking back Into The Hobby

From yhe posts that I have received I must believe that my GMP Cobra is dead. (No parts availability) I would like to purchase a new helo. I would have to classify myself as a beginner. Any suggestions on what type of helo to buy? I have a transmitter, Futaba FP-T7FGH and 5 servos Futaba FPS-130, I also have a Futaba Gyro.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:52 PM
Just Dallas
My Feedback: (4)

Default GMP Cobra

Hi

Do you want to sell your Cobra?

Dallas
Old 04-04-2003, 01:35 PM
dyazdani

I'm not familiar with that Tx, is it CCPM capable? If not, you may want to think about getting a new radio as well.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:21 PM
Steve Campbell2

Paul,

Your radio will work fine for any of the mechanical-mix plastic 30 ships; or older higher-end machines such as the X-Cell Sport Trainer.

There is a growing "perception" that CCPM is the wave of the future and to be desired. Well, perhaps. Many of us remain unconvinced, and are quite happy with our standard-mix ships.

You might want to get some new servos, however. Those S130s are quite long in the tooth, and it is simply a good idea (and cheap insurance) to put new servos in your new machine.

I'm assuming you have a G-154 or similar mechanical gyro. These work great for "normal" (i.e., no stick-banging) flying, but the springs and motor bearings do wear out, and one bad thing about mechanical gyros is that they rarely give any warning that they are about to puke. So you might want to consider a new gyro as well.

But that old pot radio is a good one. Computer radios and heading hold gyros have spoiled the current generation of new heli pilots by making set-up a literal no-brainer. Good for the hobby, since many of these guys would not have the patience necessary to do it the old-fashioned way with out-dated gear. I would invest in a new TX battery; other than that, assuming it is in good condition, I would use the hell out of it.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:45 PM
concept1
My Feedback: (2)

hello and welcome back, I remeber the cobra, and you can find parts on ebay, but if you truly want to get back get a new bird and radio. I started with a rebel which was the baby to the cobra, in 1988, I got back into heli's 2 yrs ago and you will not believe the difference in technology. by the way I am in N. Lima OH just up the road from you. feel free to shoot a email [email protected] for any questions. we now have a pretty good hobby shop in austintown now and Rob is pretty help full but he really pushes the raptor. I fly century and Highly recomend them. the new hawk sport is now $159 shipped. as for the gyro Yes is will work but the $200 spent for the futaba gy401 will be the best money you will posibly spend. i would get the gyro before a radio if cash is short. I only check email M-Fri up till 4:30 fri so lets talk if you need some help. their is also a good heli club now but I assume you are like me and have a place to fly on your own. I am teaching one guy now and we plan on flying Sat afternoon weather alowing if you want to stop up or just bring your equipment and I will check it out.

Jon
Old 04-05-2003, 10:12 PM
Galifrey

lol ccpm latest fashion....

If it has ccpm that is cheaper to make then people will pay more for it...

What does that tell you...