Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

60 size Schluter, questions from a heli novice...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

60 size Schluter, questions from a heli novice...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 03:46 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 60 size Schluter, questions from a heli novice...

Hi, I just aquired the above mentioned heli...Don't know much about it though. I've been flyin' fixed wing A/C for almost 30 years now, but got a deal on this 'copter that I couldn't refuse. Besides recommending a sim to learn some basics, what can you guys tell me about Schluter? Are they still in business, I hear parts are hard to come by? I'd like to get it going, but if I can't get parts then my foray into the heli world could be very brief, as I'm sure to bust something...I was told it's about 6-8 yrs. old, and has an Enya .60X in it. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:24 PM
fitenfyr-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes and Yes...

The Schulters no longer have parts available from a distributor.
You will have to find a used stash.

I would seriously recommend that if the heli is not 100% then don't fly it. Sell it on E-bay for some cash and pick up a good Raptor 30 or Shuttle to learn on.

If it is 100% complete and ready to fly then fly it! You can learn the basics of hovering and such on ANY helicopter. First crash and you throw it away though.

Hope some of that helped.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:57 PM
larrytoelle

Have to agree with Fite on all ... except on one point.

If you're new, then don't fly it ... save it. These are great old birds, and they're worth keeping around. Some of us collect a few as Sunday flyers.

What model Schluter is it?
Old 04-08-2003, 09:36 PM
helifreak

The Champion still has parts available....
Old 04-08-2003, 09:39 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had 5 Schluter helis. Sold them all after I flew my first Raptor. They are nice birds, but parts are impossible anymore. I used to be a dealer for them but that was before I went to flight school and when I came back, they were gone. Bummer. Look at a raptor 30 or 60 to learn on. They are great helis and are a lot of fun. Save the Schluter for later, or sell it to someone who needs it for parts and spares.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:46 PM
proptop

I'm not sure which model it is...In profile, it looks kinda like a Jet Ranger(?) It doesn't have any radio, or any electronic equipment of any kind. The heli's bearings, shafts, etc. are all in good shape...The blades are wood though, does that "date" it somewhat? The eng. will need new bearings, and I'd probably need some special servos? I think I'll just hang it up and look at it for awhile, and see if I can get the engine going first. I've got a lot of fixed wing aircraft to keep me busy and spend money on, ya know I'll look closer for a model #, thanks!
Old 04-08-2003, 11:42 PM
larrytoelle

helifreak,

I'm unaware of a retail Champion parts outlet. I've got a list of people that have horded parts, and I grovel a bit and find my parts that way or trade from my own parts bin.

I love to fly the Champion ... it's not a real performer, but it's a nice flyer anyway.

Who do you have in mind? I need some t/r grips ...
Old 04-09-2003, 02:41 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the engine just seized? There are two things you can do. Take it apart, soak it in alcohol and clean all the parts off good with a toothbrush. Put it all together and lube it good with marvel mystery oil.

Option two is to just soak it good with marvel. Fill the head, case and open the carb and fill inside the carb and crank. Turn it slowly a bit at a time and it will eventually loosen up to where you can turn it. It will work out and loosten up.

I have done both and neither has hurt the engine.

Dont turn it with a plug in when it is full of oil. Will bend the crank.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:24 AM
proptop

Thanks FLYBOY, I got the eng. out, and it was just gummed up. Some rust on the crank+bearings though, and I plan on getting some new ones.(probably from Boca) I posted a thread in the eng. discussion forum already, seems the Enya .60X is AAC, and it's got a nice carb. on it...Sometimes I use auto carb cleaner, or drop it in a coffee can and cover it w/ cheap laquer thinner.(after removing any plastic parts, of course) I'm gonna keep the engine, maybe I'll sell the heli, if anyone's interested?
Old 04-09-2003, 09:19 AM
helifreak

larrytoelle,

Last time I talked to Paul @ HUI, he said that parts were still available for the Champion. Contact information is at http://www.robbeusa.com/ Give him a call...he may have what you need.

Eric
Old 02-01-2013, 09:30 PM
dave155

Default RE: 60 size Schluter, questions from a heli novice...

do you still have the heli and if so can i see some pictures and is it for sale.