Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

3D Blah Blah Blah

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 09:29 PM
pcampjax
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D Blah Blah Blah

I hate to say this but I feel like I have to. No, I am not a troll. Just a long time RCer that needs to get this off my chest.

I started flying RC Heli's when they first came on the market, gyros were mechanical and a minimum 6 channel radio/receiver with mixing was a must and not easy to find. Simulators were not around yet so all practice was done on your machine and at your expense and that it was… an expense!

The best part was transitioning to forward flight and seeing your heli fly like a "real" one, then adding an occasional roll or loop was well, really cool.

Grant you, this 3d "flying" is no doubt a challenge but in all honesty it’s UGLY as sin! To see a beautiful machine go through these nonsensical gyrations is enough to give anyone a headache. Occasionally I can see a “hurricaneâ€, “tornado†or “tic-tocâ€, but constant mosquito-like movements of back and forth, side to side, upside down….etc, etc is just boring and unpleasant to the eye. It makes me wonder what’s next for RC heli flying? OK so you can 3D your heli like it has a bad case of turrets syndrome, let see you do some real precision flying like the pattern flyers do. Anything but this 3D NONSENSE!!!!

That’s enough therapy for one post. I feel better now.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Druss

Default RE: 3D Blah Blah Blah

To each their own. It's like with anything, there are different styles. You sound like you like FAI style flying, that's great but don't rant on those who don't and enjoy the "3D flying", and yes, as long as you're still in the air it's still flying.

Some ppl like to watch rally racing and others like F1 racing, big difference between the two but it's still driving. Very different skill sets as well.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:58 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I see you're in Jax, have you seen me fly my MD 530?
Old 07-25-2008, 11:42 PM
pcampjax

Andy,
No I haven't. I don't have much time to get out to the field but one weekend when the wife and kids are out of town I will make an attempt.
BTW, are you the test pilot for the Beam that was reviewed?
Hope to see you soon.
Paul
Old 07-26-2008, 05:41 AM

Aah, the real problem is you haven't yet seen someone who is good at flying 3D. There are few such pilots around.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:29 AM
pcampjax

Yes I have seen many "good" 3D pilots. But I just can't watch it for very long without getting dizzy......
Hope to come out to the field one day. I have some planes I fly too.

On another note, it's really good to see the Jax RC (we used to call the North Side Field) doing well! The Website is awesome!
I was very much involved with the Gateway club several years ago and now I understand they are loosing there flying site...bummer.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:13 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Yea they are dropping a VA cemetary smack in the middle of it.

C'mon out any time, all the chopper dudes in jax are congreating there. 3D, even good 3D gets boring after watching it a bit and people really like seeing me fly the scale stuff. I do both.

I did the write up and filming/photography for the Beam but my buddy Ray was on the sticks for the actual flight. Its easier to find a good pilot than a good camera operator.

Our Fall Helicopter Gathering will be October 18th, Peter Wales will be there with his scale turbine stuff along with quite a few hot shots flying 3D