Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Nexus Starter Shaft Problem

Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Nexus Starter Shaft Problem

Old 05-26-2003, 05:56 AM
doc-b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nexus Starter Shaft Problem

I have a nexus 30.
The Pin at the lower part of the starter shaft, near the clutch, keeps shearing. It shears after about every 10 starts. Help please
Old 05-26-2003, 02:32 PM
rtrickyjr
My Feedback: (1)

Default Nexus

I started on a Nexus, was really good machine with the exception of your problem. I tried using pieces of finishing nails, etc., but what seemed to fix it for me was to make sure to not flood (hydraulic) when starting (this will break the shear pin), and, before using a new one, disassemble the shaft, gear, pin combination, and using a tapered grinding wheel in my dremel, chamfer the sharp edges on each side of the hole that's through the start shaft. These are really sharp, and with the constant back and forth motion on the pin while running the bird, cut the shear pin. This fixed my problem, and yes, the nail fix worked great, and saved buying the whole assy. when it did shear. Just try nails til ya find one thats close, and if it's a little loose, knurl the nail any way ya can. I used cutting pliers to 'knurl' it so I got a tight fit. Hope this helps, Rick. Oh, and if the nail is a little big, sand it down.
Old 05-26-2003, 03:26 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The fastest way to break the pin is hydrolock. I replaced the pin with a drill bit. It lasted for over a year of flying. Find a drill bit that is just a slightly tight fit and press it in. I also used red loctite when I put the pin in.

If you turn the start cone over with your finger before trying it wih your starter, you can tell if the engine as been flooded. I put a header tank on to stop the siphon effect when filling the stoke tank.

Dru.
Old 05-26-2003, 03:47 PM
rtrickyjr

Default drill rod

Be careful using anything to hard ... it's a shear pin, designed to break before breaking more expensive parts.
Old 05-26-2003, 04:46 PM
doc-b

Well I fill directly to tank. Is it possible to flood engine, by filling the way I am doing
Old 05-26-2003, 07:47 PM
rpat

Doc b
I always use a hemostat when I have fuel in the heli. This stops any fuel from getting into the carb and flooding things. Then when I am ready to start the engine I take it off and every thing is ready to go without flooding the engine. it has never failed me.
Rich Paterra

Nexus 30
Raptor 30
Old 05-27-2003, 02:03 AM
r2helis
My Feedback: (2)

Default starter shaft

Hi doc-b,

The starter shaft pin is a definite weak point on the Nexus all right. Over the years I have gone through several of them. I have tried the roll pins, nails, piano wire, etc. I tried the small drill bit method and it worked great, never had another problem with the system after that. I do agree that when there is a problem with the system, something has to break and it's normally the weakest part. The original starter shaft pin was designed to sheer, the drill bit will not give as easily. I wish you well and many happy landings.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:18 AM
MAXXHEADROOM

Default hardened pin

I have a hardened pin in mine and guess what the shaft broke right at hole
Old 06-05-2003, 02:59 AM
rtrickyjr

Default Nexus problem

Try my fix on the new one before you put it in, will last alot longer. Happy flying
Old 06-05-2003, 09:57 AM
g2driver

Default start shaft pin

make sure you are using a starter wand with a one way bearing and not a solid shart shaft (such as used with the raptor).

I have broken many shafts also, but all related to using the wrong starter wand.

Raj
Old 06-05-2003, 09:18 PM
MAXXHEADROOM

Default good info

thanks for info will do with new shaft.Problem was created by myself after I couldnt get it started .I took off cone starter and decided to try hex drive starter with hex in cordless drill I had problems trying to start again so I held my finger over exhaust trying to prime and ended up hydrolocking engine while trying to start.Wont do that again!
Old 06-06-2003, 02:00 AM
rtrickyjr

Default yea

We all have done dumb things, don't sweat it, good luck on it, and enjoy flying! Rick