Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

MULTI GOV PRO

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MULTI GOV PRO

Last week I put a multigov pro with mixture control in my Raptor 50. It really make the heli handle better and gets max power without worrying about burnng up the engine. Longer run times too.

This week I put a multigov in my Raptor 90. Today I landed in idleup and hit throttle hold. I should have switched back to normal before switching out of hold. The gov hit full throttle with the head not spinning. I sheared the pin on the 45 degree gear on the idler shaft and locked up my one way bearing.

Live and learn, but I sure like the governor. It's much smoother and a great addition to your ship whether you are doing 3D or not.

I have been doing some loops and flips and the governor makes them much easier. They are still not pretty, but i'm workin' on it.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:38 PM
tadawson

Default RE: MULTI GOV PRO

That shouldn't be possible if the MG is setup correctly. Most gov's require that you have at least 30% to 40% throttle before they will engage, which would not be possible if your head is not spun up, or you have an absurdly high throttle hold setting. Isuggest giving the docs a reread and running the setup again, and contact Aerospire if need be. This just isn't right . . .

-Tim
Old 06-02-2009, 06:51 AM
Flying Geezer

In idleup mode your throttle is always at 50% or more. Am I missing something?
Old 06-02-2009, 07:10 AM
Flying Geezer

I just re-read the instructions. The governor should not kick in before the throttle stick is above 50%. The stick was above 50%. The second requirement is that the head speed must be within at 70% or more of speed the gov is set for. There was no head speed. something mal-functioned.

Thanks for suggesting a re-read.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:18 PM
tadawson

ORIGINAL: Flying Geezer

I just re-read the instructions. The governor should not kick in before the throttle stick is above 50%. The stick was above 50%. The second requirement is that the head speed must be within at 70% or more of speed the gov is set for. There was no head speed. something mal-functioned.

Thanks for suggesting a re-read.
Well, the gov can't see head speed, but can see the engine speed, which should be the same thing. Once the speed drops low, and the gov drops offline when you go into hold, the spoolup delay should also rearm, and when it does come back online, it should come back slowly. How do you have that set?

For that matter, depending on your setup, if you had the gov bypassed in hold, and then came out of hold into idleup, that *would* slam a pretty high throttle setting though without the gov having any involvement whatsoever . . .

- Tim

Old 06-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Flying Geezer

I don't have the governor set up in HOLD at all. Should I?

After I landed in idleup I hit HOLD and then pulled the collective stick all the way back, as I would in NORMAL mode. When I turned HOLD off, the throttle setting was full throttle, negative pitch.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:54 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I doubt it was the governor, it was probably just the V curve in your throttle curve that slammed the motor to full power.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Flying Geezer

You may well be right. Perhaps the gov didn't re-engage because the head speed was not up to 70% of the 1900 rpm the gov wanted. That would have put it to full throttle till it got to 1330 and then it should have kicked in and pulled it up to 1900. I hit the kill switch before it could reach that speed because the tail wasn't holding and the tail rotor was barely moving.

So, I spent $34 plus shipping at the flip of a switch.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Erich_F

He is right. Anytime you switch out of throttle hold when the Idle Up switch is active, especially when the collective is at the bottom, you will have a 100% acceleration wether you had a governor or not. In fact, you should know that already if you set up your throttle curves. Otherwise, what did you expect would happen?

I rolled my Caliber 90 onto its side once by accident doing this. I had just landed from an auto, then Nob Muraki and I were talking about my technique during said auto. The distraction of the conversation interfered with my mental checklist to come out of idle up before turning off hold. The engine went to 100% and the tail swung around violently (bird was sitting on smooth pavement) and rolled over before I could reset hold.

I was pretty pissed at myself, and now don't converse with folks until my switches are reset.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Flying Geezer

I didn't expect anything. Just like you. I flipped without thinking about my idleup switch position. It's not what did you think. It's we didn't think.

You plead distraction, i'll plead senility.

How do you like you 12FG? That's what i'm using. Maybe Futaba could program it to go into throttle hold normal mode if the sticks didn't move for 5 seconds.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Erich_F

The 12FGH has been a fantastic radio. My favorite so far in 21 years of RC...I really like the CCPM linkage compensation and swash mixes. Makes for a very true flying setup in all flight regimes.