Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Drifting Tail in HH

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 08:51 PM
Jim Schwagle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drifting Tail in HH

I have a Hawk Sport, Futaba 9CH and 401 with 9253 servo. I set up the radio and servo as per the Raptortechnique web site. Lift off the heli in Normal mode and adjust trim so that the tail is steady. Land, switch to HH then lift off and the tail slowly drifts to one direction, always the same. Not quickly, but every 5 seconds or so I must correct with rudder. The rudder linkage is just about perfectly 90 degrees, Revo mixing is off, no sub trim is set but no matter what I do the tail drifts. The tail rotor has plenty of throw in both directions and my pirouette rate is high both ways so there is plenty of authority to move in both directions. Any thoughts?
Old 06-22-2003, 10:28 PM
scott36
My Feedback: (54)

iam thinking its in your engine tuning.
to rich or to lean,thats been my problem some times.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:30 PM
Hammer99

After you trim the rudder in normal mode, I believe you need to reset the gyro so that HH comes up and sees the "new" trim setting and sets rudder neutral. If you just switch to HH and when the gyro was powered on had a different rudder neutral, that might explain the drift.

--Hammer
Old 06-22-2003, 11:54 PM
scott36
My Feedback: (54)

ya that could be it also,,try the triple on and off with the switch for h-h to
Old 06-24-2003, 12:02 PM
_BOON_

correct me if I am wrong but don't you have to trim the tail in HH mode first and then adjust normal mode. If the heli's tail moves in either direction while in non HH mode you have to adjust the servo control rod length accordinly not the trim (increase or decrease length) this may take a few adjustments.
Thats what it says in my manual anyway.
Although I don't have your gyro, but they should all be on the same design.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:52 PM
Paul_Barsamian
My Feedback: (5)

I have three 401/9253s, about the third one I learned the order/technique...

Install gyro and servo, try to get everything nice and straight/90 degrees etc just like the heli instructions say. Use sub trims and stuff to get the servo arm to the right spot.

Turn on all equip with gyro switch in HH mode, wait for red LED to stop blinking and turn solid. Adjust to starting gains of about 60 normal 60 HH (you may have to turn them down in some cases).

Switch gyro to Normal mode

Hover Heli, if it is wagging hard, turn down the gain in normal mode.

Adjust MECHANICAL linkage until heli rudder stays put in hover (within reason) basically trim the rudder.

Flip the switch for gyro mode back and forth 3 times and watch for the gyro led to blink a couple times and then go solid.

Now the gyro is set and you can fine tune gain for your flying taste.

Use endpoints on rudder channel on radio for piro rate, gain for holding power/release quickness.

Hope that helps.