Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

T-REX 450 new build

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 08:01 AM
T-nuleous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-REX 450 new build

Hi,
Building my first T-REX 450. How tight should the main gear hit the motor pinion?
First time I spooled it up got a lot of little plasic shavings. Any tips?

Thanks.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:34 AM
nick4622

Default RE: T-REX 450 new build

I set my gear almost all the way pressing up to the other gear. Some people say to set the gear with a piece of paper pressed in between at the tightest spot on the gears.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:51 PM
midntpumkin

i slide a piece of notebook paper folded in half inbetween the teeth of the spur and pinion, then tighten the motor to the mount , this gives a perfect fit . the spur should move just a hair before the teeth engage the motor , hope this helps, and you will still get some plastic shavings .
Old 08-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Beachcomber

Plastic shavings?? Coming off the main gear?? Wow that's not good. Sounds like your pinion to main gear is too tight. You want a tiny bit of play between the two, so if you try to gently turn the main gear back and forth, there is a very slight bit of movement before being stopped by the pinion. Too tight will put too much load on the motor, causing motor, ESC and battery to get hot, and short flight times.

I also use the piece of paper trick. Push the pinion against the main gear with a strip of paper between, then while holding, tighten the screws that hold your motor (recommend lock-tight). After removing the paper, you have a tiny gap ... perfect.