Community
Search
Notices
RC Humor Have an RC related joke or story? If it is RC humor you're looking for we have this forum to make you happy now.

Dremel Tools Beware

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 06:24 AM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dremel Tools Beware

Beware of Dremel tools. The spinning end is very dangerous with a saw blade on them. The good thng about it though they make nice clean cuts and are easy to stitch up. It only cost me 4 stitches and about an hour in the Dr's office....It only took 20 years of building to finally get hurt. I may have to give up this hobby now or buy me a safety suit..
Or I could just sue Dremel????

Old 12-11-2006, 06:51 AM
Rickles56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dremel Tools Beware

I think Dremel quit selling just the saw blades. They now sell a device with a safety cover on it. I still buy the raw blades from Ace Hardware that are made by another company. Yes, these can be very dangerous, I hate using it but sometimes it's the only tool that works. I make sure there is nothing in the path of the blade in case it binds up.

Sorry to hear about your stitches, it could have been worse probably. I used the lowest or one click higher than the lowest speed as well for safety. Reading stories like yours makes me want to be more careful as well!
Old 12-11-2006, 06:56 AM
heli_Rod

We do forget just how dangerous our hobby tools can be. It gives me the willies just thinking about it.[sm=52_52.gif]
I suppose I better start being more careful also...my Zona saw got me the other day!

Rod
Old 12-11-2006, 07:25 AM
Nickrc3
My Feedback: (6)

TY, coincidentially I was watching your 109 build DVD last night - excellent presentation and will be ordering the 190 from you shortly.

Sorry to hear about your injury and hope to see you back in the shop soon.

What exactly happened? Did the saw blade grab the work piece, then jump out into your hand, or the blade spun off the mandrel?

NICK
Old 12-11-2006, 07:46 AM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

These tools in the pictures will do a real nice job on fingers.
Before each cut, I think about 'is this safe?': I've often stopped and used another 'safer' tool to accomplish a task.
I always use plastic handles with rubber pads (sitting on table saw outfeed table) and a push stick.
The plastic with pads always keeps my hands off the wood plus they grab the wood whereas my hands can get dry and thus not easy to push the wood. The push stick is always used once the end of the wood is with 18" of the blade.
I always used these plastic with pads on the table saw, router table, band saw and joiner.
I don't understand why the wood working shows don't use them.
They virtually guarantee my hands are at a safe distance (of course we know nothing is 'idiot' proof!).
The table saw blade is always adjusted to only 1/8" higher than the piece of wood being cut.
If I'm tired, I don't use my power equipment.
It's also good to keep your shop clean.
Even with a cyclone dust collector to all stationary tools, the shop gets to be a mess real quickly.
These pictures show it a mess: after about a week of heavy cutting, I shut down and clean everything up.
Having a separate shop makes that easy: just open the doors and use the air gun to clean up the tools and then vacuum the floor and sweep the rest outside.
Of course, as Norm Abram always say, there's nothing more important than protecting your eyes.
I've often got my dremel out and stopped before cutting because I had my face in the same plane as the cut off disk.
Even with glasses on, I consider this dangerous and I move my face back away from the plane of the cut off disk.
Those things are brittle and easily shatter.
Always use ear protection too (unless you want an excuse for not hearing what the 'other half' is telling you!).
No music or TV on either while cutting: I want full concentration on my tools.
My neighbor cut off two of his fingers on a table saw.
When you see how that handy caps you, it makes you think safety, because you don't get a second chance!
(I'll get off the soap box now!).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67561.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	575240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61073.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	575241  
Old 12-11-2006, 10:02 AM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

Yes and I just read that someone lost a finger tip in an electric ducted fan. My pant leg got sucked into my ducted fan. Any thing that spins can be dangerous. Darwin takes care of those that don't take care.

Common sense rules, be careful.

Carl
Old 12-11-2006, 10:10 AM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!! I remember when I was building a GP Cap 21 years back ( I was about 13), I was using the dremel with a 1/8" drill bit to drill a hole for the tailwheel. STUPID me was holding the fuse just right, so my finger was about 1/2" behind the wood I was drilling, and drilled straight into my finger. Had a semi-deep hole in my finger, that hurt like heck, but didn't go to the doctor for it. The hole never bled much though since it was spinning so fast that it cauterized the hole... Still can see the round scar on my left middle finger. Been VERY cautious with these tools ever since.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:51 AM
Rickles56

I let my loose T-Shirt get too close to my cordless drill one day while drilling a hole, it caught my T-Shirt and even though I noticed right away by the time the drill spun down from drilling speed, it had better than 3/4's of my ripped apart T-shirt wound around the chuck. Luckily I was strong enough to keep the drill from pulling into my body. I was very lucky that day and since use extreme caution with even battery operated tools. Dremels are no different than any other power tools. Good topic here!
Old 12-12-2006, 02:57 PM
fockewulf37

Nick,
Hope you are doing well. I placed this on here after seeing all these other Beware threads> I did actually cut myself but it was in the middle of building the 190 for the Video.
I will hopefully have laser cut kits for the new wing before too much longer....

ty
Old 12-12-2006, 06:32 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

samparfitt, That '65 mustang looks dangerous. It would be safer in my garage.

David
Old 12-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: daveopam

David
From the view it is imposible to determine if that is a '65 mustang. It could easily be a '64 1/2 - '66. Thus I sudjest you give it to me for safe keeping and propper identification. I also have a couple '67's a '66 a '90 GT and a '97 Cobra Conv. to keep it company.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:30 AM
KingCobra2

I say that it is a 65 Mustang
ORIGINAL: daveopam

David
Old 02-02-2007, 02:49 AM
GabeBoudreau

ORIGINAL: fockewulf37

Beware of Dremel tools. The spinning end is very dangerous with a saw blade on them. The good thng about it though they make nice clean cuts and are easy to stitch up. It only cost me 4 stitches and about an hour in the Dr's office....It only took 20 years of building to finally get hurt. I may have to give up this hobby now or buy me a safety suit..

Why would you sue someone because your a tard? Just my opinion but a MAN is responsible for HIS actions...not a company thousands of miles away.

GB-UNIT, serving ya up some TRUTH
Old 02-02-2007, 03:07 AM
KingCobra2

I have been using Dremel tools for 15 years now w/o any accidents! BUT>> If i do hurt myself, that's my problem. We heal and we go on with our lives.Dremel is a miracle tool if I ever saw one. I am on my third and will keep on buying them after I wear them out. My favorite attachment is the 'pencil' type extension type attatchment. I have several other attachments like the table router attachment.,etc.Just hearing the Rev's that those Dremels turn out should make you fully aware of there capabilities!> Take care of your Dremel and it will take care of you., Scott<<>>P.S.>Always wear safety glasses around your Dremel!

Old 02-02-2007, 03:55 AM
GabeBoudreau

sorry if the truth hurts BTW. It hurts me at times too. $GB$
Old 02-02-2007, 08:14 AM
fockewulf37

Oh come on Ya'll. This was just a joke. Some posted a beware of x-atco knives. So i posted this. I have 5 dremel tools My self. I did get cut but it was a stupid moment.........

Ty
Old 02-02-2007, 06:11 PM
KingCobra2

WE were just having fun with ya

Oh come on Ya'll. This was just a joke. Some posted a beware of x-atco knives. So i posted this. I have 5 dremel tools My self. I did get cut but it was a stupid moment.........

Ty
Old 02-06-2007, 12:12 AM
prop planter

Be on the lookout tor r e giong to day or not??
Old 02-07-2007, 06:40 PM
KingCobra2

Hey Ty:

Please and anyone else, let us know what attachments you have for your Dremel!!!!!!!! I have a ROUTER attachment that mounts to a table w/ two screws( could be good for the leading edge of wings etc.),,,, I have a Depth control attachment(good for making the groove on foam wings to lay Fiber/Carbon tubing in), I have the PENCIL TIP attachment(which has about 4 feet of extention and acts like a spedometer cable does in a car) for more presission grounding and sanding/molding. I also have a straight edge attachment. If you can please include a pic of your attachments.After all, this IS a Dremel thread! I will take some pics of mine and post them soon. The Dremel is truly an RC'ers dream tool and a MUST HAVE!!!!!!! Thanx, Scott

Ty