Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Servo Driver for Gear Doors - Anybody make one?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Servo Driver for Gear Doors - Anybody make one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 08:20 AM
realdeal
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Driver for Gear Doors - Anybody make one?

If you wanted to do your gear doors by servo instead of air cylinder does anyone know of a device that will do the sequencing?

It would be ideal if you had a single channel input and 3 or 4 programmable outputs for time delay and speed.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:30 AM
csanlley

Default RE: Servo Driver for Gear Doors - Anybody make one?

"Jet-tronic door sequencer", you can either plug a servo to run an air valve or a servo to work directly to the door. it has 1 channel for the gear and 3 more for doors to make different sequences, you can always plug a y-harness if you need to run more than 3 doors.

[link]http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=765[/link]
Old 10-17-2010, 08:31 AM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have that unit in my L-39 for the gear and doors, works great............
Old 10-17-2010, 08:50 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to use a powerbox then have a look at the Powerbox Cockpit. This has a built-in sequencer.

http://www.powerbox-systems.com/e/po...kpit/start.php
Old 10-17-2010, 08:52 AM
trioval00

power box is a nice set up, but 5 times the price of the Jet-tronic door sequencer
Old 10-17-2010, 10:09 AM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The problem with the power box system, and using some advanced tx mixes to sequence gear doors, is that you cannot use a gear failsafe. After trying about every other possibilities, I now use one rx channel connected to Tam's failsafe connected to a Jettronic sequencer. 

The jettronic sequencer lets you adjust the exact throw for each servo so that should work to setup the direct gear door servos.

However, using a servo to drive a gear door directly will probably use too much current as you'll have to keep the door servos under load to have the door properly closed.

Arnaud

Old 10-17-2010, 10:16 AM
siclick33

Why can't you use the Tamjets failsafe with the Powerbox system? I can't see how it would be different to to the Jettronics sequencer.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:19 AM
trioval00

ORIGINAL: siclick33

Why can't you use the Tamjets failsafe with the Powerbox system? I can't see how it would be different to to the Jettronics sequencer.

isn't that just adding equipment to equipment to do what the jet tronic does in the first place at a cheap price?
Old 10-17-2010, 10:31 AM
siclick33

quote:

isn't that just adding equipment to equipment to do what the jet tronic does in the first place at a cheap price?
I don't think so. The Jet tronic sequencer, as far as I am aware, does not have a gear failsafe. So, for either system, if you wanted a failsafe you would have to add an extra component. If you are planning to use a Powerbox then why not get the Powerbox Cockpit and do away with the Jettronic sequencer completely? This means you actually need less equipment, not more.

I am not suggesting that this is necessarily the best solution for every person or, indeed, every model. It is, however, another option for realdeal to consider, especially if he was planning to use a Powerbox anyway.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:29 AM
acw

The powerbox would have one channel for the gear and one or more channels for the doors. If you insert Tam's failsafe on the gear, it won't control the doors: there is no way for Tam's failsafe to send a signal to the power box and ask it to lower the gear.

The same problem obviously exists when using several channels and tx mix.

In the setup I use, the failsafe is right after the rx and completely controls the sequencer.
Arnaud

Old 10-17-2010, 11:54 AM
siclick33

The powerbox would have one channel for the gear and one or more channels for the doors.
That isn't correct for the Powerbox cockpit. This has one gear input and multiple, individually programmable, sequenced outputs. You can put the gear failsafe between the rx and the Powerbox just as you would do with the Jet-tronic sequencer. The link I posted earlier has another link to the instruction manual and the sequence programming options look pretty impressive.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:05 PM
csanlley

I dont know you guys but sometimes adding an extra equipment to the model is like adding more possible failure points. I've removed the failsafe from a couple of models because I had a failure on the failsafe unit of one of the jets resulting on the gear cycling while taxing. I just prefer to spend a couple of more hours on the workshop ensuring that the pneumatic system is working properly and with no possible leaks, for me one way to test it is to leave the system charged overnight with the gear in and then with the gear out. In the field you also can tell if something is wrong with it just by filling the tanks after each flight, so in your next pre-flight the meters will tell you if anything is wrong.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:47 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: csanlley

I dont know you guys but sometimes adding an extra equipment to the model is like adding more possible failure points. I've removed the failsafe from a couple of models because I had a failure on the failsafe unit of one of the jets resulting on the gear cycling while taxing. I just prefer to spend a couple of more hours on the workshop ensuring that the pneumatic system is working properly and with no possible leaks, for me one way to test it is to leave the system charged overnight with the gear in and then with the gear out. In the field you also can tell if something is wrong with it just by filling the tanks after each flight, so in your next pre-flight the meters will tell you if anything is wrong.
You can do all the testing you want in the work shop but once the jet is rolling down the runway and your air system has developed a leak the failsafe will save the day. I won`t fly any jet without some type of gear failsafe and have never had one mess up in hundreds of flights. I have had my failsafe`s do their job (put the gear down) and save me from damage which allowed me to find the leak and continue flying.
V..
Old 10-17-2010, 05:25 PM
realdeal
My Feedback: (45)

The Jet-tronic system looks like what I'm after. That powerbox looks like a serious piece of equipment but I think it's overkill for this project. Thanks!
Old 10-17-2010, 05:35 PM
jetnuno

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi

I sure would prefer what happened to you, than what happened to me.... I had to belly land my F18F because a fill valve leaked all air during flight[:'(]

No way I fly again without a pneumatic fail safe device.

Also it is possible to make a sequencer in the radio, with a Pmix between 2 channels. The problem as stated before is that pneumatic fail safes are available only for one channel, so there is no way to do it that way for gear and doors. I also end up using a tam jets fail safe and a JT sequencer. Good to know about the cockpit features for this.

Regards

Nuno
Old 10-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 83 Likes on 72 Posts

Use your radio and setup proreat.gram mixes works great
Old 10-17-2010, 05:43 PM
acw

The powerbox would have one channel for the gear and one or more channels for the doors.
That isn't correct for the Powerbox cockpit. This has one gear input and multiple, individually programmable, sequenced outputs. You can put the gear failsafe between the rx and the Powerbox just as you would do with the Jet-tronic sequencer. The link I posted earlier has another link to the instruction manual and the sequence programming options look pretty impressive.
I get it. Thanks!
Old 10-17-2010, 05:52 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Really cheap one. I dont know if it's any good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-EMS-Gear-Doo...item4cf216ee13
Old 10-17-2010, 06:08 PM
marc s

These guys had some new equipment around at Jetpower, also a simple sequencer as well......

[link]http://www.alewings.it/schedauk.asp?idprod=186&sezione=4&categori=7[/link]

marcs
Old 10-17-2010, 06:44 PM
CGAV8R
My Feedback: (2)

Here ya go! http://www.oregonscaleaviation.com/R...MicroGear.html
Aaron D.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:17 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: acw

The problem with the power box system, and using some advanced tx mixes to sequence gear doors, is that you cannot use a gear failsafe. After trying about every other possibilities, I now use one rx channel connected to Tam's failsafe connected to a Jettronic sequencer.

The jettronic sequencer lets you adjust the exact throw for each servo so that should work to setup the direct gear door servos.

However, using a servo to drive a gear door directly will probably use too much current as you'll have to keep the door servos under load to have the door properly closed.

Arnaud

Not if you design the linkage to cam over.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:20 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Really cheap one. I dont know if it's any good.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCJE0&P=7

I have the same one, works fine on the bench, waiting to complete the model - John.