Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Airworld Cougar

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Airworld Cougar

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Airworld Cougar

After a run of Turnkey models for customers, I thought it might be time to do a little something for me.
I have had this Cougar for a while now. I picked it up from Schrodem half built about a year or so back. It sat in my workshop waiting for a paint slot for what seemed like ages. The good thing was this gave me quite a while to think of a paint scheme.
This is the second Cougar I have owned. The first is still going after what must be hundreds and hundreds of flights. My customer out in Kuwait is currently enjoying my Jolly rogers schemed version, which looking back at it is now over 6 years old!
Keeping with the Navy theme, and the fact that I dont like any of the original Cougar colours I decided that this time I might borrow a bit of inspiration from a F-14. I have always liked the Sundowners bright tail art and hoped it would look ok on the classic Cougar. Thanks to Ray Habgood and Ralle at Tailormade made markings the end result I was more than happy with.
Perfectly powered by a Jet Cat P160 SX. Power box Champion RRS feeding two Spektrum 12000 receivers and controlled by a JR 12X. Apart from a slight issue with the canopy cylinder leaking the model flew straight off the deck and felt perfectly settled right away. I had almost forgotten how wonderful a plane the Airworld Cougar is. It's still one of the best scale models out there in my opinion.
Regards Al.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:49 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Airworld Cougar

Great Looking Cat
Semper fi
joe
Old 11-15-2010, 12:00 PM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighhhh
Old 11-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Ali

Cheers Joe. We could do with your camera skills here to make it come to life.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Ali

Old 11-15-2010, 12:47 PM
ByLoudDesign

EXCELLENT!!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 01:08 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Must be a late model Cougar used as a target drone - because there's no pilot!

Bob
Old 11-15-2010, 01:16 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

Very nice!
Old 11-15-2010, 01:28 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

Must be a late model Cougar used as a target drone - because there's no pilot!

Bob
Yo Bob
As you know, there is NO ONE who makes a PILOT in 1/5 scale at a reasonable price . The Blue box pilot looks like a dwarf & the 1/4 size looks like "Baby Huey" with his head out of the canopy.

Ali
I like the canopy open on take off,(Old school Naval Aviation,it case you went into the drink []) Does it close when the gear retracts ?
Semper Fi
Joe
Old 11-15-2010, 03:41 PM
butler-campers

This one (just like all your other planes) looks beautiful.

I lik the way that you always want somthing diferent as original.

Best regards Maikel (chef BBQ)

Old 11-15-2010, 03:43 PM
Ali

Thanks super chef! Coming from the guy who does the only weather red arrow tomahawk big hawk that is saying something!
Old 11-15-2010, 06:46 PM
jet time
My Feedback: (75)

Ali, that "head on" shot makes it look alive!! Great job my friend. Always love the Cougar.
Looks great in the air too!

Lowell
Old 11-15-2010, 07:43 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, what a perfect job.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:15 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Beautiful!
Scott
Old 11-15-2010, 09:18 PM
BOB MOORE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great picture, the only thing wrong is the Sundowners VF 111 F9F-8 were painted Gloss Sea Blue with some red trim on them. I was an Airframe Mechanic with VF11 in 1954
Old 11-15-2010, 10:57 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: uncljoe

Yo Bob
As you know, there is NO ONE who makes a PILOT in 1/5 scale at a reasonable price . The Blue box pilot looks like a dwarf & the 1/4 size looks like ''Baby Huey'' with his head out of the canopy.

Ali
I like the canopy open on take off,(Old school Naval Aviation,it case you went into the drink []) Does it close when the gear retracts ?
Semper Fi
Joe
Actually, I did not know that. I'll bet though that Ali's definition of "reasonable price" is different than mine!

Bob
Old 11-16-2010, 03:36 AM
ron Sweeney

Hi Al, nice to see you back with a Cougar. I am currently 6 months in to my second 1:55 Peter Nye 2 seater TF9J.
One thing has always puzzled me with the airworld version. They go to a lot of trouble with detail but never tried to use spoilers for roll control. Are you still using the wing flaps for ailerons? My first cougar, being semi scratch built, used the main wing flaps as proper flaps and I used the remaining part of the surface as a small aileron. It worked well but the roll was very soft. I have set the main wing flaps up as flaperons on my current version. Have you ever tried this ? Ron.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:10 AM
Didier

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Wow Ali, looks sooooo great!
The Airworld Cougar is really one of my old time favorite.
I can remember you flew the Cougar at Pampa a few years ago.
I will never forget how slow you flew this model a few feet of the deck!
In case you will make this a "turnkey" model, let me know.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:19 AM
Koenieboy

ORIGINAL: Ali

Thanks super chef! Coming from the guy who does the only weather red arrow tomahawk big hawk that is saying something!
And the owner of a nicely made pink Barbie jet .
Old 11-16-2010, 05:24 AM
Ali

Of course, I nearly forgot the Barbie Jet... How silly of me.
Didier... You know my business model is that any of the models are for sale at anytime!
Yes the first cougar was a bit of a legend. I think the only jet that I ever flew more times than that was my original Avonds F-15... I really should count the flights.
Ron.
The Airworld set up of using the wing flaps as ailerons works so well, I have never thought to change it. I have only ever flown a few models with spoilers for roll control and didnt like any of them. Also the inner flaps are so effective on this model that I really cant see the need for any more flap area, even for the tightest of landing approaches.
I am just trying to decide now if I want to put the underwing ordinance on it and make it look more complicated???
Regards Al
Old 11-16-2010, 12:50 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

ORIGINAL: Ali

I thought it might be time to do a little something for me.
[

Heck a little somthing for you.................. You have more toys than ToysRus and are an international model Jet Pilot playboy....................... or so they tell me

Dennis

Old 11-16-2010, 03:23 PM
cmjets

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Hello:

Pretty paint for a pretty model.

Congrats !!!

Best Regards from Spain.

Carlos.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:06 PM
Ali

After what seems like a long time. I managed to find some time to finish of this Cougar and get some more flight tests on it this past weekend. From the offset, I wanted to do something a little different to my previous Cougar, and all the other Cougars that I have seen on my travels.
The best person in this hobby to help with that is Dan at Details for scale. He is without a doubt the best in this business for making custom made parts that make these scale jets come to life and shine. Just be prepared for a long wait ( I forget how long this Cougar ordinance took, but it was worth it in the end)
Dan built a custom set of pylons ( 6 off) Drop tanks, and sidewinders. Which when hanging off the Cougar wing transforms the complete look of the jet in my eyes. In the air it looks loads more menacing and complex. Flying wise.. It sure has added allot more drag. So far I have only flown this model will all the stores on, but I might try some flights with the drop tanks off ( Easy to do as they are on BVM Easy drops) As I know back in the day, when I used to fly a Tam's F-18. It was the drop tanks that made the most difference to the way the model performed.
Right now, with all the ordinance fitted, I find that I am now regularly in the 3/4 power range with a P-160. Whereas before I was mainly around half. It's still well over powered for scale flight with the P-160. Huge loops from level are possible, and I never find myself lacking. Its just takes some getting used to flying a jet that I am used to at a higher throttle setting, yet still going slower. I do quite like the automatic speed retention. Its an easy way to make sure you dont overspeed the model, and makes it much easier to present the model at the "right" speed.
Thanks must go to Paul Metcalf for fitting the ordinance and wing strakes. Ray Habgood, as always for his legendary painting skills ( And trusting me on the sharks mouths on the drop tanks) Ralle from Tailormade in Germany ( Who supplies all the markings for my models, and is the MAN when it comes to anything related to paints, and markings) and MAF from MAF Cavalry who supplies all my pilots!
Now all I need is a pair of working Snake eye bombs to go on the inner pylons [>:]
Regards Al

Old 04-25-2011, 11:50 PM
Ali

Old 04-26-2011, 12:05 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

Very nice indeed Ali................. Might we see this one at Rougham this year

Regards

Dennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.