Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Go Pro camera + spectrum 2.4= failsafe.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Go Pro camera + spectrum 2.4= failsafe.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 11:06 AM
c_makhija

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Go Pro camera + spectrum 2.4= failsafe.

Hi Guys,

just back home from a jet meet in central India where i witnessed a kangaroo crash which went into fail safe shortly after takeoff. This model had over 180 flights and was converted to 2.4 about a year and a half ago with around 80 flights on 2.4 ghz. The owner was using 2 1200 mah A123s connected directly into the 9 ch JR Rx. This Roo had logged around 6 flights on this particular field in the last 2 days and was the 2nd flight of the day, but its first ever flight with the GO PRO camera mounted.
Is there any remote possibility of the camera interfering with the 2.4 signal. We have mounted this camera on other jets with great success.

Thanks for any help.

Chatty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0FfzFJ-XW0

Old 01-23-2011, 11:15 AM
gruntled

Default RE: Go Pro camera + spectrum 2.4= failsafe.

Seems pretty unlikely. I assume the camera was not pulling power from the receiver? I don't see how the camera could shadow the receiver and all satellites.

The GoPro does not have any kind of built in wifi does it? He wasn't using one of those new SD cards with built in wifi was he?

Wifi and 2.4 would be a no-no.

How certain is he the A123s were charged? How long was he in the air before that second takeoff? Was he using some kind of redundancy system that blocks a battery if it develops a bad cell?
Old 01-23-2011, 11:45 AM
c_makhija

The camera was not connected to the Rx system in any way.

This guy is pretty meticulous about his battery maintenance, 2 1200Mah A123s were plugged directly into the Rx so i guess if one pack shorted it could drain the other pack down.
Unfortunately all burned down so we will never know what really failed.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:08 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I do event coverage for RCU and have done a lot of work with these types of cameras. I've also worked alongside the staff of SKS Video who uses them as well. We've mounted these cameras on many different types of RC vehicles ranging from small foamies to helicopters to sport planes to jets. There is no chance at all that this camera interfered with the 2.4 Ghz radio you were using. The only way the camera could have contributed to the crash was if it conflicted with the controls or caused aerodynamic problems with the plane, but this is pretty unlikely to have happened. The cameras put out no RF signals or noise that could have conflicted with your radio. I'm 99.99% sure you can rule out the camera as the cause of the crash.

Ken
Old 01-23-2011, 01:16 PM
1320Fastback

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Extremely unlikely the camera had anything to do with this crash.
Myself and hundreds of others use this camera with 2.4 and not once have I herd of a interference problem.
Heck I even use mine with Fm and Am radios too.
Looks like a classic (sic) lockout!

Old 01-23-2011, 01:29 PM
gruntled

I reject the notion that there is such a thing as "classic lockout".
Old 01-23-2011, 02:00 PM
SinCityJets

I have personally flown the Go Pro HD and non-HD on everything from a 40% GS, to a Parkzone T-28 Foamy, to a Comp-Arf Flash, to a Skymaster MB-339, all with JR Spektrum receivers in varying channels (6, 7, 9, and 12). Never a single problem....unless the camera caused the 339 to run out of fuel at Fresno jets!

Chad
Old 01-23-2011, 04:49 PM
SAP_2000

I doubt the camera has anything to do with it.
I have flown with the GoPro HD on board feveral times and have not noticed any increase in fades with the flight logger.
I fly with a 12x and 1221 RX.

Here is a video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEM05WGeTs8[/youtube]
Old 01-23-2011, 05:39 PM
cavandish

lets say that the batterys were 50% discharged (unlikely given 1 previous flight, but possible) and one failed for whatever reason, that would leave 600mah to play with, this can hardly be considered as redundantcy in my opinion, just imagine 'loading up' 2 or 3 servos with 600mah on tap-I think 'Mr lockout' would rear his ugly head ! 2X 1200mah is cutting it too fine.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Molnar142
My Feedback: (38)

I would be more concerned about the smartphone in your pocket then the GoPro camera.

Mike
Old 01-23-2011, 10:00 PM
Ragz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

this incident was good enough to stop the flying on the field for the day though... I use Fasst... and I have suddenly started thinking about sticking out the antenna wires from all my jet fuselages... will look shabby but I guess why take a chance?
Old 01-24-2011, 12:39 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless your fuselage is made from carbon I am not sure sticking the aerials outside will make much difference. The question is after all this time why did it crash now?
A sudden catastrophic failure of some sort seems to be a given, but was it precipitated by some recent change to the model, some inadequate maintenence, or has something just worn out?
The power supply may not be the cause, but I would not fly with only that as a power supply. Firstly I agree that 1200 mah is an inadequate battery for jets, and secondly because without some islation system there was no real redundancy. So a single connector, switch or cell failure could cause not only the primary but also the second battery to fail.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:54 AM
Nhalyn

Totally agree with JohnMac : this is not a redundancy installation as the failure of one battery cannot be corrected by the second one as she come out to be drained to zero volts by the first brockenone.

Redundancy is two independant (isolated)battery system installated in your plane.

The causes of the crashhave better chances to be found by this side.

To Ragz : why put out your antenna if it work ? Active part of tose antenna are pretty fragile. I prefer to let them in the fuselage (but well oriented)until this one is made with non 2.4Ghz friendly materials, such as massivecarbon clothing or massive metallics parts aroud the receiver. That's work on all my fasst models (even with smallelectrics racers, F3J gliders, etc...)
Old 01-24-2011, 02:21 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Genuine A123's are only made in 1100Mah and 2300Mah are you sure he had A123's and not copies of some sort, also I did read the first post and he had two what he says are 1200Mah batteries therefore he had 2400Mah on board, the likelyhood of a battery failier with genuine A123's is very remote, I know of no known failiers of genuine A123's without some kind of abuse being involved.

Mike
Old 01-24-2011, 03:25 AM
Ragz

The airplane in question is the new c-arf Ultra Flash. According to the build manual, they have specified a plane for the reciever. This place has a carbon around it... I have had three flights on it but now I am wondering if this was a good idea.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:42 AM
SAP_2000

New on-board video from this weekend with GoPro HD and JR 12x/ 1221 RX.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf1uzgXA9XU[/youtube]
Old 01-24-2011, 03:56 AM
Ragz

As a side note, i am impressed with the outer casing of the gopro... it kept the camera safe enough even in this fire that we were able to retrieve the SD card and watch the video.. I will post pics of the camera itself... it looks like roast meat...
Old 01-24-2011, 04:54 AM
Robrow

I'm not sure if it's significant but there does seem to be some wind down of the turbine speed as the Roo slowly rolls to the left....was that by command? What was the failsafe position for the throttle?

Rob.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:58 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I just watched the video. It seems as if you have some evidence there - it sounded to me that the turbine went to idle and was actually still running after impact. If the RX lost power, the turbine should have shut down immediately - at least on most of the turbines I'm familiar with...

Bob
Old 01-24-2011, 07:42 AM
c_makhija

All my jets have some or the other powerbox product for redundancy. The roo that crashed was my friends, and just for my knowledge when using 2 batteries directly into the Rx and if one battery fails will it always drain out the second battery.

ORIGINAL: Nhalyn

Totally agree with JohnMac : this is not a redundancy installation as the failure of one battery cannot be corrected by the second one as she come out to be drained to zero volts by the first brockenone.

Redundancy is two independant (isolated)battery system installated in your plane.

The causes of the crashhave better chances to be found by this side.

To Ragz : why put out your antenna if it work ? Active part of tose antenna are pretty fragile. I prefer to let them in the fuselage (but well oriented)until this one is made with non 2.4Ghz friendly materials, such as massivecarbon clothing or massive metallics parts aroud the receiver. That's work on all my fasst models (even with smallelectrics racers, F3J gliders, etc...)
Old 01-24-2011, 07:47 AM
c_makhija

Yes, i have to agree these were not the original A123 packs. But the owner is very careful about battery condition and how much capacity goes into the battery on every charge.
ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Genuine A123's are only made in 1100Mah and 2300Mah are you sure he had A123's and not copies of some sort, also I did read the first post and he had two what he says are 1200Mah batteries therefore he had 2400Mah on board, the likelyhood of a battery failier with genuine A123's is very remote, I know of no known failiers of genuine A123's without some kind of abuse being involved.

Mike
Old 01-24-2011, 08:28 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: c_makhija

Yes, i have to agree these were not the original A123 packs. But the owner is very careful about battery condition and how much capacity goes into the battery on every charge.
Again, if you listen to the video, I do not think that the RX batteries died because the turbine keeps running. It sounded to me like the airplane when into failsafe and the owner had not set the failsafe on the engine to shut it down - only to bring it to idle. Am I missing something here?

Bob
Old 01-24-2011, 09:40 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

ORIGINAL: c_makhija

Again, if you listen to the video, I do not think that the RX batteries died because the turbine keeps running. It sounded to me like the airplane when into failsafe and the owner had not set the failsafe on the engine to shut it down - only to bring it to idle. Am I missing something here?

Bob

True

Using two Receivers and two batteries is not a bad idea either. It works for me. One day while flying I notice on a high speed pass i have no engine so i call dead stick to turn final when suddenly the engine spool back up and down. I manage to land and found one of the two receiver had a faulty switch. If this was a single system we would have lost the jet.

If I could get away with using two Tx module i would
Old 01-24-2011, 11:17 AM
shaunrbell
My Feedback: (4)

I was just sizing up how to mount my Go ProHD on my jet and saw this post lol! I'm sure it will be fine and the camera doesn't emit any RF. Can't wait to see the footage. Too bad the camera wasn't a little more streamlined though.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Robrow

Hey Stalle do you have any pics of your external camera install?

Rob.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.