Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Time For Your Input!

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Time For Your Input!

Old 02-01-2011, 08:35 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time For Your Input!

We are in the process of developing several new, innovative items for the jet market. Dont want to spill the beans just yet as to what we are working on however; I would like to hear YOUR desires! What do you feel is missing in the Jet Model accessory market? If we where to produce any product you wish, what would it be?
Give me YOUR ideas! If we decide to produce it, I will send you one for free!

Todd
Dreamworks Model Products
Old 02-01-2011, 08:48 AM
RAPPTOR
My Feedback: (41)

Default RE: Time For Your Input!

Old 02-01-2011, 09:00 AM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: RAPPTOR

Jet kits.builder kits.. like bvm used to make .Not totaly arf. Cheaper gear and struts. Small F-18 .like 15-18 lbs thrust range. Same size F-22...No more boom jets
I believe Todd is talking about accessories...not kits or arfs.
but I give you a 9 for not using all caps and attempting some form of punctuation[sm=wink_smile.gif]

Todd, how 'bout a generator that uses exhaust gas to constantly top off onboard battteries?
Dumb, I know...but had to close my post with some sort of suggestion
Old 02-01-2011, 09:02 AM
lov2flyrc

ORIGINAL: RAPPTOR

Jet kits.builder kits.. like bvm used to make .Not totaly arf. Cheaper gear and struts. Small F-18 .like 15-18 lbs thrust range. Same size F-22...No more boom jets
We tend toshy away from the "Kit / ARF" segment. I did airframe sales for several years and found them to be a difficult and trying product line. Dreamworks now tends to focus on everything but the Airframe.... We do hear the rest of your suggestions however.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:09 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Todd how about a direct mechanism steering nose retract unit? I've asked about this for a while!

Raf
Old 02-01-2011, 09:21 AM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

ORIGINAL: ravill

Todd how about a direct mechanism steering nose retract unit? I've asked about this for a while!

Raf
MAP has one - posted some pictures in the Torus build thread. I like it so much I am probably going to convert my Flash over as well.

MAP supplied me with Pro-links from Dreamworks when I ordered the retracts so I don't see why they couldn't work together to supply the retracts thru Dreamworks.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77716.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	483.1 KB
ID:	1556837  
Old 02-01-2011, 09:22 AM
derrickxp8103
My Feedback: (80)

Todd,

How about Electric or Hydraulic brakes.......would like to get rid of the air pump.

Electric actuated retracts.....I know there are some out there....but some heavy duty ones.

And YES....direct mechanism steering nose retract unit.

Derrick
Old 02-01-2011, 09:24 AM
PaulD

How about a battery switch/redundancy system specifically for the A123 cells.

I have been running the A123's in pairs with 2 JR heavy duty switches. It would be nice to have a single swtich unit that provided some fail-safe and battery sharing capabilites with no regulator.

PaulD
Old 02-01-2011, 09:31 AM
rhklenke

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

There are two things I don't like about that one shown. First, there doesn't appear to be anything that keeps the nose gear straight when it dis-engages from the steering arm - that's always a pain to do if it not designed into the gear from the start (maybe it is and we can't see it...). Second, if you are on the rudder with you actuate the gear down, it will miss the steering mechanism and bad things happen (happens on a Kingcat gear, which is similar, and the result is not good...)

I'd prefer a mount for a mini-sized steering servo right on the nose strut.

Bob
Old 02-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Rider-60
My Feedback: (17)

*A turbine/pipe alignment tool, I usually use some lite ply rings to do that but feel like there could be some improvement there.

*Universal hydraulic retract kit

and 10% on the sales rather than a free one

cheers
Florent
Old 02-01-2011, 10:36 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Better airline T connector with safety latch.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:59 AM
sskianpour
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. How about an "EZ Hinge" or "EZ Cylinder"? Basically somne ingenious simple jig or device nobody has thought of yet that allows you to pinpoint exactly where your cylinders/hinges need to be placed so that doors close perfectly and nice and tight without putting too much pressure on hinge/cylinder and popping them off?

2. While the electric retracts and brakes are being produced, how about An air leak detector, or non-toxic colored gas that shoots out the air leak and lets you see exactly where it is.

Or MRI machine you can put your retracts and cylinders in that show the leaky spot . Basically, some way to pinpoint leaks exactly without 20 hemostats and a tons of silence so you can listen for where the air is escaping. On that note, an air leak repair kit.

3. Oh and the guys are spot on, a "Universal" direct steering mechanism that has a variety of brackets that let it "bolt on" or "tap in" to most common and mainstream struts would be AWESOME!

Shaz
Old 02-01-2011, 11:26 AM
jetflyr

ORIGINAL: sskianpour

3. Oh and the guys are spot on, a ''Universal'' direct steering mechanism that has a variety of brackets that let it ''bolt on'' or ''tap in'' to most common and mainstream struts would be AWESOME!

Shaz
+1

Greg
Old 02-01-2011, 11:50 AM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Old 02-01-2011, 11:57 AM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

How about some very simple caps like this for our quick connectors and a little plastic box to put tjem in to keep the matter off and out of them. I know they can be injection molded faster and cheaper than me stepping them off in my mill. I also put a little dab of your lube in them so when they come off and on it auto lubes the rings. I'm working on the female caps but will be awhile. Roy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99719.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	1556893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57207.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	1556894  
Old 02-01-2011, 12:11 PM
siclick33

Cheap(ish) wooden mount for holding a UAT at the correct angle.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:25 PM
PaulD

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

There are two things I don't like about that one shown. First, there doesn't appear to be anything that keeps the nose gear straight when it dis-engages from the steering arm - that's always a pain to do if it not designed into the gear from the start (maybe it is and we can't see it...). Second, if you are on the rudder with you actuate the gear down, it will miss the steering mechanism and bad things happen (happens on a Kingcat gear, which is similar, and the result is not good...)

I'd prefer a mount for a mini-sized steering servo right on the nose strut.

Bob
Sorry, should have mentioned there is a ball detent to keep it straight. A wire gear will bind as well if you are holding rudder in and hit the down switch. They all will to some degree.

I do like the direct servo mount units but in a lot of applications there just isn't the room.

PaulD
Old 02-01-2011, 02:29 PM
fast jets
My Feedback: (2)

I'd prefer a mount for a mini-sized steering servo right on the nose strut

Yes it does you just can't see it. We tested it for two years now, not one single problem with it after a many hundreds of flights. You only need to stay of the rudder stick for a few secounds when it is retracting. I turn my steering servo of with gear in the up postion however I had one full season on it before I did that. I have sold a bunch of them and not one complant yet.

I have one with the servo mounted to the strut, problem is that most ARFs don't have room for it. I also made prototypes of a nose wheel retract that has the mounting lugs further back and servo comes up on the side of the retract frame. This works much better with models that have full cockpits. But again it will not fit in most ARFs.

John
Old 02-01-2011, 02:31 PM
PaulD

Gear door hinges that are moulded but of a better material that's not so brittle and with a decent length arm on it so the air cylinder can close the bigger doors?

An combined airline/electrical connector - one plug for the whole wing.

PaulD
Old 02-01-2011, 02:32 PM
MSSA

Todd,

Here are some ideas to consider:

1 - Cheaper alternative of Hysol adhesive
2 - Larger cockpit and cover spring latches
3 - Elecric motor actuated retracts for wheels and smaller ones for doors with separate power supply. Then get rid of all equencers, tanks tubes and valves and rams.
4 - Built-in hopper tank inside the main fuel tank.
5 - Front strut with built in steering (retract-type) motor.

Email me for more details.

Mssa
Old 02-01-2011, 03:25 PM
AndyAndrews

Here would be my suggestions, not in order of preference:

Flame/heat Resistant servo leads or Nomex tubes we can run reg servo wires through. If it came in
a spool and we could cut it to length ourselves that would be better (sized for reg JR type leads)

A good gyro system with pitot tube for jets similar to this but priced better:
http://www.lf-technik.de/shop/produc...-Wing-Jet.html

Blank dry transfer sets that we can print our own graphics utilizing an inkjet printer.

Pre-wired multiplex connectors (male and female) pigtales for batteries

Better UAT for a decent price.

Onboard parachute recovery system for Jets.. compact and deployable at will for various size Jets.

Faster curing Hysol type glue (5 min?)

Automatic safety wire applier, twister, cutter and crimper all in one step (lol dreaming?)

quick connect and discounnect fuel filters (the ones we have now have to twist the fuel line to take appart)

Color coded servo wires (similar to different color air lines) for easily identifying.

Velcro with better adheasive that is fuel proof

Old 02-01-2011, 09:32 PM
acw

Todd here is my list:

- tool to easily align a turbine related to its pipe.
- high quality connectors for several servos. (ex: wing) Connector should have a safety so it can't get loose. Connector should have large number of pins to allow for redundancy and support up to 10A per servo
- more wing bags supporting various wing / stab shapes

Arnaud
Old 02-01-2011, 10:37 PM
STKNRUD

Todd,

A good tubular alum field work stand that can be adjusted to hold both single fin and twin boom jets. Doesn't need wheels but can be broken down easily to stoy flat for transport and isn't made of PVC.

George
Old 02-02-2011, 05:03 AM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Agree with George on the field work stand. I have one that I got from Harbor Freight. It works but I sure wouldn't call it good and would certainly pay more for a "GOOD ONE".
Old 02-02-2011, 08:07 AM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: acw

Todd here is my list:

- tool to easily align a turbine related to its pipe.
- high quality connectors for several servos. (ex: wing) Connector should have a safety so it can't get loose. Connector should have large number of pins to allow for redundancy and support up to 10A per servo
- more wing bags supporting various wing / stab shapes

Arnaud
Ditto on the Pipe turbine alignment tool. Make it out of aluminum and adjustible to work with any turbine and pipe. That would be nice to have in the toolbox!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.