Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Looking To Upgrade Tx....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Looking To Upgrade Tx....

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking To Upgrade Tx....

Hi,

It's time to upgrade my 10X transmitter. I've only just switched to 2.4, and even more recently began to feel comfortable with it. To be honest, I'm a little gun-shy with all of the changes, updates and 'perceived' obsolescence that seems to happen 20 seconds after you buy your expensive gear.

I'm looking at both the JR and Futaba 12-channel systems. I'm wondering if any of you guys who've had both can tell me your thoughts on a features comparison. I'm not so much interested in the "FASST v DSMI, DSMII, DSMX, DSMRedux, etc." discussion as I am in the programming features for jets and warbird pilots.

Thanks in advance for your input, and for not doing the brand-war thing
Old 02-16-2011, 10:29 AM
gadix
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Looking To Upgrade Tx....

OMG
you have just startet a war....

go JR GO!

Old 02-16-2011, 10:40 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a Futaba 12Z. All the functionality of the 14Mz (including 14 channels, 12 proportional and 2 digital) but not all the bells and whistles, Color touchscreen, MP3 player etc.

I wouldn't own anything else at this point.

Bob

Old 02-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Shaun Evans

Meesh,

Thanks. What's the difference between the Z and the F? It's hard to sift through the verbiage sometimes on their site. Do you know the 12X? Is there any important feature one has that the other doesn't?
Old 02-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Got a 12 FG (almos 100% functionality of 12Z/14MZ). coupled with the Weatronic programability I think I can do anything...
Old 02-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Meesh

The 12Z has two processors, the FG has one. The 12Z has a Lithium battery. I believe the 12FG is NiMh. The 12Z comes with an aluminum hardcase

I think the only feature missing from the 12X is the model match.

The trade off is Ok considering you have 2 extra channels to use on the 12Z
Old 02-16-2011, 11:10 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll still adhere to my trustable 10X with 2.4 mod.
Has not failed me yet( I think).
BUT, I'm liking the new Spektrum 10.

ENT
Old 02-16-2011, 11:53 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned the 14MZ, 12FG, 10X, and now the 12X. If you're familiar with JR's programming, the 12X will be the easiest transition. Futaba menu structure is less intuitive for many common features, such as splitting dual rates and ATV into two separate menu groupings so you can not access either from the same menu... meaning if you were adjusting your d/r and wanted to increase travel through ATV (travel), you would have to go up two levels and down one. Also on JR radios, to increase D/R or travel, you press the stick in the direction you want to increase and then increment through the radio. With Futaba you have to use up/down, left/right arrows to change input. It's not terrible, but my preference for programming is with JR.

I like that the Futaba radios allow for complete control over switches and channel assignment. Of the radios I've owned, the 14MZ was the best, followed by the 12X. IMO, the user interface on the 12FG and 12Z was a bit cumbersome since Futaba adapted a touch screen UI for a non touch screen radio.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:37 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

100's of flights on the JR 12X 2.4 with no issue.

AND YOU ALL KNOW WHEN YOU FLY JR YOU FEEL THE DIFFERENCE!!!! Simply the BEST!!!!!!!!![8D][X(]
Old 02-16-2011, 03:51 PM
FILE IFR

I have 24 years owning Futaba equipment and I'm on my 3rd year now with the 14MZ 2.4, I have had no problems with programming it (and zero problems with it's link to the airplanes/ helis) I can't understand why some folks think it's hard to do so... If I can do it, then it's gotta be easy

Here's one thought for your comparison, I've been told by a JR 10X user that my radio is heavy...I'm also told they're weighty because it's packed with extra reliability and confidence j/k , seriously, you may want to compare the weights of the 12FG and 12X in the tech info.

If you know JR's programming, go with it.

AFTERBURNER1
AND YOU ALL KNOW WHEN YOU FLY JR YOU FEEL THE DIFFERENCE!!!! Simply the BEST!!!!!!!!!
I dunno, Futaba is always imitated, but never duplicated.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:21 PM
jetflyr

One other aspect of the Futaba 12Z is the gimbals are the same as the 14.

For me, the feel in my hands is THE most important part. If you like a big, heavy transmitter, the JR or Futaba 14 are for you. If you like a thinner, lighter feel, the 12Z is FANASTIC.

Hold them, and envision it in your hands hour after hour, and where the switches "fit" your holding style and reach. If it isn't comfortable, it's a waste of money.

Greg
Old 02-16-2011, 07:47 PM
Molar mender

The 12Z has a slightly larger display screen over the 12FG.

Roy
Old 02-16-2011, 08:11 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: dubd

I've owned the 14MZ, 12FG, 10X, and now the 12X. If you're familiar with JR's programming, the 12X will be the easiest transition. Futaba menu structure is less intuitive for many common features, such as splitting dual rates and ATV into two separate menu groupings so you can not access either from the same menu... meaning if you were adjusting your d/r and wanted to increase travel through ATV (travel), you would have to go up two levels and down one. Also on JR radios, to increase D/R or travel, you press the stick in the direction you want to increase and then increment through the radio. With Futaba you have to use up/down, left/right arrows to change input. It's not terrible, but my preference for programming is with JR.

I like that the Futaba radios allow for complete control over switches and channel assignment. Of the radios I've owned, the 14MZ was the best, followed by the 12X. IMO, the user interface on the 12FG and 12Z was a bit cumbersome since Futaba adapted a touch screen UI for a non touch screen radio.

Dantley,

In Futaba Logic, you use the SETUP menu only to setup the airplane. Subtrims, reverse, atv, functions. The other menu with the afr, dual rates, and mixes is more geared to changes after the intial setup is done. You set the ATV for Max travel, and to match linked servos, then after they are matched you use AFR to set your high rate.

That is why ATV is in a different menu.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:35 PM
crhammond
My Feedback: (21)

I agree with this post and have had Multiplex Royal, 9303, 12z and 14mz. I have programmed the 12X for other guys at the field too. I am a software engineer by profession which helps I guess. The 12Z was stolen and I got a 14MZ as a replacement when the insurance settled. I wish I had had the 14mz from day-1.

The 14mz makes programing/navigating a lot easier than the 12z / 12fg. The extra screen real-estate is great.
It is heavy and sucks batteries like mad but I use a tray and got a few spare batteries. Since I use a tray all radios have a similar feel to me.
The current 14mz's have a MUCH improved touch screen that is super responsive vs. the old one.

What I like most with the 14mz is the almost complete flexibility.

Examples:

For IMACI have some complex conditions whichavoid using switches for snaps and spins. For example I have conditions that work like this:
For throttle gimbal from 25% - 75% if I move the elevator gimbal down (fullup)and rudder gimbal toeither sideand aileron to full deflection either side it changesthe rates on all 3 surfaces to give me a nice "on-throttle snap" (more aileron, a little less rudder, a little more elevator for example)
Full down gives a different set of rates fornegative snaps
Throttle from 75% - 100% gives me a different rates for vertical up line snaps
etc...
It compensates for me sucking at flipping switches

For jets and scale birds I have no need for a gear sequencer. I can set up gear and door sequences complete with time delays.

For deployment of flaps on one jet I have a mix that lowers the flaps slowly, at 50% flap it slowly adds down elevator, has a time delay after full flap and then takes out some of the down elevator to control the ballooning. This particular mix allows me to put in full flap even if I’m going a bit fast and have a nice smooth balloon fee slow down.

You can assign switches as you desire. I also like the way you can set up mixes based on absolute stick positions vs. channels so that a change in travel end points does not affect mix travels. This is very applicable for Pattern.

The programming is very different from JR as nothing is really pre-determined or set in stone. There are 2 or 3 waysto do most things. I have used the 12x and it is very easy to program and has a lot of features. But the 14mz is certainly more flexible if you have the need.<o></o>

ORIGINAL: dubd

Old 02-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Great info, guys. In my case, the 14 is WAY too rich for my blood, so I'm looking at the 12 channel systems only. How does the 12FG compare to the 12X?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:35 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

I went through the same thing last summer. I have 2 10x’s and everything I was flying had Spektrum 2.4 in it. I wanted at least 12 channels and started reading about both the 12X and the 12Z. A friend of mine had a 12Z and let me look at it and the programming worked. I bought a 12Z and love it. I really like the way the 12Z programs. I still have my 10X’s and use them for all my planes other than the jets. Get your hands on a 12Z and look it over well. The 12Z has two processors the 12Z will do everything that the 14Z will do, the 14Z eats batteries. I never had a problem with any of my JR stuff and still fly it in all my prop planes that I need 9 channels or less. I hate the JR vs. Futba war, they are both good systems but I do think that JR makes better servos. George
Old 02-17-2011, 09:52 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

I have been flying the 12FGA for two years. It is an easy radio to use. It has a full 14 channels. The case is plastic not metal like the 12Z, but it is well done.
I have flown turbine, gassers and large edf models and never a glitch
If you want a metal case then go 12Z if you want to save a substantial amount of cash go 12FGA.

Have you been to the Futaba website to look at the features of each.

http://2.4gigahertz.com/systems/futk9300.html

http://2.4gigahertz.com/systems/futk9200.html

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52268.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1565470   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43671.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1565471  
Old 02-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Anyone had any problems using JR digital servos in the Futaba system? Also, where are you guys finding this info?? I've been on Tower's site and I didn't see anything about the 12FG having 14 channels??
Old 02-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Both radios had the software updated to allow all 14 channels to be used in the RX, They are on/OFF but they are there.
You go into the function menu and activate them, they are called Digi 1 and Digi 2
I have used JR 3421, 9411 sevos in my electra without any issues.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Meesh

My buddy has a 12FG and uses nothing but JR Servos running A123 battaeries on nthe Rx.

The 12FG has 12 Proportional and 2 Digital channels just like the 12Z and the 14MZ
Old 02-17-2011, 10:08 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Thanks, guys. Stick a fork in me cuz I'm done. 12FG it is!
Old 02-17-2011, 10:11 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

I use JR servos on all my stuff, digital , analog and never had a problem. Go to the Futaba web sight for info.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:16 AM
crhammond
My Feedback: (21)

The only servos you might have an issue with are Hitec and even then most work or can be made to work with signal buffering.  JR servos are no problem at all.

Most of the conditional logic in the 14mz is in the 12z too.  I just like how easy the 14mz is to program and the big screen is a major benefit. 3 years ago I said no way its worth the extra money.... it was worth the extra money but it is   I use the sound feature on the 14mz so I know when I have flipped swithces, selecetd a model etc that I flipped the one I though I did.  I doesn't quite make up for model match but it has stopped the problem of selecting the wrong model for me.

That said it's hard to think of a scenario the 12z wouldn't handle programming-wise.

The 12 FG is MUCH harder to navigate than the 12z for me.  It is also missing a fair number of features compared the the 12z and 14mz but I can't say what they are off the top of my head.  I just remember last summer a friend with a 12FG and those of us with 12/14z trying to help him and there were quite a few things missing from the menus.  But even then the 12FG is a very capable radio and you can use a high capacity NIMh or LIPo battery which is way better than the camcorder packs the 12/14z use.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:24 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Hi,

Anyone had any problems using JR digital servos in the Futaba system? Also, where are you guys finding this info?? I've been on Tower's site and I didn't see anything about the 12FG having 14 channels??

I have been using JR servos on Futaba radios for a long time, with no problems at all ... The 12FG has 12 proportional channels, and 2 on/off channels

~V~
Old 02-17-2011, 07:43 PM
nxtdoor
My Feedback: (10)

I've had 12FG since they came out as FM. I converted to 2.4 when it became available. It has worked flawlessly since.

With the latest (Dec. 2010) update, the 12FG has nearly every prgramming feature that the 12Z and 14MZ have. This is the best feature of the current Futabas compared to other radios and they good about posting updates and they are free!

I got the 12FG after picking up a friends 12Z; FG is way lighter. You can easily fit two Li-Ion cells in the battery compartment and end up with a transmitter that can last all day and is even lighter than stock.

Why the 12Z has two processors I don't understand; does it program faster or what?

I think the major difference between the FG and Z are the sticks; they feel a little better to me, but not for the difference in price.

Once you become accustomed to the programming, it's easy to use.

Too each their own.

Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.