Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Solid radio for RC jet flying

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Solid radio for RC jet flying

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Factorypilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solid radio for RC jet flying

Hey guys,

After a long break, I havedecided to get back into RC. I left off just prior to getting into jets. Obviously, I'm not going to jump right into trying to fly jets (although I fly them in real life, I rememberrcbeing slightly differenthehe), but I would like to get your recommendations on a solid RC transmitter setup for rc jet flying.

I tend to buy ahead of where I'm at, and I've looked at a few posts regarding transmitters here, but would love to hear your opinions. Also, is the process still the same for getting turbine qualified as it was five years ago? I seem to remember that you had to fly high performance rc aircraft (eg. fast) and then get a special license accompanied with a "checkride" of sorts by an authorized "check airman". If there's anything else you feel I should be aware of, please don't hesitate to post it!

Anyways, great to be back into the hobby and I look forward to your responses!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:07 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Solid radio for RC jet flying

welcome back to the hobby...........

as for the radios, this might start a war here with a few, but you have to choose what you have always felt comfortable flying, I would only recomend atleast a 9 channel radio, some of the 12 and 14 channel radio, either JR or Futaba are popular with the jet set guys.

and as for the turbine waiver, the biggest change has been that you now have to use a turbine powered aircraft minimum 12lbs to take your waiver test flight

Mark
Old 03-06-2011, 07:16 PM
fw190pilot

Really any of the major brands of radio will do. I personally like the Airtronics 10 channel real easy to program and about half the cost of Futaba or JR. Have at least 70 jet flights and hundreds of non jet flights without any radio problems at all. More a question of personal preference.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:06 AM
Jet20
My Feedback: (2)

I can atest to the value of the Airtronics SD-10. What you get for the price can't be beat. I've been flying it in all my jets since the radio came out a couple years ago and love it.

Chris
Old 03-07-2011, 09:27 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a 12 channel radio if you want to "buy ahead". Less channels will work with a more simple jet, but the additional channels will provide you with more programming flexibility and the ability to support a more complex model down the road. Pick the brand that you're most comfortable with. My experience has been with Futaba and JR, both of which have their pros and cons, none of which make one better than the other IMO. Although the upper-end Futaba radios (14MZ/12Z) have nice features like lithium-ion batteries, SD Cards, fully assignable switches, etc. Practically speaking it comes down to personal preference, budget, etc. FWIW, I use a 12X.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I just got a Futaba 12FG, and I'm devoting one day per page to understanding the manual....
Old 03-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Redline7000

I'm planning on substituting the 72Mhz module on my Multiplex Evo for a Weatronic 2.4 system. You just can't beat Multiplex's programming flexibility with Weatronic's solid signal. I also own an Airtronics SD10 but prefer my Royal Evo 12.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:23 PM
highhorse

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Hi,

I just got a Futaba 12FG, and I'm devoting one day per page to understanding the manual....
The sure way to make a million bucks in this hobby would be to write an UP TO DATE manual with lots of pretty pictures and lots of specific how'-to's, worded in ENGLISH rather than JAPLISH, and written for normal dudes rather than engineers. Call end points end points. Call expo expo.

"Futaba xxZ for dummies" please.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:42 PM
GrayUK

Futaba 12FG
Old 03-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Koenieboy

ORIGINAL: GrayUK

Futaba 12FG
+1
Old 03-07-2011, 02:00 PM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Futaba 12Z ............former JR user
Old 03-07-2011, 02:11 PM
FILE IFR

Hi,

Shaun, there must be an English tutor in your area to help you move along faster.

Sorry Bud, I had to say it.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:12 PM
dubd

Hi,

It took me 3 days per page to get through that manual! ;-)
Old 03-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Jeremy_D

12fg - excellent radio with free software updates. A new update is due very soon with a rumor that there will be a channel increase, which may be true considering they just updated the 8fg to a 14ch on the free update released last week!(12 proportional + 2 digital)
Old 03-07-2011, 03:15 PM
indubitably
My Feedback: (14)

You need all the channels for ease of set up.
Aelerons 2
Flaps 2
Rudder 1-2
Elevator 2
Throttle 1
Brakes 1 (mandatory)
Gear 1
Rudder trim 1
Gear down trim 1

The minimum for ease is 12 channels, do not use Ys or Matchboxes unless forced to.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:51 PM
dw_crash
My Feedback: (6)

Gents,

I still use a 72Mhz radio for my jets. The trick is I use a Weatronics receiver that give me 20 programmable outputs. So....I still have my favorite 8 channel radio....Tracker 8 by Aritocraft....with the high tech stuff of weatronics. A good friend uses the same setup but with a JR 9303 radio. The Weatronics give you everything you need.

DW_Crash
Old 03-07-2011, 04:02 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jeremy_D

12fg - excellent radio with free software updates. A new update is due very soon with a rumor that there will be a channel increase, which may be true considering they just updated the 8fg to a 14ch on the free update released last week!(12 proportional + 2 digital)
My 12FG already has 26 proportional channel operation and two switched with the Multiprop system why do I need more.

Mike
Old 03-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

If you buy JR, make sure it has DSMX as DS2 is Sianara, Adios, Tango Uniform...

Futaba, Airtronics, Hitec and DSMX would be fine IMO. I prefer the Hitec Aurora 9 as best bang for the buck...
Old 03-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Mitchell-RCU
My Feedback: (49)

The Futaba 14MZ. My kingcat has every servo on an indvidual channel. No Y harnesses and no Matchboxes and one channel left for the smoke system.

Mitchell
Old 03-07-2011, 06:38 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Redline7000

I'm planning on substituting the 72Mhz module on my Multiplex Evo for a Weatronic 2.4 system. You just can't beat Multiplex's programming flexibility with Weatronic's solid signal. I also own an Airtronics SD10 but prefer my Royal Evo 12.
Since neither M-Link or JETI are available here, this is probably the route I'll go also. Don't want to give up my EVO.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:45 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: Mitchell-RCU

The Futaba 14MZ. My kingcat has every servo on an indvidual channel. No Y harnesses and no Matchboxes and one channel left for the smoke system.

Mitchell

Y harness? What's a Y harness?

12FG

Marty
Old 03-07-2011, 07:10 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Hi,

I love my 12FG, but brother, if you can understand the manual, you are my hero! Teach me once you figure it out.

BTW, I have each servo on my Skymaster L-39 on a dedicated channel. No 'Y' harness, no matchboxes.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:36 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

Hi,

I love my 12FG, but brother, if you can understand the manual, you are my hero! Teach me once you figure it out.

BTW, I have each servo on my Skymaster L-39 on a dedicated channel. No 'Y' harness, no matchboxes.
Futaba manuals for the most part are useless. Fortunately much of the 12FG is intuitive and when I can't figure something out I just go to Futabas FAQ page.

Marty
Old 03-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Factorypilot

Gentlemen,

Great information - many thanks! Did some additional research in talking to some of the local jet guys; the overwhelming recommendation was the Futaba 12FG, and not coincidentally, I saw a lot of 12FG recommendations .

Got myself set up with a soon-to-be-soldtrainer jet (I actually saw it fly just yesterday) and I have a fewguys that even offered to help me out when it comes to instruction (a couple of them are actually able to sign off on a waiver when the time comes). The jet itself is very simple no-frillstrainer at a great price (it already comes with the tanks, servo's etc- only missingthe engine).

Iwas glad to see that there are jets out there that you can actually train on (not as a beginner rc guy of course, but as someone who has some decentstick time).Anyways, I'm sure I'll be pestering you guys with my newbie questions from time to time,but I just wanted to say "thanks" for the input you all gave! I'm pretty much a bookworm when it comes to technical stuff, I'll be curious to see what I can make of the 12FGmanual

Best regards,

- Steve
Old 03-08-2011, 05:59 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

I think you'll be very satisfied. The more I use my 12FG, the more I like it. It's a great radio, good bang for the buck.