Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

How many of you use more than 10 channels?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How many of you use more than 10 channels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Factorypilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many of you use more than 10 channels?

Hey guys,

In looking at the cost differential between the Futaba 12FG and the Futaba 10CG, I'm wondering how many of you actually use more than 10 channels on your jets? If i'm not going to be getting into flying twin jet 20K+ models, how likely is it that I'm ever going to need 12 channels?

With a price difference of ~ $400.00 I need to make sure the expense is justified.

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2011, 01:36 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: How many of you use more than 10 channels?

To put it in computer terms channels are like hard drive space, it doesn't matter how many or mow much you have you always find a way to use all of them and end up wishing you had more.

I would go with the 12.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:47 PM
DougV

I will get the 8FG before the 10C. The 8FG is based on the 12FG software, and the 8FG is now a 14 channel radio (12 fully proportional +2 on/off) and you can update the radio just like the 12FG.

Doug.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:51 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I do, and even though you think you never will, you never know. Heck, at one time, nobody ever thought we'd need more than 9 ch.

Also something to consider; the 10C, I believe, is 8 proportional & 2 switched (on/off), so that could limit you later on. If you got the 12, that should be last radio you would ever need, plus it's 14 ch. (12 + 2).

FWIW
Old 03-15-2011, 02:08 PM
jetflyr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Factorypilot

Hey guys,

In looking at the cost differential between the Futaba 12FG and the Futaba 10CG, I'm wondering how many of you actually use more than 10 channels on your jets? If i'm not going to be getting into flying twin jet 20K+ models, how likely is it that I'm ever going to need 12 channels?

With a price difference of ~ $400.00 I need to make sure the expense is justified.

Thanks!
We are having that conversation, right now, here at home.
Several of us are flying the 12 (both "Z" and "FG") and using 12 channels. (BVM BobCats, CompArf Flash).
One of our "New Jet Guys" has a 10.....he now has 4 Smartfly Equalizers in the Flash, and just put one in the BobCat.
The 8+2 (only 8 proportional channels) has bitten him.
Add another guy who has the Airtronics 10 to the equation and the work-around in setups get frustrating!

The beauty of the 12 is the 12 proportional channels, so each servo gets its own channel and the ability to fine tune without an additional "box" plugged in between servo and receiver. (An additional benefit is the 2 additional "on-off" channels...so it's really a 14.

The item not being discussed is ergonomics. The dollar difference made me scratch my head when I bought my 12Z, and I purchased it because the feel of the transmitter in my hands, and the feel of the sticks, which was FAR superior to the feel of the 10 and 12FG. That being said, I would still vote for the 12 ... with whichever feels best to you (not everyone else in the shop) being the way to go.

Good Luck!
Greg
Old 03-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Zagzoo
My Feedback: (28)

I just sold my 10C and bought the new 8FGA and did the software update to 14 (you can get the 8FGA w/ a R6108SB receiver for $412 shipped on ebay brand new). I used up all 10 channels on every jet. Now I can use more for ailerons and elevators on there own channel, smoke, flaps (2 channels) rudder on 1, steering on 1, etc...
Old 03-15-2011, 03:15 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Go look on futabas website and check there new s bus video, the future is coming and 8 plus channel radios are no longer required for basic jet stuff. High level radio will just give diverse programming options
Old 03-15-2011, 03:20 PM
cmjets

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Hello:

Now I have a 14MZ, before I had JR10X, the question not is how much radio channels ??? I think that is, How much receiver channels ??? With my JR in spektrum system I used AR9000 receiver, only 9ch and I used one Machtbox for Flaps and "Y" extensions in ailerons and rudder.

Because in my bobcat I use 7 channels in the radio for fly, but I use in the receive 10ch:

1.- elevator
2.- Aileron 1
3.- Aileron 2
4.- Flap 1
5.- Flap 2
6.- Wheel rudder
7.- Ruders (2 servos and "Y" extension
8.- Retracts
9.- Wheel brakes
10.-Engine

You can put the 2 servos Flaps in only one channel, but is possible that you have problems for center and adjust the travels. And if you want put smoke you will need another channel.

In my F-18 with 15 servos, I will use all channels in my FUTABA receiver and I will conect two or more servos in the same channel.

For this reason I think that no is a problem of radio channels for functions if not receiver channels for control each servo. Of course, if you have a 10ch radio you no will use a 14ch receiver.

BR from Spain.

Carlos.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:40 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a JR12X and I have used almost all 12 channels, but really I've only done so because it's easier to set up certain surfaces. When I first started flying jets I had an 8 channel radio and it was fine, truth is, I use the extra channels for convenience but I could fly all of my jets on as little as 8 channels. I have never NEEDED more than 10.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:43 PM
siddus74

I have a 10CG with a 6014HS I like it, it does everything I need it to do . . .

Scott.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Race21
My Feedback: (20)

From George:
Also something to consider; the 10C, I believe, is 8 proportional & 2 switched (on/off), so that could limit you later on. If you got the 12, that should be last radio you would ever need, plus it's 14 ch. (12 + 2).

EXACTLY RIGHT.... can limit your application with out power boards or match boxes.

From jetflyr:
The beauty of the 12 is the 12 proportional channels, so each servo gets its own channel and the ability to fine tune without an additional "box" plugged in between servo and receiver. (An additional benefit is the 2 additional "on-off" channels...so it's really a 14.

The item not being discussed is ergonomics. The dollar difference made me scratch my head when I bought my 12Z, and I purchased it because the feel of the transmitter in my hands, and the feel of the sticks, which was FAR superior to the feel of the 10 and 12FG.

Again...+1

I own both a 10CAP and a 12Z. I have set up heli's, a 100cc bird w/a Smart-fly Eq-10 and a 12S EDF jet on the 10C. All can be done and it is managable with a 10C but I always feel like I am having to work around something mostly because of having only 8 proportional channels. Again, it can be done but the 12Z is just a much, much more capable radio and it really is not that hard to learn.

My 10C is still a great radio and I still have it programmed. I did send it in to have most of the 2 position switches changed to 3 position switches. I did that mostly for heli nonsense but it is useful to me to have 3 rates on my "B" switch for rudder/nws on my jets (probably like most jet guys). The 12Z comes with 3 pos switches from the get go. I won't sell my 10C or get rid of it because it is worth more to me than I could get for it and it makes a dang nice back up.

The 10C is a very fine radio. However, had I bought the 12Z first it would be my only radio.

One other thing, my 10C has the module in the back so I can switch between 2.4 and 72 should I want to. One drawback is that the module sticks out far enough that a transmitter tray really doesn't fit the 10C very well. I don't fly with one so it's not a problem but you may want to consider that. I don't know if that is set up the same way on the 10G or not.

R21
Old 03-15-2011, 04:32 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had a 12Z for several years, I really like it. As others have said it is actually 12 + 2 switched channels.

I know the 12FG and the 12Z can use a Futaba item called the MPDX-1. The MPDX-1 lets you convert 1 proportional channel into 8 non flight proportional channels each (and you can use up to 2 MPDX-1 simultaneously).....that means you can get up to 10 proportional channels, 2 switched channels and 16 additional (slower) proportional channels for things like nosewheel steering, flaps, speedbrakes, brakes, throttle, etc.

that is 28 total channels!
Old 03-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

And don't forget the additional mix flexibility using VC......virtual channels.....

Trouble is my 68+ Intracranial Chipset address limit is 8 channels unless I do a couple of Starbucks Quad Vente Lattes before I sit down to program a 14 channel jet...
Old 03-15-2011, 05:32 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

12 channels needed if power expander not used[8D]
Old 03-15-2011, 05:56 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

I have had a 12Z for several years, I really like it. As others have said it is actually 12 + 2 switched channels.

I know the 12FG and the 12Z can use a Futaba item called the MPDX-1. The MPDX-1 lets you convert 1 proportional channel into 8 non flight proportional channels each (and you can use up to 2 MPDX-1 simultaneously).....that means you can get up to 10 proportional channels, 2 switched channels and 16 additional (slower) proportional channels for things like nosewheel steering, flaps, speedbrakes, brakes, throttle, etc.

that is 28 total channels!
I believe the MPDX-1 only works when using pcm or ppm.

Marty
Old 03-15-2011, 08:07 PM
Factorypilot

Guys,

Really excellent information - thanks so much!  I'll go ahead and get the 12 channel Futaba; don't know if I'll get the "Z" or not, unless it does something spectacular above and beyond the FG I'll probably just stick with that
Old 03-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Zagzoo
My Feedback: (28)

Guys,

Really excellent information - thanks so much! I'll go ahead and get the 12 channel Futaba; don't know if I'll get the ''Z'' or not, unless it does something spectacular above and beyond the FG I'll probably just stick with that
Get the 8FG, $400ish.. you can upgrade it to 12 + 2 channels!! same as a 12FG just cheaper.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:48 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

the FG series of Futaba radios have had pot issues with the TX .. do a search on 12fg pot centering issues here on RCU ... I returned my 12fg after i found this out and got the 12z (same pots/gimbals as the 14mz)

~V~
Old 03-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

2 elevators
1 rudder
1 nosewheel steering
2 ailerons
2 flaps
brakes
retracts
engine

Thats 11 channels right there...and if you want to do smoke, or lights......or have an F-15 with 2 rudders.........or want an airbrake........
Old 03-16-2011, 02:30 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wayne22

2 elevators
1 rudder
1 nosewheel steering
2 ailerons
2 flaps
brakes
retracts
engine

Thats 11 channels right there...and if you want to do smoke, or lights......or have an F-15 with 2 rudders.........or want an airbrake........
Add in Vectored thrust for Yaw and Pitch and there you have another two, add a gyro for any of the controls and there is another channel for gain adjustment, you can't have too many channels.

Mike
Old 03-16-2011, 03:19 AM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my first jet I used almost all 12 channels (I have a 12Z). However in my subsequent jets, I am using fewer channels because I use PowerBoxes. The Powerboxes (or other types of channel expanders) allow you to use fewer channels because you can adjust the output(s) of the servos (for a particular channel) independently. I have seen a fair amount of jets using 8 or 9 channel radios (with a PowerBox). Just something to think about .......
Bob
Old 03-16-2011, 03:43 AM
Robrow

I'll go with you can never have too many, at least 1 channel per servo, non of that Y lead and matchbox nonsense. So you have no restrictions on mixing, matching and servo orientation, etc. Also no being told by the manufacturers which Rx output should operate which servo/function, you should be able to decide. This is 2011 after all?

Rob.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:55 AM
Factorypilot

ORIGINAL: Zagzoo

Guys,

Really excellent information - thanks so much! I'll go ahead and get the 12 channel Futaba; don't know if I'll get the ''Z'' or not, unless it does something spectacular above and beyond the FG I'll probably just stick with that
Get the 8FG, $400ish.. you can upgrade it to 12 + 2 channels!! same as a 12FG just cheaper.
I'll look into this Zag. The extra two channels are off/on?
Old 03-16-2011, 03:57 AM
Factorypilot

ORIGINAL: BalsaBob

In my first jet I used almost all 12 channels (I have a 12Z). However in my subsequent jets, I am using fewer channels because I use PowerBoxes. The Powerboxes (or other types of channel expanders) allow you to use fewer channels because you can adjust the output(s) of the servos (for a particular channel) independently. I have seen a fair amount of jets using 8 or 9 channel radios (with a PowerBox). Just something to think about .......
Bob
Hi Bob - I'll have to do some research on the powerboxes. I've been out of the RC loop for a while and a lot of things have changed lol.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:18 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ianober

To put it in computer terms channels are like hard drive space, it doesn't matter how many or mow much you have you always find a way to use all of them and end up wishing you had more.

I would go with the 12.
I love your example.
I am still using my JR 9ch 9303, But for the first time I am thinking of getting the FUTABA TX FG8 and do the upgrade to 12 or 14 ch for $500 [X(] This move is a no brainer . 72mhz I trust JR. 2.4 Ghz im leaning Futaba.

I forgot
My Opinion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.