Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skymaster MB339 throws , CG etc ??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster MB339 throws , CG etc ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 10:14 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Skymaster MB339 throws , CG etc ??

Well, My MB339 is almost ready to go [8D] .. (Just waiting to get my P200 back from JetCat to drop back in it, had some ECU/started issues ) For all of you guys flying these, (including the FeiBao ones, as its pretty much the same plane) ...

are you using the factory recommended throws ? how much rudder travel will i need to hold knife edge ? ( 8611a on all surfaces) also, with the live hinging on top of the ailerons, does anyone find the need for aileron differential to make up for the lessened down aileron surface exposure ?

also, what CG works for you ? looking for opinions here .. I have read some like it around 1/2" tail heavier then the on-the-tube factory CG ...

I cant wait to fly this jet !! especially seeing it in the air with all its tanks on ( 3 per wing including tip .. and yes, the full scale Trece ones did fly like this )

all the best ,,

~V~
Old 03-29-2011, 06:52 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Skymaster MB339 throws , CG etc ??

Used the factory settings and they worked very well in this plane..and that means a big chunk of lead in the nose (used a Rhino). You can fly it slighter tail heavy, but the landings will not be as pretty and easy as they are with the standard CG. Didn´t felt the need of diferential on the ailerons.. rolls and turns are nicely done. Be ready for a lot of ground effect and use as much as you can the flaps on landings.

Knife edge flight? forget this stuff and fly it as it should in a scale manner, please! Just watch the videos of the Frecce Tricolori to see what they do in their routines.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:50 PM
furloughed ual
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Program in some crow with full flaps...helps slow it downa and ads "washout" also. Put it on a seperate switch if u wann try it out and not be commited to use it. I have prob 5/8" in mine.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:38 PM
furloughed ual

I balanced mine per the specs, then I removed 8 oz from the nose and it is still well behaved...hated the feel on the stock setting. Very nose heavy feel in rolling manuvers.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:39 PM
wojtek

wow, 5/8" crow mix ... ill set it on a slider or a dial, and end up mixing it with full flaps likely .. do you need any up/down elevator trim mixed in ? .. also thanks for the note on the CG .. I'll start with it 1/4 back and take it from there ....

Another week or two and shes going up !

.. i cant wait ... especially to see it in the air with all the tanks hanging under .. I have watched several Trece videos and it definitely makes for practicing some cool scale aerobatic routines

thanks guys !

~V~
Old 04-04-2011, 05:59 PM
furloughed ual

You know, I dont remember how much trim I have with flaps...I have it set up as a condition with seperate trims for all flap settings, so I trim it once and forget about it....dont think it's much though.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:35 PM
wojtek

that's a good idea, i never though of setting up conditions and setting trim mixes that way .... thanks !

~V~
Old 04-04-2011, 06:43 PM
furloughed ual

Using the Futaba, it's not really a mix....I set 3 conditions on my flap switch....CLEAN, MID, LANDING. Then I go in and seperate the trims for the flight controls....leave the throttle as a combo for trims...it never changes that way, which is what u want. By doing this, take off.....trim the jet, go to mid flaps, retrim the jet, then go to full flaps and trim again.....done! The trims are now remembered with every "Condition" (flap setting). No screwing around with mixing, flying, remixing, flying, and mixing again to get what u want. Have no idea about JR if that's what u have.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:04 PM
wojtek

I have a 12z .. so im good to go .. I just never realized trims can be split and separated between conditions. With all the available options, mixes , curves, etc, there is not much you could not do on this thing

~V~
Old 04-05-2011, 12:35 AM
furloughed ual

I use the 12Z also.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:24 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

About the pitch atitude change with flaps you will not have any problem, everything happens in slow motion with it and you can trim the elevator for flaps without issues. Mine was 4% of down elevator with 45% flap at approach speed. It would be more at higher speeds or if you will use the aft cg setting.

Also remember to rotate it smoothly and land it in the usual flat attitude, unless you want to re-shape the ventral fins! you will love this plane.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:58 AM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

P-200????[X(] The one I built for Skymaster sometime ago flew awesome on a P-160. It would knife edge from sun up to sundown with very little rudder. It seemed ballistic with a P-160 so I hope you are dialing down the P-200. I would worry about the airframe with that motor in it.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Rols330

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, P200 is far too much for a Skymaster 339. I used P-160 power and it flew superbly well. The aim is to fly it scale and not like a rocket!!

I'm now going for the Cmodel's MB339 from Italy. www.cmodels.it It's 3m long, pretty much the same as the Airworld MB339... You could put a P200 in this one...

Rgds,
Old 04-06-2011, 01:36 PM
wojtek

I'm not planning on dialing the P200 down at all, just speed limiting the plane to around 175. I installed a pitot tube in the vertical fin and intend to use the JetCat cruise control for maintaining consistent and uniform speed for a nice scale routines as well. Even pulling into verticals, i doubt I'll be at full... I have a CAI Raptor with a Nexus for my speed plane ..

The only reason i used a P200 is because that's what i have. I also have a 36lbs engine, but that's for another project. Since the 339 tends to float as it is, i doubt the extra 2 lbs will male much of a difference, and fuel consumption at lower thrust is not bad at all on the p200, so fuel is not an issue either ( carrying around a gallon anyway, lol )

~V~